E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Steering Wheel "Phone Button" Wiring

12-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
thethief1
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 316i Sedan 2011

Exclamation Steering Wheel "Phone Button" Wiring

Hello to all,
First with all my respect to brilliant DIY guys here.
I have a 2011 E90 316i Sedan with BMW Professional Audio. No iDrive, No Bluetooth, No Sport Wheel, No Cruise Control, No Seat Heaters.

I have a 3rd party Bluetooth Car Kit (Belkin CarAudio Aux) which I love it. It is a simple "Lighter Powered Bluetooth Aux-in" car-kit. It has it's onboard MICROPHONE and a button for some functions like hang-up, play,pause etc.

What I want to do is; to connect the PHONE button (which is located at the bottom- right on the left side of the steering wheel) to Belkin's Button.

I soldered all necessary wires and extended bluetooth's main module which allows me to control with an external switch. All functions work like a charm. Also I installed the module into the front-dome to place the MIC into the right place. There's no problem up to here.

I took the airbag and Steering Wheel trim off and got into the circuit-board.

It was too hard for me to figure out this digital signal flow so I found another way.

Now I have two wires attached to my PHONE button on my SteeringWheel. And when I connect
the main module's switch to these wires, I can fully control the module. Everything works fine. Also all other multifunction buttons on the steering wheel are working to.
So, wires that I prepare are on the Steering Wheel side.
The point where I get stuck is getting these two wires after the COIL SPRING connections.

I have 6-PIN socket in the Steering Wheel, 4th and 6th pins are empty. (Photo Credit: 1AddictsAnonymous)

And There are two sockets one with 6PIN and one with 12PIN, after the COIL SPRING.

Which pins should I have to connect to get the signal? Without affecting any other system functions also.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethief1 View Post
Hello to all,
First with all my respect to brilliant DIY guys here.
I have a 2011 E90 316i Sedan with BMW Professional Audio. No iDrive, No Bluetooth, No Sport Wheel, No Cruise Control, No Seat Heaters.

I have a 3rd party Bluetooth Car Kit (Belkin CarAudio Aux) which I love it. It is a simple "Lighter Powered Bluetooth Aux-in" car-kit. It has it's onboard MICROPHONE and a button for some functions like hang-up, play,pause etc.

What I want to do is; to connect the PHONE button (which is located at the bottom- right on the left side of the steering wheel) to Belkin's Button.

I soldered all necessary wires and extended bluetooth's main module which allows me to control with an external switch. All functions work like a charm. Also I installed the module into the front-dome to place the MIC into the right place. There's no problem up to here.

I took the airbag and Steering Wheel trim off and got into the circuit-board.

It was too hard for me to figure out this digital signal flow so I found another way.

Now I have two wires attached to my PHONE button on my SteeringWheel. And when I connect
the main module's switch to these wires, I can fully control the module. Everything works fine. Also all other multifunction buttons on the steering wheel are working to.
So, wires that I prepare are on the Steering Wheel side.
The point where I get stuck is getting these two wires after the COIL SPRING connections.

I have 6-PIN socket in the Steering Wheel, 4th and 6th pins are empty. (Photo Credit: 1AddictsAnonymous)

And There are two sockets one with 6PIN and one with 12PIN, after the COIL SPRING.

Which pins should I have to connect to get the signal? Without affecting any other system functions also.

Thanks in advance.
The left-side wheel module control signals are brought out on pin 2. The right side module control signals are on pin 1, pin 3 is common to both. Pins 4 and 6 are for paddle-shift up/down signals, which is why they are empty on your car. Pressing the left-side buttons shorts out various resistors between pins 2 and 3, which generates signals that are decoded for each button function. Connecting to and shorting out these wires with the foil switch will disturb these functions. I suggest sourcing some compatible pins for your wires, using the empty pin 4 and 6 locations, and finding the mating connector on the other side. If this is the "after coil spring 6-pin connector" in your picture, check if pins 4 and 6 are empty, and install your BT module control wires in these locations.

Last edited by kentgbr; 12-30-2015 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
thethief1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr View Post
The left-side wheel module control signals are brought out on pin 2. The right side module control signals are on pin 1, pin 3 is common to both. Pins 4 and 6 are for paddle-shift up/down signals, which is why they are empty on your car. Pressing the left-side buttons shorts out various resistors between pins 2 and 3, which generates signals that are decoded for each button function. Connecting to and shorting out these wires with the foil switch will disturb these functions. I suggest sourcing some compatible pins for your wires, using the empty pin 4 and 6 locations, and finding the mating connector on the other side. If this is the "after coil spring 6-pin connector" in your picture, check if pins 4 and 6 are empty, and install your BT module control wires in these locations.
Thank you for The reply and suggestions. Do you know which harness socket do I have to use on The after Coil Spring side for these 4th and 6th pins?

Tested

On The wheel Side
pin connector's 1st, 2nd and 3rd pins

With ->

On The After Coil Spring Side
1. I tried The 6pin connector but no matching wires between them. I tested with multimeter, no beep except GND.

2. I tried The 12pin one and then I can Get beeps some of them but they are not in order, (pin1 is not Matching pin1)

I am going to test all wires in detail to figure out which of them matches each other.

Is there any other harness / socket on The after Coil Spring Side, except The ones I mentioned above that I should look for?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethief1 View Post
Thank you for The reply and suggestions. Do you know which harness socket do I have to use on The after Coil Spring side for these 4th and 6th pins?

Tested

On The wheel Side
pin connector's 1st, 2nd and 3rd pins

With ->

On The After Coil Spring Side
1. I tried The 6pin connector but no matching wires between them. I tested with multimeter, no beep except GND.

You could try bmw-planet.com

2. I tried The 12pin one and then I can Get beeps some of them but they are not in order, (pin1 is not Matching pin1)

I am going to test all wires in detail to figure out which of them matches each other.

Is there any other harness / socket on The after Coil Spring Side, except The ones I mentioned above that I should look for?
Wiring diagrams and connector information can be found at this site:

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e90/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
thethief1
Registered
Rep

Thank you very much I will check and inform The results.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
zhp pilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Did you ever figure out what wires are what? I'm trying to install a joycon adapter so I can use the steering wheel controls on my tablet but I'm not sure which ones to use. One would assume that the 6 pin adapter on the steering side would matched to the 6 pin coming out of clock spring.
Appreciate 0