E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 3rd Water Pump in One Year/15kms (N54)

11-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
mehr
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

3rd Water Pump in One Year/15kms (N54)

Hey guys,

I just had my water pump go out, fan kicking in at high speed, 2E81/2 codes, and activating the pump makes the infamous failed water pump noise.

The issue is that this is the THIRD time within one year of ownership (driven roughly 15k kms in the past year or roughly 9k miles) that the pump has failed.
The first time around I ordered the part and did the DIY myself, and then the pump lasted ~5k kms. The second time it failed I went to a local indy shop and had them replace it, thinking maybe I did something wrong. And now, after just 10k kms on the pump, it has failed yet again.

Car is an 07 335i, 6mt, w/ factory oil cooler.

I'm using the OEM BMW part, and had the shop replace the expansion tank, most of the hoses, thermostat, correct bleed procedure, etc.

Anyone have similar issues or can give me some ideas as to what could possibly be causing this? Car has zero other issues, and drives absolutely fine up until it eats its own water pump. There are no prior signs or codes before the failure, it seems one day it just suddenly dies.

Thanks,
-M
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Without knowing what is causing this, I would check the voltages going into the WP against known good references. Maybe an increased voltage is killing the electric WPs.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:30 AM   #3
jkoning
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6MT e92

Did you figure it out?
Appreciate 0