E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > my radio display (non i-drive) is failing

08-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #45
kenbrinkman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas View Post
So, you used the eBay service to repair, reinstalled the unit the sent you, and it all works. No registering of the head unit required? Did they send you back your head unit, or was it a rebuild of someone else's? I'm asking because I was told that radio replacement required recoding.
This eBay service repairs your specific radio. You take it out of your dash, send it to them, they put on a new LCD screen, they ship it back, then you reinstall it. I recorded my head unit's serial number and other info to make sure I received the same one I sent. As such, there is no registering/coding required. It recognized my BMW Assist/Bluetooth, Logic7, and iPod without any problems. It's like nothing happened, except I have a perfect display now. Simply plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #46
kenbrinkman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3series12 View Post
Gotcha, I didn't hear back from him until Tuesday night because he was on vacation, new displays were backordered and should be in on 8/10, another week without a radio....
Oh that's too bad, I'm sorry you're without a radio. But it'll be worth it when you get it back.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #47
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

@kenbrinkman
Thanks for the quick reply. This sounds like the way to go. This should probably get stickied, as I think this will be a bigger problem over the next few years.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #48
syl2us
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Have the same problem, it's unfortunate to see this kind of quality... picture attached - this is it on a good day.

Trying to figure out best options here:

1) Repair it

2) Buy new HU

3) Buy aftermarket HU

For the guys who got it repaired, were you able to have an inkling as to what the repairman did? Does the connector look changed out? Was the unit opened to ensure proper connections on the board? Was the actual LCD changed out?

Also wanted to know what aftermarket options are out there, I am going to do a little research myself. Any suggestions for replacement units?

Also wanted to know what are the downfalls of taking the OEM unit out? Bluetooth connectivity? Will aux jack in center console still work? Will controls on steering wheel work?
Attached Images

09-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #49
jbimmer3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl2us View Post
Have the same problem, it's unfortunate to see this kind of quality... picture attached - this is it on a good day.

Trying to figure out best options here:

1) Repair it

2) Buy new HU

3) Buy aftermarket HU

For the guys who got it repaired, were you able to have an inkling as to what the repairman did? Does the connector look changed out? Was the unit opened to ensure proper connections on the board? Was the actual LCD changed out?

Also wanted to know what aftermarket options are out there, I am going to do a little research myself. Any suggestions for replacement units?

Also wanted to know what are the downfalls of taking the OEM unit out? Bluetooth connectivity? Will aux jack in center console still work? Will controls on steering wheel work?

New one will cost 800 - 500 core = $300 from tisherbmw. Used ones usually go for around $200.

If you take out the OEM you will lose bluetooth aux and steering wheel controls. You will also not be able to have the dealer update the car through coding.

Car pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #50
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i had this problem a year ago but certain pixels were just dead. I got replaced under 3rd party warranty for $50 deductible. Replacement was $750 installed i think. New one had minor differences
      09-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #51
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
i just had the same thing replaced under warranty. Got lucky. My warranty ended last week. Sorry for everyones luck.

I had all the same issues too. normal at night when it was cool and dead pixels when it was hot outside.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #52
g911turbo
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Silver Sedan

Wow, sorry for bringing up the wrong / old thread. Appears this is already solved using this link

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635672

-----

Does anyone know the part number for JUST the segment display? Any one who disassembled a unit already, and can take a picture of any/all part numbers near the display portion? I'd be willing to research a replacement.

I wonder if this is something we could source ourselves. That display alone probably cost BMW less than 5 bucks, and should be available for much cheaper than even 200.

The back end of the head unit is what contains all your vehicle's specific info, so changing the display portion only should work. That is exactly what that repair service is doing...

Last edited by g911turbo; 03-11-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0