E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DPF Cleaner (Additive)

05-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #67
marchurley
Rep
Drives: e60 520d

thanks again.
Ive purchased the cable on ebay and l'll try it out when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #68
BAT5673
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2del View Post
Essentially, yes. Although that's a very simplified overview.
  • Get a cable; find a K-DCAN cable on ebay (here's my thread)
  • Hook up to a laptop; you'll probably get INPA software with the cable, but it's not a straightforward install. it's possible, though, clearly.
  • drive and clear the errors; simple as that - just clear the codes every time one appears - they'll begin to appear more slowly as the backpressure begins to decrease
I dun't see why the use of Forte /JML sort of additives will help as claimed
(i.e. claimed additive will lower the soot burn off temp to an extent lower than the exhaust temp resulting from normal city start stop driving)

if those additive were to be of value, one doesn't need to clear the code a few times and drive on the motorway.

not that BMW's cat converter are partly made of platinum (those additives may do damage to it)

my guess is DannyB and Ca2dels' method can also be achieved without using any additive=require the same amout of time and diesel, you need to drive on the motorway or A-road for a while anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #69
marchurley
Rep
Drives: e60 520d

errors cleared.

I got a cable but I was not able to get the car and the software to talk.
I have INPA installed, no issues but all I ever had was an unrecognized USB device ( I got this cable ).
Anyway before I got further frustrated I got a loan of a working scantool setup and I was able to clear the errors.
Similar to others I have some glowplug warnings and 480A and 481A as the current warnings.
I took it for a drive and cleared each 480A and/or 481A warning as the came in.
They came back about 20 times but finally they are all cleared.

Then I watched the mpg swing needle expecting to see some action but apart from normal behaviour I never noticed a unusual drop in mpg. SO I don;t think that the regen happened, and I was watching for it. I was on the motorway at this time, keeping my temps above 75, and doing about 70mph.

That was last evening, and the DPF light was not come back on since, I am cautiously optimistic that I have cleared the error, while being unsure as to whether the regen has actually happened.

Perhaps its time to get the cleaner in the tank?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #70
BAT5673
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchurley View Post
I got a cable but I was not able to get the car and the software to talk.
I have INPA installed, no issues but all I ever had was an unrecognized USB device ( I got this cable ).
Anyway before I got further frustrated I got a loan of a working scantool setup and I was able to clear the errors.
Similar to others I have some glowplug warnings and 480A and 481A as the current warnings.
I took it for a drive and cleared each 480A and/or 481A warning as the came in.
They came back about 20 times but finally they are all cleared.

Then I watched the mpg swing needle expecting to see some action but apart from normal behaviour I never noticed a unusual drop in mpg. SO I don;t think that the regen happened, and I was watching for it. I was on the motorway at this time, keeping my temps above 75, and doing about 70mph.

That was last evening, and the DPF light was not come back on since, I am cautiously optimistic that I have cleared the error, while being unsure as to whether the regen has actually happened.

Perhaps its time to get the cleaner in the tank?

1. That cable won't work, this one does:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/310346863381?...84.m1439.l2648

2. were the codes still present after the motorway drive?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #71
BAT5673
Rep

so good news, another confirmation, my 118d dpf problem has been solved with the method proposed above.

***this method works also without using any additives (I didnt use any and I had been with this warning light since late March /early April 2012 until now = another 4 to 5 tanks of diesel)

on a side note, within inpa (always use the most updated version e.g. inpa E90X-200, mine need the latest version of DDE7N47.ipo for N47D20 engine), you may have to read and delete errors within the "motor section" (can start deleting once you are on the motorway and in high speed crusing for a while, else its useless to del them before, 480a comes back every few seconds) since it gives one more error/info section called "info speicher" (info memory) where it gives regeneration status and amount of soot trapped in DPF, it would be zero after the regeneration.

another side note, watch out exhaust temp, it went to 500 deg C. in my case, the regen didnt start until I get to 160-180km/h range in 6th and had last for 5 minutes. My suggestion is to emphasize on speed rather than rpm, as i had earlier also tried to rev it with 4th/5th gear at 120-150 km/h; 3500-4500 rpm range, it will not raise the exhaust temp to the range required for a regen, in my case, that is almost 400 deg C.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #72
SLiMKhan
Tech Ninja
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Edition MSport (E90 08)

I've just had my DPF message come up the other day on iDrive.

Is there any point using a DPF cleaner before getting the codes cleared?

or do I need to clear the codes, put in the DPF cleaner and then try a force regen on a long run constantly clearing the codes and enabling the regen using INPA/DIS? I'm ordering this cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2510295900...84.m1497.l2649
and then i just need INPA or DIS57 apparently?

Car is a 320d 2008 (M Sport Special Edition ~180BHP) 94,000 miles

my local indy want £70 for a forced regen, or £500 for a DPF removal or remap (but i'm concerned about future MOTs etc)

advice or help or pointers would really be appreciated

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #73
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 330D, 1978 1275GT

If you have the cable, and the INPA to clear the codes, then the first step is to drive at normal motorway speeds, clearing the codes as they appear.

Keep checking the MPG needle - it will alter in response to the code clears, giving an indication that an active regen is taking place.

Forget the additive for now - it's useless if the car itself refuses to let the exhaust heat up to the required temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #74
SLiMKhan
Tech Ninja
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Edition MSport (E90 08)

Ok, got INPA 5 installed, waiting for my cable to arrive. Thats the right one right?

So take it for a run clearing and checking codes with INPA as someone drives and see if it starts regeneration as 1st step?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #75
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT5673 View Post
on a side note, within inpa (always use the most updated version e.g. inpa E90X-200, mine need the latest version of DDE7N47.ipo for N47D20 engine),

I've been trying for some time to conect to my E90's N47 engine
I can't seem to find a proper INPA for this
Can you direct me to where could I find this E90X-200 version you are talking about? google finds nothing

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #76
BAT5673
Rep

lights comes on again a while ago, use the same trick:
get a co-driver, ask him/her to press f4 (clear error memory) and read error memory every 10 seconds "once" you are in a clear highway with 160km/h +, gone within 3 minutes, its useless to do anything (be it additive or clear memory) before that.

EA 90X 200 is here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634863
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #77
Ishaqmir1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport

Quote:
Hopefully this'll be the final update from me regarding my DPF :-)

So, in short, I'm now very confident that the issue is now fixed, and the DPF is as 'clean' as it needs to be to perform active regeneration when needed.

Firstly, here's what I've learned:
  • Fault code 480A is caused by increased backpressure at DPF. Once this fault is logged, the DPF will NOT attempt regenerate. It will also abort any regen currently ongoing.
  • Fault code 481A is caused by significantly increased backpressure. Once this is logged, the iDrive or OBC will log "Particle Filter! Possible to continue journey..." This will reappear within 10 minutes of engine being switched on, provided 481A is present.
  • Exhaust temperature must be 200'C for any regeneration to be attempted (this cannot be checked via OBC)
  • A speed of 40mph (in 5th) is sufficient for an active (self) regeneration.
  • At 40mph, on a level road, fuel consumption will be significantly increased during regeneration (for example, from 50mpg before regen, to 30-35mpg during regen - as displayed on swing-meter)
  • A DPF cleaner (additive) will help the DPF regenerate. It lowers the exhaust soot burn-off temperature from ~450'C to ~200'C, meaning the filter may begin to burn off soot even under normal driving conditions.
  • A DPF cleaner (additive) will not solve a DPF warning on it's own. Once the cleaner has run through the system in a tank of fuel, the car must be able to regenerate. Otherwise you are back to square-one.
  • The amount of fuel in the tank must be above a certain level. Some say 10ltrs, in my experience this was more like 40-50ltrs)

Here's what I did, this morning.
  1. Drove for 20 minutes at a normal pace, to warm the engine to >75'C
    • "Particle Filter!" warning appeared.
  2. On a quiet A-road, I began driving at a steady 40mph (cruise control set)
  3. Read fault codes;
    • 480A, 481A present.
  4. Cleared codes
    • 480A appeared within 10 seconds.
  5. Cleared codes
    • MPG dropped from 50 to 30 immediately.
    • 480A appeared within 20 seconds
    • MPG returned to 50MPG immediately.
  6. Cleared codes
    • 480A appeared within 40 seconds
  7. Cleared codes
    • 480A did not reappear
    • After 15 minutes, MPG returned to 50+

I drove for another 30 miles, and 480A did not appear. Fuel consumption has gone from an average of 35-40mpg (displayed on iDrive) to 54mpg.

I think it's over...

Giving this thread some life again. I just registered on this forum to THANK the above member SO much for these amazing findings. Your knowledge has helped me completely clear my DPF on my 530d and made it run like new.

I have INPA and BMW DIS installed on my laptop and working flawlessly, so had lots of diagnostic tools at my disposal. The dreaded particulate filter warning came on, I then ran the DPF back pressure test with BMW DIS and the pressure was more then DOUBLE the maximum permissible, at 4000rpm it was 426mbar, max permissible is 200mbar LOL at idle I was getting around 75mbar, max permissible was around 30mbar.

So I went on the motorway with the Mrs and laptop connected, and using INPA got my wife to clear the codes etc just like the above member advised.
Felt car going in regen and then failed. Did it a few times and that's it, regenerated fully and did it so well that the DPF back pressure is now like the DPF is brand new. At idle its back down to just 5.9mbar, and at 4000rpm it's back to just 55mbar as opposed to 426mbar!!!

I was seriously thinking of getting the DPF deleted from the car.

I think the problem came about because I was tight and didn't change the egr and main thermostat. The car has done 146k miles and was running at just 65 deg C on the motorway, so I'm assuming that's what caused the regen to stop. Got those parts changed and now car is running at 93deg C.

Really cannot thank the above member enough, not even the dealers would know about this technique. My Mrs was so impressed too.

I got my cable and software from Cable Shack on eBay. VERY good, because software comes configured with it and works flawlessly with the cable. No point buying a cable and then having trouble with BMW DIS and INPA etc etc.

Ishaq
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #78
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishaqmir1 View Post
Really cannot thank the above member enough, not even the dealers would know about this technique. My Mrs was so impressed too.
Ishaq
You're welcome. A couple of other members have messaged to say it worked too - it does make sense.

Enjoy :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #79
martmitch
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 335d coupe

Quote:
Hopefully this'll be the final update from me regarding my DPF :-)

So, in short, I'm now very confident that the issue is now fixed, and the DPF is as 'clean' as it needs to be to perform active regeneration when needed.

Firstly, here's what I've learned:
  • Fault code 480A is caused by increased backpressure at DPF. Once this fault is logged, the DPF will NOT attempt regenerate. It will also abort any regen currently ongoing.
  • Fault code 481A is caused by significantly increased backpressure. Once this is logged, the iDrive or OBC will log "Particle Filter! Possible to continue journey..." This will reappear within 10 minutes of engine being switched on, provided 481A is present.
  • Exhaust temperature must be 200'C for any regeneration to be attempted (this cannot be checked via OBC)
  • A speed of 40mph (in 5th) is sufficient for an active (self) regeneration.
  • At 40mph, on a level road, fuel consumption will be significantly increased during regeneration (for example, from 50mpg before regen, to 30-35mpg during regen - as displayed on swing-meter)
  • A DPF cleaner (additive) will help the DPF regenerate. It lowers the exhaust soot burn-off temperature from ~450'C to ~200'C, meaning the filter may begin to burn off soot even under normal driving conditions.
  • A DPF cleaner (additive) will not solve a DPF warning on it's own. Once the cleaner has run through the system in a tank of fuel, the car must be able to regenerate. Otherwise you are back to square-one.
  • The amount of fuel in the tank must be above a certain level. Some say 10ltrs, in my experience this was more like 40-50ltrs)

Here's what I did, this morning.
  1. Drove for 20 minutes at a normal pace, to warm the engine to >75'C
    • "Particle Filter!" warning appeared.
  2. On a quiet A-road, I began driving at a steady 40mph (cruise control set)
  3. Read fault codes;
    • 480A, 481A present.
  4. Cleared codes
    • 480A appeared within 10 seconds.
  5. Cleared codes
    • 480A appeared within 20 seconds
  6. Cleared codes
    • 480A appeared within 40 seconds
  7. Cleared codes
    • 480A did not reappear
    • After 15 minutes, MPG returned to 50+

I drove for another 30 miles, and 480A did not appear. Fuel consumption has gone from an average of 35-40mpg (displayed on iDrive) to 54mpg.

I think it's over...

Registered to say thank you for this post, it saved my 335d from a costly bout of repairs that would have no doubt been a new dpf, a few notes I can add:

-I drove at 60 in 5th on cruise control on dual carriageway, bit too slow to be doing 40 with everyone else around doing nsl
-The error message came back around 20 times before I beat it and got a regen out of the car, don't give up just keep clearing it over and over
-I was using a wifi obd adaptor and the carly for bmw iphone app
-No re-emergence of the error codes since, 3 days now

Thanks again, this guide should be written in the owners manual!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #80
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

you're welcome.

I've sold that car and now drive a Merc... which had a DPF warning light appear yesterday! Time to learn something new.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #81
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

I had a MAF fault code which has prevented a regen in the last 2,000 miles and I now have a 480a code.

The MAF fault has now been cleared.

Am I right in thinking I just need to continually clear the error codes in INPA and this should result in a regen when on a long drive.

I take it there's no need to read then clear the codes each time?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #82
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

I had a MAF fault code which has prevented a regen in the last 2,000 miles and I now have a 480a code.

The MAF fault has now been cleared.

Am I right in thinking I just need to continually clear the error codes in INPA and this should result in a regen when on a long drive.

I take it there's no need to read then clear the codes each time?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #83
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

The MAF fault is fully resolved however the 480a remained.

I added a bottle of Forte DPF regenerator around 150 miles ago which may or may not have helped.

I requested a regen in Rheingold last night. After 3 10 mile round trips last night and this morning; the DPF status shows as being regenerated 2 minutes before I got home.

This would suggest that the Rheingold request can complete even with 480a present.

Happy days!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #84
obardain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 AY

ca2del I was pointed to your post, thanks, I used the Carly app finally got the 00480A code to clear, Filled up the tank and sat at 80 for about 30 miles.
My last regen was over 2500 miles ago, I was watched the soot mass deceasing, and the last regen reset back to 0.
I have one code, 003EED that refuses to clear, any one any ideas what that one was, searching hasn't gotten me a good answer yet..

Would be nice if BMW put something on the dash or the Condition Based Service, to let us monitor the DPF just like the oil, or brakes....
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:21 AM   #85
jab64000
Rep
Drives: 2007 335D

Dpf Regeneration Issues

Hi Gents, please forgive me for coming into the middle of this thread, but I have been having issues with my DPF filter as per this thread. I get a DPF alarm yellow light come up after about 10 mins driving and it has not really affected the car although I am worried that I might cause damage to the turbos.
I spoke to a couple of " specialists" and they are talking about £500 to clean the filter and do "diagnostics"

I have been on a couple of long Journeys recently and thought this would help clean out the DPF, but as I am reading the thread I am wondering because the DPF has been in alarm the regeneration cycle will not happen if that alarm is logged?

Reading the thread I see people are saying they cleared the alarm and then the regeneration worked ok- how do you clear the alarm codes and what equipment do you need?

I use a local garage and wondered if I should get him to clear the codes for me after the car is warm and then take it for a good blast up the motorway before the alarm come is again- or could I simply get him to do a forced regen after clearing the codes ( he is not as expensive as the Beemer specialists)

Can I buy a cheap kit from Eurocar parts to allow me to clear the codes myself and then give the car a blast?

Would a carbon clean of the engine do any good?

Car is running fine at the moment and on a long journey i was still getting 43 MPG at 80+ mph but I am worried I am doing it some damage. My missus was doing lots of short journeys recently when she was using my car and I don't think this was very good for it. I think If I clear it I should be ok if i use good diesel and take it for a thrash every so often?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
Jab
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #86
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab64000 View Post
Hi Gents, please forgive me for coming into the middle of this thread, but I have been having issues with my DPF filter as per this thread. I get a DPF alarm yellow light come up after about 10 mins driving and it has not really affected the car although I am worried that I might cause damage to the turbos.
I spoke to a couple of " specialists" and they are talking about £500 to clean the filter and do "diagnostics"

I have been on a couple of long Journeys recently and thought this would help clean out the DPF, but as I am reading the thread I am wondering because the DPF has been in alarm the regeneration cycle will not happen if that alarm is logged?

Reading the thread I see people are saying they cleared the alarm and then the regeneration worked ok- how do you clear the alarm codes and what equipment do you need?

I use a local garage and wondered if I should get him to clear the codes for me after the car is warm and then take it for a good blast up the motorway before the alarm come is again- or could I simply get him to do a forced regen after clearing the codes ( he is not as expensive as the Beemer specialists)

Can I buy a cheap kit from Eurocar parts to allow me to clear the codes myself and then give the car a blast?

Would a carbon clean of the engine do any good?

Car is running fine at the moment and on a long journey i was still getting 43 MPG at 80+ mph but I am worried I am doing it some damage. My missus was doing lots of short journeys recently when she was using my car and I don't think this was very good for it. I think If I clear it I should be ok if i use good diesel and take it for a thrash every so often?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
Jab
middle of thread? its 2 years old,,do not het it cleaned and do not listen to the garage,,you need to cjheck if your car can regen first,,are the stats ok? are the glow plugs and module ok...etc etc and as you have said,,take it for a good long drive you do not need to balst it,,just good steady drive..but if thermostats are no good then it will probably not regen....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #87
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

As rasa says you need to see if your car is actually capable of doing a regen. Depending on where you are there maybe someone on here who is local to you that might be willing to scan your car for a case of beer to see what fault codes you've got. Glow plug modules and or glow plugs are a very common failure. If there are any issues with these then your car will not regen. Thermostat is another very common failure that will prevent a regen.
Let us know how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #88
jab64000
Rep
Drives: 2007 335D

Thanks Gents
Appreciate 0