E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What is leather and what isn't in the car?

09-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

What is leather and what isn't in the car?

I have a 2013 335is E92 and I know this might sound like a dumb question but I'm really not familiar with leather and I am unsure what is leather and what isn't.

I know the steering wheel is, and I believe the center arm rest. What about the rest?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I have a 2013 335is E92 and I know this might sound like a dumb question but I'm really not familiar with leather and I am unsure what is leather and what isn't.

I know the steering wheel is, and I believe the center arm rest. What about the rest?
The way I understand it, the "seating surfaces" are leather, while the sides and back are not.

e brake boot seems to be, as well as the shifter surround on my automatic car.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
The way I understand it, the "seating surfaces" are leather, while the sides and back are not.

e brake boot seems to be, as well as the shifter surround on my automatic car.
I've ended up just considering anything that is soft-ish and not hard like vinyl to be leather...

Exceptions are steering wheel and E brake boot, which those I know for sure are leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
I've ended up just considering anything that is soft-ish and not hard like vinyl to be leather...

Exceptions are steering wheel and E brake boot, which those I know for sure are leather.
Also look for stitching. Wherever there is stitching there is leather...I believe. So the door panels would also be leather trimmed (though this may be limited to the premium package).
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
shawnsep
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

what about the center and door armrest? I have a distinct feeling that the center armrest is vinyl although it's stitched. it doesn't take to leather cleaning very well.
      01-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsep View Post
what about the center and door armrest? I have a distinct feeling that the center armrest is vinyl although it's stitched. it doesn't take to leather cleaning very well.
Oh yeah? I was 100% positive the center arm rest and door arm rests were leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Oh yeah? I was 100% positive the center arm rest and door arm rests were leather.

Yes I believe center console and door arms rests are leather; with a good leather cleaner, e.g., Zaino, they will clean up well.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

On regular e9x 3ers, only the seats, centre console arm rest and door arm rest/door card are leather (premium package only) e-brake boot and shifter boot are vinyl, don't let the stitching fool you. For non premium pack cars you get zero leather inside the car, it's all plastic/vinyl.

On the m3 on the other hand, you could order extended leather which wraps the entire centre console including the e-brake boot and shifter boot. It also wraps the entire lower dash of the car, glove box and surrounding black plastic parts. Plus the leather in the M cars is far softer and of much better quality than the Dakota leather in the regular 3ers
      01-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
On regular e9x 3ers, only the seats, centre console arm rest and door arm rest/door card are leather (premium package only) e-brake boot and shifter boot are vinyl, don't let the stitching fool you. For non premium pack cars you get zero leather inside the car, it's all plastic/vinyl.

On the m3 on the other hand, you could order extended leather which wraps the entire centre console including the e-brake boot and shifter boot. It also wraps the entire lower dash of the car, glove box and surrounding black plastic parts. Plus the leather in the M cars is far softer and of much better quality than the Dakota leather in the regular 3ers
Wow you sure the e boot and shiftier boot are vinyl? The Genuines shift boot is advertised as dakota leather and the e boot as leather on ECS.
Appreciate 1
shawnsep121.50
      01-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

They were on my 335 when I owned it and I definitely had the premium package. I noticed because my e-brake boot started cracking one day and I was like shit what a let down, that part is vinyl...
      04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
Kkritz163
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35i

Leather/Leatherette Seat Care

I have a 2009 328i base model. I've done some light research but I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what material my seats are made out of. It doesn't seem like real leather, more like leatherette.
The seats have experienced some wear and year over the years and I'm looking for the best method to care for/protect whatever material it is. I've done some research on the Chemical Guys Leather cleaner and conditioner, but I am not sure if the product is suitable for use on my seats.
Appreciate 0