E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > German Invasion @ LACR

05-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

German Invasion @ LACR

Hi gang, just got back from German Invasion.

There was a decent turnout, but only 7-8 335s.

Density altitude was around 6,300' when we started racing, and went up from there. On the plus side, traction was decent for LACR.

My best run was my first, 13.27@105, 2.14 60' time. My next run I cut a 2.00 60' time, but spun after the 60' and ran a 13.28. After that it was all down hill. I'm not positive but I think I had the best 335 times for the day.

A few of the cars, including mine, were experiencing weird altitude related issues. Mine would throw a code about the idle speed when sitting and go in to low boost mode. No matter what I tried I wasn't able to clear the code. Jeff from Eurobahn let me borrow a scanner and did what he could (thanks again, smoking hot model btw!), but we couldn't figure it out. As soon as I got closer to sea level I restarted the car and the code went away. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Another other guy who had the same code/problem doesn't have an Xede so I'm not sure it's related to the piggyback.

Anyway it was fun meeting Driver72 and the other forum members. Next time let's do the race at Irwindale or a sea level track!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Sounds fun despite the problems...

What other cars were there? Any pics?
      05-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post

A few of the cars, including mine, were experiencing weird altitude related issues. Mine would throw a code about the idle speed when sitting and go in to low boost mode. No matter what I tried I wasn't able to clear the code. Jeff from Eurobahn let me borrow a scanner and did what he could (thanks again, smoking hot model btw!), but we couldn't figure it out. As soon as I got closer to sea level I restarted the car and the code went away. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Another other guy who had the same code/problem doesn't have an Xede so I'm not sure it's related to the piggyback.

I live near lacr and my car runs GREAT!! NEVER THROWN AN ERROR AT ALL AT THIS ALTITUDE!!

oh btw maybe its cuase dont got procede
      05-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
I live near lacr and my car runs GREAT!! NEVER THROWN AN ERROR AT ALL AT THIS ALTITUDE!!

oh btw maybe its cuase dont got procede
What's your best at LACR with the procede?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Any other peoples times to compare?

Mat
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
What's your best at LACR with the procede?
i think it was a 13.69@107.028mph!! with 2 year old 235's in the rear!

Basically had no traction at all

I was going to try and make it out today but i had a big kart race at willow springs on saturday(yesterday)
and am so exhausted to even think about driving right now!
      05-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think it was a 13.69@107.028mph!! with 2 year old 235's in the rear!

Basically had no traction at all

I was going to try and make it out today but i had a big kart race at willow springs on saturday(yesterday)
and am so exhausted to even think about driving right now!

From your other post:

Quote:
3/3/07 lacr times
best STOCK time: 14.078 @ 100.053mph
best PROCEDE time: 13.690@102.424 mph
Lacr is 3k feet above sea level so take this in consideration and i also have NO TRACTION!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
Any other peoples times to compare?

Mat
I left a little early so I'll let them post up.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
From your other post:

here see for yourself bud!! like i said I live out here!! look at the DATES!!
I think this was 4/18 a couple months later bud!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=lacr

I think u even posted in the thread correct me if im wrong
      05-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
here see for yourself bud!! like i said I live out here!! look at the DATES!!
I think this was 4/18 a couple months later bud!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=lacr

I think u even posted in the thread correct me if im wrong
I see it now, I was looking at the link in your sig at first. Too bad we didn't get to race head to head.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
I see it now, I was looking at the link in your sig at first. Too bad we didn't get to race head to head.
no worries man,, ya i guess i should updat that! thanks for the heads up
      05-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Hey guys, it was great seeing everybody up there.
I really thought more people would of shown up tho, as we only had about 8 or so 335i's there.

As expected, track prep was significantly better today than a few weeks ago when there was none and it was like ice!
People were actually getting some decent traction. That's relative for LACR as it never has ATCO like traction. But the guys were cutting 2.0 60' times. And the officials there, actually stopped the runs about an hour in and sprayed down more DHT which aids in traction even more.
So, ET's were good because of the traction, but traps were down because of the heat (low 70's at 10 am, warmed to low 80's by 1 pm).

Everyone of course did their best runs in the first hour or so.
Once it started to heat up too much times increased.

Terry had the best time of the day at 13.27 @ 105 as would be expected as he had the most mods, the least weight and the only one with DR's.
Nice work Terry.

There was two guys with PROcedes.
Jon has a PROcede only in his car, everything else bone stock.
He ran a 13.398 @ like 104.
Very good considering all else was stock he had 1/2 tank of gas and at 230ish pounds is no lightweight like myself (165 lbs.)
SoCal335i also ran a 13.3x @ 104 as well in his PROcede coupe, but I think he also has exhaust, lowered suspension, and aftermarket wheels/tires.

Turbo Tuner cars were running 13.7's best @ 102+

The surprise of the day was HotRod162's car.
He has a factory freak!
He ran a 13.46 @ about 101-102 on a totally bone stock auto sedan!
He was averaging like 13.8's @ 101 and getting 2.0-2.1 60 ' times on the stock runflats!
He didn't even manually shift, just put it in DS and ran.
The only other stock car there was running 13.9's best, and averaging 14.0's @ 100
He did a heads up race with one of the turbo tuner guys. HotRod got the jump, but the Turbo Tuner car reeled him in BARELY and won the race by like .04 seconds and trap of about 1 mph more.
HotRod definitely has a keeper of a car, she runs like the wind!! Nice work Warren!

Of course because of the ridiculous DA, the 335i's walked all over the E46 M3's which were all in the low to mid 14's best.
The s/c M3's were running low 13's.

It was great fun for me just meeting everyone and watching.
I wish I had my car to run today too, but oh well, another time.
Everyone was great, and I think we showed the mostly Audi crowd that the BMW's are fast cars.

To give you guys a better idea of the conditions up there.
There was a guy with a bone stock Mercedes CLS 63 AMG.
Very nice guy and he was impressed with the 335i's.
He hasn't been racing too long, but his best time in the CLS 63 was a
13.3 @ 107+
Even he admitted that today was the best traction he's ever gotten at LACR, but still was having difficulty getting out of the gates without spinning too much...welcome to LACR, even on it's best of traction days, it stinks!

Take care all, will let the racers chime in with their official times.
Good job everyone!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Terry had the best time of the day at 13.27 @ 105 as would be expected as he had the most mods, the least weight and the only one with DR's.
Nice work Terry.
He was having problems with his Xede throwing codes up there tho.
I wish the scales up there worked, I would have liked to see my race weight. I come in at 200# fully loaded, and I had around 1/3 tank of gas. On the reduction side my car is probably 60# lighter than most due to the res delete and lighter rims/tires.

I'm still not sure what the deal with the code is. It would happen if I left the car sitting for over 20 minutes. It was extremely frustrating, mainly because it's never given me an issue before and turned the second half of the day in to a big waste of time. I'm not ready to blame the Xede yet, as the TT guy had the same idle speed code, but it needs to be looked in to.

So when does your new car show up?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey guys.. nice meeting you all! I really wished more BMWs came out though. The pits were just filled with Audi's.

Just got back about an hour ago. I loaded up pictures into the computer so PM me your car number with an email address and I will send them to you after I get some rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

I guess it's really no joke...that LACR track is just horrendous for traction and times. Anyway, thanks all for posting and at least you guys beat the E46 M3's!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I wish the scales up there worked, I would have liked to see my race weight. I come in at 200# fully loaded, and I had around 1/3 tank of gas. On the reduction side my car is probably 60# lighter than most due to the res delete and lighter rims/tires.

I'm still not sure what the deal with the code is. It would happen if I left the car sitting for over 20 minutes. It was extremely frustrating, mainly because it's never given me an issue before and turned the second half of the day in to a big waste of time. I'm not ready to blame the Xede yet, as the TT guy had the same idle speed code, but it needs to be looked in to.

So when does your new car show up?

I'd say your car is more like 100+ pounds lighter than the others there (or stock 335i's)
I think you said your 17" tires and Kosei wheels only weigh 42 pounds combined. That's 14 pounds lighter than stock on each wheel.
Then the lack of the Sport Package probably drops 20+ pounds, and the resonator delete drops another 20 ish.
That's a good 100 pounds lighter overall, and about 60 pounds of that reduction is rotational mass.

I don't know what the code deal you (with the Xede) and Rabyrab (with the Turbo Tuner) were having, and it surely needs to be looked into.
I know it bummed you and Rabyrab out big time.
I would call AA and ask them about the tune and see if they've tested it at elevation.

My coupe is scheduled to get in mid-late June (finish assembly is tomorrow).
But as you know, it will be scorching hot then, so we'll all have to plan a fall get to gether when its cooler.
I'll have my LSD in by then (it's sitting in the garage now) as well as the PROcede v2.0, the Morr Alloy VS7 19 inch wheels.

BTW all, I do believe EVERY 335i there today was an auto.
Where were the manual guys?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #17
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd say your car is more like 100+ pounds lighter than the others there (or stock 335i's)
I think you said your 17" tires and Kosei wheels only weigh 42 pounds combined. That's 14 pounds lighter than stock on each wheel.
Then the lack of the Sport Package probably drops 20+ pounds, and the resonator delete drops another 20 ish.
That's a good 100 pounds lighter overall, and about 60 pounds of that reduction is rotational mass.

I don't know what the code deal you (with the Xede) and Rabyrab (with the Turbo Tuner) were having, and it surely needs to be looked into.
I know it bummed you and Rabyrab out big time.
I would call AA and ask them about the tune and see if they've tested it at elevation.

My coupe is scheduled to get in mid-late June (finish assembly is tomorrow).
But as you know, it will be scorching hot then, so we'll all have to plan a fall get to gether when its cooler.
I'll have my LSD in by then (it's sitting in the garage now) as well as the PROcede v2.0, the Morr Alloy VS7 19 inch wheels.

BTW all, I do believe EVERY 335i there today was an auto.
Where were the manual guys?
My non-sport stock wheels/tires were around 54# each, these guys are around 43# each, so 44# saved on the rims/tires, and the res delete saves around 15#. Not sure on the non-sport vs. sport weight, but I'm definetly 30#heavier than your average driver, and could stand to drop 2-3 gallons of gas (15#?).

Anyway whatever the reason may be it feels great to have the quickest slip of the day. I can't wait to try out a 100 octane map at sea level!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

13.2 is not bad at all for LACR..

good times guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My non-sport stock wheels/tires were around 54# each, these guys are around 43# each, so 44# saved on the rims/tires, and the res delete saves around 15#. Not sure on the non-sport vs. sport weight, but I'm definetly 30#heavier than your average driver, and could stand to drop 2-3 gallons of gas (15#?).

Anyway whatever the reason may be it feels great to have the quickest slip of the day. I can't wait to try out a 100 octane map at sea level!
But today you were one of the lighter guys.
Both the PROcede owners were big guys (Jon was 230 and SoCal335i is probably 240-250). Jon (stock except the PROcede) had 1/2 tank gas too.
By sport package adding 20 pounds, I meant the other options that come with it (power lumbar seats, power folding mirrors, larger suspension pieces, etc)
And by 60 lbs in wheels/tires weight, I meant compared to the 56 pounds the sport package wheels/tires weigh.

Again, not taking anything away from you Terry, you did great today.
Just stating full disclosure facts that you had the lightest car (and least rotational mass) as well as probably one of the highest HP outputs with your mods (SoCal335i was probably making equal power) and the only one with DR's.
I was just hoping more 335i's with more mods would of showed up.
It was basically you and SoCal335i with really any mods whatsoever other than the "chips". I wanted to see more aftermarket exhausts as well as some manuals running for comparison.

We'll all hit Famoso in the fall. Still not a great track, but better than LACR.
I don't care about a 100 Octane map personally. I don't ever see myself running pure 100 Octane in there.
I like to run it in the same "everyday" mode I drive it in.
That's why, all my times are also set with my tire pressures at 35-37 psi on street tires.
I don't run DR's or even run low psi for additional traction.

I'm more curious to see what the effects of the LSD will do for times.
Hopefully we'll be able to compare LSD car's times to those with no LSD.
Now the wait for another 4-5 months before it starts to cool down again!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But today you were one of the lighter guys.
Both the PROcede owners were big guys (Jon was 230 and SoCal335i is probably 240-250). Jon (stock except the PROcede) had 1/2 tank gas too.
By sport package adding 20 pounds, I meant the other options that come with it (power lumbar seats, power folding mirrors, larger suspension pieces, etc)
And by 60 lbs in wheels/tires weight, I meant compared to the 56 pounds the sport package wheels/tires weigh.

Again, not taking anything away from you Terry, you did great today.
Just stating full disclosure facts that you had the lightest car (and least rotational mass) as well as probably one of the highest HP outputs with your mods (SoCal335i was probably making equal power) and the only one with DR's.
I was just hoping more 335i's with more mods would of showed up.
It was basically you and SoCal335i with really any mods whatsoever other than the "chips". I wanted to see more aftermarket exhausts as well as some manuals running for comparison.

We'll all hit Famoso in the fall. Still not a great track, but better than LACR.
I don't care about a 100 Octane map personally. I don't ever see myself running pure 100 Octane in there.
I like to run it in the same "everyday" mode I drive it in.
That's why, all my times are also set with my tire pressures at 35-37 psi on street tires.
I don't run DR's or even run low psi for additional traction.

I'm more curious to see what the effects of the LSD will do for times.
Hopefully we'll be able to compare LSD car's times to those with no LSD.
Now the wait for another 4-5 months before it starts to cool down again!
Actually I was a little disappointed, with that 2.0 60' on the second run I could have ran around 13.06, I just pushed it too hard and spun a little up top. I'll get it next time.

I don't think the exhausts don't do a lot aside from make more noise. Guys are only picking up 10rwhp with the full exhaust systems + procede. Taking out the res and 2nd cats but leaving the stock mufflers/piping probably didn't do much (5rwhp?).

The Nittos are awesome on the street, very well balanced with the soft sidewalls of the generals up front. I'll take the peg leg with Nittos over any other regular tire + LSD any day.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
SoCal335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92-TT Jet Blk Coral Red

It was nice meeting all of you today! I was surprised to see the supercharged M3's in the mid 13's!! I pulled a 13.37 with my procede, exhaust, 19"s, and PSS9's with my Manual trans. Congrats on the 13.2x run Terry, i didnt see it but i was wondering if you had the slip cause i wanted to see your trap speed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #22
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Sorry we didn't get to meet face to face, I was busy sorting out my lame code situation after the first few runs.

Attached is a photo of the slip.

Last edited by Terry335; 12-19-2007 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0