E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Every N54 owner upgrade vaccum lines!

06-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #45
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
1: Vacuum lines are very important. We recommend using a larger vacuum line to your BOV and tapping your manifold for a larger fitting, but just replacing them everywhere is a big deal.
2: Your video makes me feel like I'm 400 years old. Fffffffffffffff
yep, ive done just exactly that. Im running a 6mm vacuum hose (used to run 1/4 inch but it was terrible quality and always collapsed under pressure. the platinum cured line from verocious motorsport only comes in 6mm and its really durable) from the HKS BOV tapped directly into the manifold with a 5/16" barb so it fits very tight and doesn't neck down. Also, I wrapped the barb in nylon tape and JB welded around it as well as the OEM nipple to ensure zero leaks. Its been working amazing and the BOV response is amazing.

and lol, I am def one of the younger N54 / 135i guys out here
Good video. I had ordered HPS from amazon two days ago; put half on during lunch today. They seem better than OE, but don't know how they compare to the brand you mentioned.

For anyone about to do do this, Getting to front turbo is easy IF you take two minutes to remove vacuum tanks and brackets.

Stay tuned!
How are the HPS vac lines? I like the idea of the platinum cured lines, but the kits they sell on the website give you multiple size lines. I just want 3.5mm lines. Actually the HPS lines were rated at 500 degrees vs the platinum lines at 450. Not much of a difference, but...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #46
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
1: Vacuum lines are very important. We recommend using a larger vacuum line to your BOV and tapping your manifold for a larger fitting, but just replacing them everywhere is a big deal.
yep, ive done just exactly that. Im running a 6mm vacuum hose (used to run 1/4 inch but it was terrible quality and always collapsed under pressure. the platinum cured line from verocious motorsport only comes in 6mm and its really durable) from the HKS BOV tapped directly into the manifold with a 5/16" barb so it fits very tight and doesn't neck down. Also, I wrapped the barb in nylon tape and JB welded around it as well as the OEM nipple to ensure zero leaks. Its been working amazing and the BOV response is amazing.

Good video. I had ordered HPS from amazon two days ago; put half on during lunch today. They seem better than OE, but don't know how they compare to the brand you mentioned.

For anyone about to do do this, Getting to front turbo is easy IF you take two minutes to remove vacuum tanks and brackets.

Stay tuned!
How are the HPS vac lines? I like the idea of the platinum cured lines, but the kits they sell on the website give you multiple size lines. I just want 3.5mm lines. Actually the HPS lines were rated at 500 degrees vs the platinum lines at 450. Not much of a difference, but...
you can buy the 3.5mm by itself. No need to purchase the kit. they sell it by the foot. Click silicone vaccum hose & fittings not kits.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #47
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay tuned!
HPS were easy to cut and install. They look like quality hoses, but I've on had them on for 500 or so miles. For the price and time invested, I'll plan to do this every couple years is the car stays that long.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #48
Antoans4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5Diesel & 2011 335is

Has anyone change also the tiny ones that goes on top of the Head, any advantage?

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #49
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

How's everyone going with this?
How many of you did it and Noticed a difference? How many not?

I'm sure it makes a big difference if you've got a leak, but I'm wondering how common the issue is?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #50
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

I'm sure it makes a big difference if you've got a leak, but I'm wondering how common the issue is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoans4 View Post
Has anyone change also the tiny ones that goes on top of the Head, any advantage?

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2i1zd75.jpg[/IMG]
i did, no advantage seen. Just wanted to change them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

I didn't notice a difference although I also wasn't throwing any codes nor was I suspecting that they were leaking. I just did it as preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      06-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #51
Antoans4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
i did, no advantage seen. Just wanted to change them out.

I didn't notice a difference although I also wasn't throwing any codes nor was I suspecting that they were leaking. I just did it as preventative maintenance.
I just changed them & i hope that it doesn't make a difference wich one goes on the bottom of wich vacuum canister cause i did them both at the same time and forgot to check before lol 😂, so far the car pulls hard with no check engine or any code, lets see
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #52
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Did you guys go with the 3.5mm or 4mm?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:59 AM   #53
Antoans4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:10 AM   #54
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

I just bought the 3.5mm blue ones from verocious motorsports ( 20 ft ). Gonna swap everything out when my VRSF DCI and CP w/ tial BOV arrives soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #55
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i 6MT

I replaced mine last weekend. Took a little over an hour - the wastegate nipples are tough...

I hadn't really paid much attention to my lines up until this point. So, after I got my Verocious lines in and went out to the garage to get started I noticed that the previous owner had replaced the OEM lines with silicone.

He used Armormark (from autozone) 3.9mm and you can see the difference. I'm satisfied with the thicker sidewalls.

Now, I didn't have a leak so I'm not noticing a difference. But, it was a fun little project with a slight challenge to keep me busy in the garage for a bit. Just another excuse to get to know the car better. I replaced everything except for the hardlines.

...............I despise the way images work on this forum

Last edited by WatchWolf34; 06-30-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #56
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

great stuff guys! Im noticing that it seems most of the people who didnt have a leak and replaced them anyways arent noticing a difference. But I also wonder if that has anything to do with the hardlines.

Just looking at the hardlines they seemed very restrictive and it was a no-brainer for me to replace them. Maybe replacing the hardlines has a slight advantage and what is making the car's vaccum feel a bit stronger for me but anyways it is a good preventative maintenance thing to do
      06-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #57
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
great stuff guys! Im noticing that it seems most of the people who didnt have a leak and replaced them anyways arent noticing a difference. But I also wonder if that has anything to do with the hardlines.

Just looking at the hardlines they seemed very restrictive and it was a no-brainer for me to replace them. Maybe replacing the hardlines has a slight advantage and what is making the car's vaccum feel a bit stronger for me but anyways it is a good preventative maintenance thing to do
Did you have a boost leak already ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #58
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Did you have a boost leak already ?
not a boost leak, a very very slight maccum leak. one of my lines had a slight crack / slit / rip in it. My boost would come on just slightly laggy, but would be pretty much on target (give or take .5 - 1 lbs of boost) and would hit correct peak amount. Now it hits exactly the target to the nearst .1 - .2 lbs of boost and the turbos spool amazing.

Keep in mind my car is FBO + BMR 3.5' full exhaust but this is on 93 octane ONLY. my car is a torque beast. Here is a pic of what my car dynod last week. 380/421 to the wheels and 400+ wtq by 2.8K RPM. and its 93 octane only, no methanol or ethanol. I attribute this low end power to the car having strong vacuum enabling the turbos to spool to the best of their ability
Attached Images

07-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #59
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Any good alternative sources for replacement line besides Verocious? The 3.5mm black one is out of stock and I don't really want to get colored ones.
      07-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #60
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Can we not use the 4mm from verocious ?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 01:36 AM   #61
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

I used this stuff from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seemed to work great. About 20K on them now.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #62
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

I ended up ordering some from boostcontroller.com. They are 3.5mm and have the same wall thickness as the veracious ones, so I think they should be just as good.
      11-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #63
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

How are things holding up now?

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #64
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Just completed my vacuum lines an hour ago. The car runs amazing!

Highlights:

- Bought Veracious motorsports 3.5mm red silicone line. I got 20 feet, it was too much (could have done 15 or even less). I quickly found that cutting each piece to almost the same length as the stock line worked well. Too much slack leaves it looking bad and is not really needed.

- I dived into the front turbo line first, which is by far the hardest to replace. I figured the rest of the boost lines would be easy to replace after doing the front turbo, and they were. After I took out the original line, it took me forever to figure out where the front turbo nipple was because I could not see it from the top of the engine. It's all feel. I actually kept thinking something else was the nipple and it wasted a lot of time and beat up my hands pretty bad lol. Once I found it, it was so easy to put on and took me like 2 minutes...

- The rear turbo was easy. I have small hands and used this install as an excuse not to go to the gym yesterday....need skinny forearms too lol....

- I needed to make a cut into most of the original lines to get them off. I have 94k miles and they really on those nipples. They also looked like crap. I used a utility knife with a sharp blade and sliced about an inch from the top of each hose. The braided lines cut really easy. I found that using a V shape to cut each line (as another member suggested somewhere) really helped. I literally had to peel most of the lines off the nipples.

- I accidentally broke the top nipple from one of the vacuum canisters! I just wasn't paying attention and yanked it and it sheered right off.
After a while of bitching I decided to drill a larger hole into the top of the canister where the nipple broke off and jammed the broken nipple in there. It actually fit snug and I Epoxy'd the hell out of it. After lunch it looked pretty solid so I went back down and completed the rest of the lines.

- I also did a spark plug change before doing my boost lines. I recently had new Index 12 injectors installed and all new coils and and oil change and coolant flush, so pretty up to date with maintenance.

- I quickly installed an MHD map after everything was done. It runs amazing! I didn't get a chance to get any logs yet but will do that tomorrow. I pretty much utilized every boost line DIY thread here on this site, so decided to add my experience as well.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #65
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post

Highlights:

- Bought Veracious motorsports 3.5mm red silicone line. I got 20 feet, it was too much (could have done 15 or even less). I quickly found that cutting each piece to almost the same length as the stock line worked well. Too much slack leaves it looking bad and is not really needed.

- I dived into the front turbo line first, which is by far the hardest to replace. I figured the rest of the boost lines would be easy to replace after doing the front turbo, and they were. After I took out the original line, it took me forever to figure out where the front turbo nipple was because I could not see it from the top of the engine. It's all feel. I actually kept thinking something else was the nipple and it wasted a lot of time and beat up my hands pretty bad lol. Once I found it, it was so easy to put on and took me like 2 minutes...

- The rear turbo was easy. I have small hands and used this install as an excuse not to go to the gym yesterday....need skinny forearms too lol....

- I needed to make a cut into most of the original lines to get them off. I have 94k miles and they really on those nipples. They also looked like crap. I used a utility knife with a sharp blade and sliced about an inch from the top of each hose. The braided lines cut really easy. I found that using a V shape to cut each line (as another member suggested somewhere) really helped. I literally had to peel most of the lines off the nipples.

- I accidentally broke the top nipple from one of the vacuum canisters! I just wasn't paying attention and yanked it and it sheered right off.
After a while of bitching I decided to drill a larger hole into the top of the canister where the nipple broke off and jammed the broken nipple in there. It actually fit snug and I Epoxy'd the hell out of it. After lunch it looked pretty solid so I went back down and completed the rest of the lines.

- I also did a spark plug change before doing my boost lines. I recently had new Index 12 injectors installed and all new coils and and oil change and coolant flush, so pretty up to date with maintenance.

- I quickly installed an MHD map after everything was done. It runs amazing! I didn't get a chance to get any logs yet but will do that tomorrow. I pretty much utilized every boost line DIY thread here on this site, so decided to add my experience as well.
I would of drilled out all 4 Nipples and put brass nipples in their place. There is s DIY on this forum and others regarding this procedure.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #66
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post

Highlights:

I would of drilled out all 4 Nipples and put brass nipples in their place. There is s DIY on this forum and others regarding this procedure.
That's a great idea. I love the idea of brass...just wish bmw did too

I just needed a temporary fix which actually held up really well. I ordered a new boost canister (and two boost solenoids) on the same day and replaced them. Going strong
Appreciate 0