E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > How to start tracking.. Need Help :)

12-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

How to start tracking.. Need Help :)

Hey guys!! Wanted to poke my head in this part of the forum since I'm looking at starting to race.

I'm a full-fledged beginner starting from level zero. I'm joining the SCCA next week.

-What steps do I need to take before I can obtain a license to do track days or can anyone do them? I see on SCCA's website you have to take a course at a racing school. Can you do it at BMW's Driving School or do you have to go elsewhere? If so, any recommendations?

-What gear do I need? Any good brands? Helment/Suit/Shoes etc.

-Right now, my E90 is bone stock. I'm unsure whether or not I want to track it. May do it a few times but I don't want to push my DD hard. I understand I'll have to address brake fluid, brakes, and suspension primarily and deal with power mods later.

I also understand that experience is key here. Being in Jackson, MS makes it hard to have easy access to any tracks. Nearest ones are Birmingham, NOLA, and Road Atlanta.

If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.

Thank you.

-Lee
      12-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

you need a license to actually race, to do track days all you need is a regular drivers license

as far as your car, get fresh DOT 4 brake fluid in there and make sure you have at least half of your brake pads and tire tread left. that'll be fine for your first day.

there's also a thread just below yours that covers a bit more once you've done more than a couple days.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205378

edit:
you'll need a helmet if your club doesn't rent them. SA2010 min, I'd recommend getting SA2015 since price difference isn't that much and it'll be good for 5 more years
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
you need a license to actually race, to do track days all you need is a regular drivers license

edit:
you'll need a helmet if your club doesn't rent them. SA2010 min, I'd recommend getting SA2015 since price difference isn't that much and it'll be good for 5 more years
Awesome thank you!!

What do you mean "actual racing"? Not sure what that entails.

Also, how do people get notified of open track days? What do those usually cost?

Ok but I don't have to worry about a suit yet?

Where do I order a helmet from?

thank you
      12-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

actual racing is where you're competing against the other drivers out on the track. you need a race license for that along with an actual race car with cage and all.

from reading your most it sounds like you want to do lapping days, you're not racing the other cars out on track, your first day (sometimes more depending on you and the club you're running with) you have and instructor with you in the car

lapping days / open track days typically range from 300-600. SCCA has track nights which are 150 (although if you do some googling you may be able to find a $25 discount code). but you get what you pay for in seat time. this is a good way to try out tracking your car without spending a bunch of money to see if you like it. their instructors for novice's aren't as great as "full track day" kinda clubs, they basically just cover the safety aspects and try to keep on you track, maybe a few tips here and there. at least locally based on the feed back of some friends. While full day kinda clubs do all the safety stuff and instruct you on how to go faster around the track and develop as a driver.

as far as where to find events, go to the website of the track, they'll usually have a schedule and from there you can see the clubs that run at that track. you can also just google whatever area (or specific track) you're in and track day or lapping day. Hooked on Driving is a pretty good club, and they have events all over the country, so you can check out their website as well.

you do not need a race suit. if you're looking at an event and its saying you need a race suit, do not sign up for that. its most likely some sort of race event and you don't wanna be out there if you've never been on a track before.

for helmet, you can google SA2015 and you'll get a ton of choices. if you have a weird shaped head it'd prolly be a good idea to find a race shop that sells helmets so you can try them on. the local clubs that run events at the track may have a place they can recommend, otherwise you gotta turn to google again
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
actual racing is where you're competing against the other drivers out on the track. you need a race license for that along with an actual race car with cage and all.

from reading your most it sounds like you want to do lapping days, you're not racing the other cars out on track, your first day (sometimes more depending on you and the club you're running with) you have and instructor with you in the car

lapping days / open track days typically range from 300-600. SCCA has track nights which are 150 (although if you do some googling you may be able to find a $25 discount code). but you get what you pay for in seat time. this is a good way to try out tracking your car without spending a bunch of money to see if you like it.

you do not need a race suit. if you're looking at an event and its saying you need a race suit, do not sign up for that. its most likely some sort of race event and you don't wanna be out there if you've never been on a track before.

for helmet, you can google SA2015 and you'll get a ton of choices.

Ok cool thanks for the advice!! Definitely dont wanna get out there and realize I'm in a professional event on my first day lol.

I found a helmet. SA2015 by Bell. Will get around to ordering it soon since I'll definitely need one. Found a midrange helmet for ~$500. firgure if it's gonna have to last me 5 years i want a decent one.

I figure I'll start with track days where I can just get some seat time then see if I want to go the route of getting a car to race and getting in the class to get my license etc. That sounds very expensive but could be fun.

Thank you for your input.
      12-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
E90ALLMANUAL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/328i/no sunroof

I recommend doing autocross. Also, can you tell us more about your car. What tires do you have? Manual or automatic? Base or sport package?

I did a track day with my car 100% stock(sport package, manual transmission) and it did just fine.

Do a track day stock and the upgrade as you feel necessary. But you will need fresh DOT 4 brake fluid for your first one and at least 50% brake pads.

If your brakes don't fade on your first track day keep using them. Same with tires. If you are not pushing hard sort summer tires should be ok for a while.

If you start right away with really good tires it can mask bad driving skills.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
Ok cool thanks for the advice!! Definitely dont wanna get out there and realize I'm in a professional event on my first day lol.

I found a helmet. SA2015 by Bell. Will get around to ordering it soon since I'll definitely need one. Found a midrange helmet for ~$500. firgure if it's gonna have to last me 5 years i want a decent one.

I figure I'll start with track days where I can just get some seat time then see if I want to go the route of getting a car to race and getting in the class to get my license etc. That sounds very expensive but could be fun.
If you're going to spend that much on a helmet take a look at Arai.

If you're aiming to get a race license you're going to have to acquire a lot of seat time to gain the track awareness and laptimes needed to move beyond advanced (or HPDE-4) to wheel-to-wheel racing. A class to get a racing license isn't as simple as it sounds either, check out the details on the SCCA and NASA sites.

Get or rent a helmet, get the car through the tech inspection, and listen to your instructor. That's all you need to get on the track. Have fun, crack is less addictive...
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Look for local HPDE (high performance driving events) or Driver Schools with your local clubs like NASA, BMW CCA, etc. You can start with motorsportreg.com. Events are organized by group level. You start out with an instructor and learn the basics coupled with classroom instruction. As you move up the ladder you eventually drive solo in progressively faster groups. After you get comfortable with HPDE advanced run groups you can start thinking about competitive driving if that's your thing, i.e. w2w or time attacks.

To get started, all you need is a SA2010 helmet (or newer), a car in good working order with up to date maintenance. Don't bother with any mods, seat time by far will shave time more than anything else. At very least make sure you have tires and brakes with plenty of meat and fresh brake fluid.
      12-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

OP, if you have no experience with dynamic/performance driving at all. I would highly recommend on doing a few autocross events first or even invest in an Xbox and a good driving sim (you can learn surprising amount from Forza 4, 5, 6 these days if you turn off all the assists).

An actual track day will be too overwhelming for a totally new driver to learn anything useful for the first few sessions.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #10
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
OP, if you have no experience with dynamic/performance driving at all. I would highly recommend on doing a few autocross events first or even invest in an Xbox and a good driving sim (you can learn surprising amount from Forza 4, 5, 6 these days if you turn off all the assists).

An actual track day will be too overwhelming for a totally new driver to learn anything useful for the first few sessions.
I agree doing an autox is a good idea, but if he'll be overwhelmed or not at a track day without autox/track experience more depends on him as a driver. I've got a few friends that did fine at a track day without prior autox or any kinda on track driving.

main reason why I recommend an autox is cause its much easier to push your car to the limit. and if you go past the limit your risk of any kind of real damage/injury is far less. this way you can see how your car feels and behaves at the limit at a much lower speed.

in my opinion a driving sim won't be much good untill after a few track days. then you kinda know what you're looking for and what you're doing and what you're practicing... otherwise you're just kinda playing a game. unless you got one of them crazy sims with g forces and everything that costs like 50k... but then again, 50k of track days would do a lot more good...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I've only done drag racing before, so it's not like I have zero experience driving at speed. But this is just a different style of driving.
      12-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ALLMANUAL View Post
I recommend doing autocross. Also, can you tell us more about your car. What tires do you have? Manual or automatic? Base or sport package?

Do a track day stock and the upgrade as you feel necessary. But you will need fresh DOT 4 brake fluid for your first one and at least 50% brake pads.

If you start right away with really good tires it can mask bad driving skills.
My car is a 2010 E90 335i M Sport 6AT w/ 64k miles. I'm in the market for a 335is/M3 6MT though.

My brake service light is on so I need to complete a brake service before any track events. Any recommended fluid?

The tires are Bridgestone summer performance RFT POS's. Absolutely do not like them. Next tires will be PSS or Nitto NT555's for sure.
      12-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
If you're going to spend that much on a helmet take a look at Arai.

If you're aiming to get a race license you're going to have to acquire a lot of seat time to gain the track awareness and laptimes needed to move beyond advanced (or HPDE-4) to wheel-to-wheel racing. A class to get a racing license isn't as simple as it sounds either, check out the details on the SCCA and NASA sites.

Get or rent a helmet, get the car through the tech inspection, and listen to your instructor. That's all you need to get on the track. Have fun, crack is less addictive...
Found a few good looking helmets on their website. Is there any real difference between Bell and Arai? Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a helmet? I am avoiding the $3000+ carbon fiber ones, though they are pretty cool.

I've spent some time researching classes. Nearest one is the Porsche school in Birmingham, AL, with the next one being Skip Barber Racing School at Road Atlanta or NOLA. They're all terribly expensive.

what does a car need to pass tech inspection for a basic track day? anything special?
      12-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

for brake fluid, I recommend Torque RT700 or Castrol SRF. Lots of people say that Endless RF-650 is on par with those 2 as well, don't have any personal experience.

Arai helmets tend to be a bit lighter and smaller (exterior dimensions) then others. They're also kinda the creme de la creme brand of helmets. people will say don't skimp on safety and spend big $$$ on a helmet. but honestly for lapping days as long as its SA rated you're prolly fine. I mean if you're racing open wheel cars then sure... but chances are if you get in an accident bad enough that a lower cost SA helmet won't save you then chances are that 3k carbon one isn't gonna do much for you either.

unless you have money to burn, I'd say get a ~$200 helmet and put the rest towards track days
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am talking about any experience with dynamic driving and chassis handling, drag race doesn't give you any experience in things such as weight transition and spin recovery.

If I were you, I would read up some good books on performance driving to understand the basic physics in play and spend some time in driving sims. For someone of your level, it is much more cost effective than spending big bucks attending race schools.

By the way, I wouldn't waste money on tires yet. Even PSS is pretty crap for track use for this car once you pick up the pace, and the chances are you will be picking up another set of wheels as well if you are serious about this hobby. Just drive with what you have for now, and spend $2-300 on entry level full face helmet.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #16
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

warmmilk Will probably run the Castrol then since I've used their products in the past and been impressed.

I understand. But I haven't seen any helmets in the $200 range. Would rather just go ahead and get a nicer helmet up front instead of forking out for two a year from now.

https://www.araiamericas.com/helmets/rxq/black-frost

Here's a good offering from Arai that I like. What do yall think?

The other option is this one from Bell:
http://www.apexperformance.net/Vador...ack_p_565.html

Thank yall
      12-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #17
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am talking about any experience with dynamic driving and chassis handling, drag race doesn't give you any experience in things such as weight transition and spin recovery.

If I were you, I would read up some good books on performance driving to understand the basic physics in play and spend some time in driving sims. For someone of your level, it is much more cost effective than spending big bucks attending race schools.
Understandable. I've played Forza before but I'm just no good with video games, nor do I have an up-to-date gaming console, so I'd rather shell out $600 for some track time rather than a new Xbox.

I've got a good grasp of basic physics, being a mechanical engineer. But I'll look into it some more. Still trying to familiarize myself with the terms of this type of racing too.
      12-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #18
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport
warmmilk Will probably run the Castrol then since I've used their products in the past and been impressed.

I understand. But I haven't seen any helmets in the $200 range. Would rather just go ahead and get a nicer helmet up front instead of forking out for two a year from now.

Thank yall
Go to a local store and try them on... You can buy the best helmet out there, but if it doesn't fit properly for your head, it would be completely useless.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:

Thank yall
Arai offers different sized inserts to allow the helmet to be fitted more exactly to your head. And a motorcycle helmet is basically rated for one impact whereas auto helmets are rated for multiple impacts as one would expect in a rollover or the like. For the money you're looking at you should consider the GP-J3 or GP-5W. Not the coolest looking helmets around but some of the best.

The reason you don't need carbon is you won't pull 3+gs in a turn. With that much lateral acceleration the added weight of the helmet will strain your neck badly, 6+gs in F1 racing demands a CF helmet. Limited to 1g or so, at most, it's a total waste of money.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Understandable. I've played Forza before but I'm just no good with video games, nor do I have an up-to-date gaming console, so I'd rather shell out $600 for some track time rather than a new Xbox.

I've got a good grasp of basic physics, being a mechanical engineer. But I'll look into it some more. Still trying to familiarize myself with the terms of this type of racing too.
Get a copy of Going Faster for an intro to the basics and a copy of Speed Secrets for insight into racing. Fast Car Physics is very helpful in providing a refresher on freshman physics as it applies to fast cars, helps cut through the bullshit and with planning modifications. And if you're a masochist there's always Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, definitely worth a read and there's a workbook of problems and answers that goes with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Thank yall
http://www.apexperformance.net/ZAMP_c_18.html
you can even get that carbon one for 550

http://www.apexperformance.net/G-Force_c_20.html

just sayin

and there's really no reason to have to buy a new helmet in 2-3 years. Helmets are good for 10 years after their SA year rating. if you really want to get a new helmet in less then 5 years then save some money and find a clearance sale of SA2010 helmets. I've seen some pretty aggressive sales for SA2010

also, not really saying you shouldn't buy a $500+ helmet, if you want to, go for it. I just think your money would be put to better use on track days...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #22
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Arai offers different sized inserts to allow the helmet to be fitted more exactly to your head. And a motorcycle helmet is basically rated for one impact whereas auto helmets are rated for multiple impacts as one would expect in a rollover or the like. For the money you're looking at you should consider the GP-J3 or GP-5W. Not the coolest looking helmets around but some of the best.

The reason you don't need carbon is you won't pull 3+gs in a turn. With that much lateral acceleration the added weight of the helmet will strain your neck badly, 6+gs in F1 racing demands a CF helmet. Limited to 1g or so, at most, it's a total waste of money.
SA is also tested for roll bar/cage impact
Appreciate 0