E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Power Steering Problems

12-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Power Steering Problems

Hey Everyone,

So about a month ago I changed my power steering fluid with Liqui Moly TopTec 1800 ATF Fluid for the first time @220,000KM. I figured I would just use the leftovers on the transmission in the spring when I change that fluid out too. When I changed my fluid I did get a little air into the system as I was draining from the return line, but the amount was small and lasted less than a second that I could hear anything coming from the pump and am really hoping that I didn't damage anything. That being said, once I was done, the car ran fine and so did the power steering. It has only been the last 2 days that this problem has happened.

So to get a few things out of the way...
There is no whine or grinding of any kind that I can hear. Everything sounds normal.
I checked my fluid level and it is fine.
I noticed a tiny bit of wetness coming from the breather hole of the power steering cap.

When my car is at a stand still, my power steering randomly stops assisting. It turns about a half revolution and then it feels like something is fighting back. If I give it just a little throttle it starts working fine again. I never have a problem while driving the car.

One thing I also noticed when checking the fluid I just changed, is that it has become dark brown again, but not as dark as when I changed it. The original colour is clear yellowish.

So what I am thinking is that because I have never changed my fluid before last month, that all that crap that built up in there let go and maybe clogged the filter of the reservoir and is possibly starving the pump to some degree. I don't think it starves it completely because I do not hear anything wrong with it.

So what does everyone else think? I think at this point I will try to replace the reservoir and flush it again to see what happens. Hopefully its just a gunked up filter.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Have you checked your HB????
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

i was going to say the same thing about the harmonic balancer...

OP try this... when the car is having this failure turn off your AC or better yet your HVAC system completely, if it goes away then your HB is failing... Seeing you are in socal you might not use the ac much.... If that is the case try turning you ac ON and see if the problem gets worse. If your HB is giving out there is no saving it or milking it a few days... also have you noticed a slight burning rubber smell lately? that is another sign of a failed HB pulley.

you can also simply take your fluid reservoir and wash it out with a degreaser or acetone.

the flow into the bottle is reversed to how i would think it should flow.. the line on the most bottom is the return and the one on the side is the intake.. so the fluid is the reservoir is "clean", so flushing the bottle should be as simple as pouring a cleaner into it and letting it flow out the bottom..
      12-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your replies, I do remember smelling a burning rubber smell but thought it might have been the tiny bit of ATF fluid I noticed. It is not that strong of a smell. Ill try to stick my hand in and take a pic here at work to see of its all cracked.

Also FYI... I'm in Toronto. But ill try the AC thing at home and not at work.

Thanks again for the replies. Ill report back after lunch.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep

So I took a small video with a redneck selfie stick and the rubber is completely breaking away from the main hub. Lots of rubber shavings and bits on the outer wall of the balancer too. So its only a matter of time before it completely fails. So here's hoping I get home now LOL.

That being said, what brand can I go with? does it even matter? I have noticed HUGE price variances to the borderline F***ING ridiculous!

I have seen the following USA options:
  • rmeuropean - $196.00 - Rein
  • rmeuropean - $208.24 - Vaico
  • fcpeuro - $310.49 - Febi Bilstein
  • rmeuropean - $327.28 - Corteco (Original Manufacturer)

Here in Toronto prices are much more expensive.
$295 - Rein => CRP/Continental Supposedly (Parts guy might not be able to order it for me though)
$550 - Daico or Dayco not too sure what he said on the phone
$650 - NTN

So does the quality of these dampers vary a lot? I know FixMyVw has a 335D specific damper kit for $449 but don't really want to spend that kind of money on something I probably will never change again.

Which would you get?

Thanks,

Last edited by Xerix; 12-05-2018 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Forgot a comment on part
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

I think most people go with Corteco/Febi but I remember hearing of some horror stories with one of the brands, might have been Vaico?

Fluidampr which Tune my euro had on sale recently at $450. There is a lot of discussion about this but the Fluidampr has no rubber in it so it should last the lifetime of the vehicle, the kit comes with the clutched alternator pulley.

Whitebread also sourced what he says is a high quality replacement from Europe: https://bit.ly/2Qv8uBJ although I haven't heard of anyone using one yet. He does add the option of a clutched alternator pulley like the Fluidampr as well which I would recommend.

Read through this DIY thread regarding other things you can replace while you're in there, I did the tensioner as well as the belts and the HB bolts when I installed the Fluidampr. This could be a good time to do your T-stat as well, since everything will be out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

The DAYCO PB1689N is $US 386 at RockAuto.
You will need the tool to install the belt.
You need to get 4 new bolts and a new belt.
Another option: w h i t b r e a d p e r f o r m a n c e.com/collections/bmw/products/fai-automotive-viscous-m57-harmonic-balancer?variant=15428796350554
Note: For link, remove whitespace
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerix View Post
Also FYI... I'm in Toronto. But ill try the AC thing at home and not at work.
lol sorry i looked at the wrong user

if you are work tools to your advantage you do not need the belt tool. I used a stubby fat / flat head screwdriver. i put it in the outside groove (closest to the rad) and pushed with the tip going against the flat spot of the groove and rotated the crank... took me about three tried, but i got it on with zero issues... if you "damage" the pulley installing this way then the pulley was already broken
      12-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I vote for the Corteco. I bought (2) Fluid dampers from AAR while on sale. It is a matter of time for them to go out so I'm doing the replace before trouble comes tactic. My spouse is nearing the known to start failing mileage of 75,000 miles on X5. Don't want to see her get stranded. I live in deep south so A/C used often. OmahaDiesel had a thread where we logged a bunch of miles to failure but failed to capture climate in the statistics. they seems to break in conjunction of hot weather and A/C use but not always.

OP, you did well to get to 220,000 km/136,000 miles. Guess it is your cool climate in Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Don't buy the Vaico. See my experience here, post #19. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419165
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep

So my Harmonic Balancer completely broke from the hub and started sliding. As I came to a stop at the lights and RPM's dropped my battery light came on most likely because the belts weren't turning the alternator.

I waited after the gym until traffic cleared up so I could keep a good constant speed to keep my RPM's above 1,700 to keep everything spinning.

In any case it now sits in the garage and I will buy one tomorrow at the latest. I am also thinking of changing my tune here a bit and just pay the extra money for the Fluidampr Kit from AARodriguez for $450 (Its still priced as such). I already messaged whitbreadperformance and MAtt responded saying the ones he has coming in are already spoken for. He also said he will be having a christmas sale starting the 15th that will include the FAI Balancers, but didnt say how much.

So I can't wait for him unfortunately as I need my car fixed by next Wednesday because I'm driving down to Florida for Christmas on the Friday and I want to give my self 1 day to test LOL.

So thanks for all the info and suggestions. I'll let you know what I get once I get a response from FAI to see if they have any Canadian distributors.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #12
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I vote for the Corteco. I bought (2) Fluid dampers from AAR while on sale. It is a matter of time for them to go out so I'm doing the replace before trouble comes tactic. My spouse is nearing the known to start failing mileage of 75,000 miles on X5. Don't want to see her get stranded. I live in deep south so A/C used often. OmahaDiesel had a thread where we logged a bunch of miles to failure but failed to capture climate in the statistics. they seems to break in conjunction of hot weather and A/C use but not always.

OP, you did well to get to 220,000 km/136,000 miles. Guess it is your cool climate in Toronto.
I'm at 95k. Still pushing the stock. Ha
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #13
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Xerix just get a stock pulley and call it good.

changing the HB is super simple!!! don't think of it as changing the harmonic balancer.. think of it as changing the belts because that is all you are doing and swapping a pulley.. the toughest part about the job is removing the cooling fan.

if you need one asap you might have to go to BMW $$$
      12-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep

So I just ordered the FEBI Harmonic Balancer from FCPEuro. I figured if I am gonna have problems with it that FCP will hopefully honour their Lifetime Warranty. Plus I know that it will get to my sister in Florida before she comes back next week based on my recent experience with them which I have to say has been great. I just wish this broke on me during their 20% off black friday deals they just had.

I also picked up 4 new Torx bolts with it.

Why did I pick the stock balancer you ask? Couple reasons.
Cost is one of them. After factoring in having to buy some more tools to replace the pulley on the alternator with the Fluidampr, taxes, shipping, etc... and my limited time before I had to leave for Florida, I needed the job to be as simple as possible. Plus I realized FCPEuro has a good warranty on their parts they sell.

So I figure it best to go stock. Hopefully it lasts.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

We will see an update to this thread in about 80 to 100k of a febi failing. Glad you have it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I put on a Febi at 70K and am now at 117K with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
We will see an update to this thread in about 80 to 100k of a febi failing. Glad you have it figured out.
i did a febi around 90k and i would be 100% ok if it failed around 180-200k lol, i also got mine through FCP... last time i have to buy a harmonic balancer, bolts, and belts for my car! it wont cost $400 to ship it all back lol