E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 headlight advice please

12-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

E90 headlight advice please

After a few years without a BMW I am back in the saddle. I have just bought myself a 3 series. It's not without its faults but I am working my way through them.
It has the wrong headlights and front bumper so I am trying to sort out the headlights. My car is 2010 so lci but the headlights are pre lci. Originally I think the car had xenon's as the washer units are hid away behind the bumper. So my problems are, someone has opened tgdm up and modified them. It has two halo's that are also the indicators which look pretty cool to be fair, but also aftermarket xenon bulbs and ballasts that are incredibly dim and also throw up a dipped beam error. So do I start again with the correct headlights etc (Not cheap I'm guessing) or is trying to fit original bulbs and ballasts into these headlights an option? I will be looking at fitting the correct front bumper and reinstating the headlight washers. Any input would be greatly received. Cheers, Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Do you have a better photo? Those headlights done like right on the LCI. They could be pre LCI genuine modified or depo modified.

I'd buy a used set of genuine headlights and install them. Just double check what your vehicle is coded for. HID or Halogen.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Do you have a better photo? Those headlights done like right on the LCI. They could be pre LCI genuine modified or depo modified.

I'd buy a used set of genuine headlights and install them. Just double check what your vehicle is coded for. HID or Halogen.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I will take a better photo tomorrow if the weather is better. They are definitely pre lci headlights. Do you think I should buy whole new xenon units with ballast's etc? I am ashamed to say that I don't even own a lap top let alone the software to check my coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 01:25 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

there is a guy on face book who does lights,,them on your car are the flat bottom halo,,id try and ask him im surebhe could sort the lights out for you,,cannot remeber his name ..maybe alex chud,,but i could check for you,,he does allsorts,,like demon eyes etc etc,,very well respected and his work looks A1
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #5
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
there is a guy on face book who does lights,,them on your car are the flat bottom halo,,id try and ask him im surebhe could sort the lights out for you,,cannot remeber his name ..maybe alex chud,,but i could check for you,,he does allsorts,,like demon eyes etc etc,,very well respected and his work looks A1
Hi, thanks for that. Yes they are flat at the bottom. I have taken some more photos but they are too big to attach and I am useless with technology!! My brother is on Facebook, I will get him to have a look for me thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

That's the best I can do!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
I think lci cars also have a different bonnet, if so it'll be a fair bit of work & money to return to stock.
It also looks like you have some misting inside the light.
If indeed the head lights are pre lci i suspect the least expensive option is some salvaged headlights.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsie75 View Post
Hi, thanks for that. Yes they are flat at the bottom. I have taken some more photos but they are too big to attach and I am useless with technology!! My brother is on Facebook, I will get him to have a look for me thanks again.
his name on facebook is simon kycs the demon eyes look mint..although im 51 years old and maybe a bit OTT another name to get mentioned for this kind of thing is NEM on facebook
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
I think lci cars also have a different bonnet, if so it'll be a fair bit of work & money to return to stock.
It also looks like you have some misting inside the light.
If indeed the head lights are pre lci i suspect the least expensive option is some salvaged headlights.
Hi mate, I have the lci bonnet and bumper etc, my car is m sport but I think the bumper is from a se model as it didn't have pdc holes (previous owner has drilled them) or headlight washer holes. As far as I can tell lci and pre lci lights are the the same size and dimensions etc just the internals are different. Cheers
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
his name on facebook is simon kycs the demon eyes look mint..although im 51 years old and maybe a bit OTT another name to get mentioned for this kind of thing is NEM on facebook
thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:10 AM   #11
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d se

Here is xenon lighting off my e90, these are the lci front lights, for a decent set your looking at £650 to £750 used, there are company’s selling brand new for £850 plus shipping from Germany

Next thing you need to look at it the frm module (this controls the xenon lights) is it the frm2 that would be used for pre lci xenon or for the lci frm3 or frm 3 max brose ( it can be found under drivers footwell behind the plastic)

Then you may need your wiring altered (from headlights to frm module)

The guy who retrofitted mine just over a week ago is a guy named Simon who is on Facebook, he also did my cic sat nav and folding mirrors retrofits

If you need any more info let me know and I can forward his number on private message
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
Kjb1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325d e92, e61 525d, e28 525e

Id just leave them as is for the cost of it all!! Plus the angels look good!! Bumper looks to be M sport style aswell looking at it? My only worry would be why? Has it been in a front end accident?? Probably. I would just keave as is, its doing its job.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Kjb1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325d e92, e61 525d, e28 525e

I fitted CIC retrofit myself, years ago to my 525d e61 M sport!! Good mod, also fitted a kufatec bluetooth module, which allows streaming
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjb1 View Post
Id just leave them as is for the cost of it all!! Plus the angels look good!! Bumper looks to be M sport style aswell looking at it? My only worry would be why? Has it been in a front end accident?? Probably. I would just keave as is, its doing its job.
Hi mate, yes it has had a front end on it. The problem with the lights are they are terrible on main beam! They hardly light the road up and definitely won't pass the MOT in April. So I've got until then to sort them out. They thing with the bumper is, it hasn't got holes for headlight washers but my car must of had them originally.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #15
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3tribut10n View Post
Here is xenon lighting off my e90, these are the lci front lights, for a decent set your looking at £650 to £750 used, there are company’s selling brand new for £850 plus shipping from Germany

Next thing you need to look at it the frm module (this controls the xenon lights) is it the frm2 that would be used for pre lci xenon or for the lci frm3 or frm 3 max brose ( it can be found under drivers footwell behind the plastic)

Then you may need your wiring altered (from headlights to frm module)

The guy who retrofitted mine just over a week ago is a guy named Simon who is on Facebook, he also did my cic sat nav and folding mirrors retrofits

If you need any more info let me know and I can forward his number on private message
I think I need to do a bit more digging into this. Thanks for your input mate.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #16
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

The brand new set from Germany don’t come with ballast’s so you need to take that into account, there are cheaper versions as their are various deals, (basic just light unit, then 1 set of lights and bulbs etc...
If you get desperate for mot you can always switch temp to halogen lights, a little work to get it running from xenon to halogen ( will require reprogramming for halogen lights to work)

There is a couple of company’s I use for parts 1 is a bmw breaker in Yorkshire and silver lake (these company’s give you minimum 3 months warranty on parts)

I would put links up for you but I think it’s frownd apron on here
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #17
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The brand new set from Germany don’t come with ballast’s so you need to take that into account, there are cheaper versions as their are various deals, (basic just light unit, then 1 set of lights and bulbs etc...
If you get desperate for mot you can always switch temp to halogen lights, a little work to get it running from xenon to halogen ( will require reprogramming for halogen lights to work)

There is a couple of company’s I use for parts 1 is a bmw breaker in Yorkshire and silver lake (these company’s give you minimum 3 months warranty on parts)

I would put links up for you but I think it’s frownd apron on here
Thanks again mate, I do appreciate all the feedback. I might have a go at fitting original ballast's and bulbs into these these lights first.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #18
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

No problem, if I was you I would look under the footwell (drivers side) and look for the frm which is located behind the plastic next to the accelerator pedal (think it’s a couple of philips screws) at least if u take a pic of it and post then I can tell you which model you have and you can go from their
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #19
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cool cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #20
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No problem, if I was you I would look under the footwell (drivers side) and look for the frm which is located behind the plastic next to the accelerator pedal (think it’s a couple of philips screws) at least if u take a pic of it and post then I can tell you which model you have and you can go from their
Is that the little fellow?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #21
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsie75 View Post
Quote:
No problem, if I was you I would look under the footwell (drivers side) and look for the frm which is located behind the plastic next to the accelerator pedal (think it's a couple of philips screws) at least if u take a pic of it and post then I can tell you which model you have and you can go from their
Is that the little fellow?
Strange. That FRM is the FRM3 basis which is factory fitted to vehicles with Halogen headlights.

I know I asked you this before but are you 100% sure those headlights are genuine xenon headlights?

Xenons should come with XE for Standard xenon AHL for AHL xenon or MAX Brose for everything...

The BASIS can be coded for xenon however...but it's not the OEM way.

Either way. They look rubbish. Sorry, but they do. The DTM angel eyes only look good with an LED eyebrow above them.

Buy some used headlights and a coding cable. You don't need to send them off. It's a simple job.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #22
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

This was what was controlling my halogen lights before the retrofit and on the right is what is now controlling my xenons
Attached Images

Last edited by R3tribut10n; 12-15-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0