E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > {OT} New PC nightmare

09-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Sorry Sir, wasn't aware of rank.

*eats dirt repeatedly whilst trying to do pushups*

Steph.uk, you can come back and argue when you've worked out how to upload pics :P

(only teasing...)

SJ
      09-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post

Steph.uk, you can come back and argue when you've worked out how to upload pics :P

(only teasing...)

SJ
I think Carlos outranks us all.. with his post count!!
      09-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #25
Scoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 C2s Crayon / Golf R 7.5

So i thought i would just check how bad Mesh actually are using google

My god , i kind of want my computer to go wrong again so i can try to get away from this company!

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2552941-1.php
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #26
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Tell me are mesh using propietory motherboards components etc ? Like Dell ?

If not don't panic, it's ALL retrievable, just might take longer to get all the right drivers and software configured.

SJ
      09-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #27
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post

(only teasing...)

SJ
That's ok James

But because I got a MAC, I have been able to publish all pic on my webpage, without reducing the resolution of any of them to make them compatible with the upload size allowed

Easy as a click of a mice

http://web.mac.com/stephane.thuillier

Steph
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
oooo... bet you can't , um, er, yeah well bully for you

lol

I like macs, just can't work em

SJ
      10-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #29
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

> I like macs, just can't work em

Well, now you can have your cake and eat it: The new Macs are blazingly fast machines that will run windows and windows applications in a variety of ways.

Although I do have to warn you that most people who buy Macs because they can run windows end up running in Mac OS X most of the time and only fire up windows for an accounting application or to play games.

But, like BMWs, Macs aren't for everyone. You have to decide for yourself what's important to you in a computer.

The number one reason I use a Mac is because it doesn't give me crap: It doesn't get in the way of what I want to do and I (almost never) have to fiddle with things to get them to work.

Macs are a lot like BMWs in that regard.

I also use windows and linux and they're always giving me crap: Missing drivers, poorly documented configuration settings, missing files during a compile, ...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #30
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
hmmm, might have to break one of my cardinal rules then soon.

What about graphics, can they take the latest cards etc....

i.e. if it can emulate windows can it actually run the games ok ?

SJ
      10-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #31
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
To be honest, the main reason I use a Mac at home is because of the operating system. The design of the machine is all very nice, as is the wireless keyboard and mouse and 802.11n wirelessnetworking... but the behaviour of the operating system (OSX) is second to none. It really is very robust and pretty safe in terms of spyware, trojans, viruses etc. I also use Vista Ultimate on a Sony laptop so I'm not going to slate Microsoft, Vista, XP etc. I think XP now (at service pack 2) is also very stable operating system, its just that you get the feeling that Apple just pay more attention of how the machine presents itself to the user.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy a Mac just because it has the ability to run Windows, I would buy it because it is a Mac!

Go on SerJames - break your cardinal rule and take the plunge!!!!
      10-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #32
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

> What about graphics, can they take the latest cards etc....

Depends on which model Mac you get. The cheaper ones come with integrated graphics, but an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 works fine in a Mac Pro and pushes the Doom timedemo1 to 87fps at 1280 by 1024.

(If you ask me, it's overkill for games, but YMMV)

You can also get a Mac pro with an ATI Radeon X1900 XT and an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

There's room for 4 (double-wide) PCI Express video cards. You cannot use video cards that are not compatible with EFI while booted in Mac OS X, but you can put in any PCIe graphics card and use it while booted in windows if you have windows drivers for it.

So basically, if you buy the latest bleeding edge card and it comes with windows drivers, you can put it in a Mac Pro and boot it into windows and play the latest bleeding edge games to full effect. Wether or not this bleeding edge not yet released card works with Mac OS X depends on a number of factors, but you can always continue using the old card that came with the computer for Mac OS X.

> i.e. if it can emulate windows can it actually run the games ok ?

You can run windows *Native*. Macs have intel processors. You can boot into Vista and play your games as if it was an equally specced windows PC. There would be no difference.

Additionally, you can run windows in a virtual environment simultaneously with Mac OS X. Game performance will be affected though, but it will work fine for any other windows software you can't part with and/or for which there is no Mac OS X version.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #33
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport

Got 2 MAC

1 Imac Intel and 1 Macbook intel

What I love with MAC is that they just work..........no fuss, no virus, no spam, no nothing, pretty safe machine and the basic software delivered with it is brilliant.

Last point, I use Microsoft Office on MAC as well, and it is far much fun to use than the PC version, and this is the 2004 edition! Can't wait the new 2008 Office for MAC

Steph
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 05:13 AM   #34
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.uk View Post
Got 2 MAC

1 Imac Intel and 1 Macbook intel

What I love with MAC is that they just work..........no fuss, no virus, no spam, no nothing, pretty safe machine and the basic software delivered with it is brilliant.

Last point, I use Microsoft Office on MAC as well, and it is far much fun to use than the PC version, and this is the 2004 edition! Can't wait the new 2008 Office for MAC

Steph
Mac Office No good if you like/use VBA though - I understand they've dropped it from future versions!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #35
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

> Mac Office No good if you like/use VBA though

You can run the windows version. Of course, running windows on a Mac does not mean you're immune to VBA-based malware.

What I like about VMware Fusion is that you can take 'snapshots' of your entire windows install. Then when something goes awry you can revert to that snapshot instantly by clicking a button.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #36
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Know feck all about Pc's(good engineer tho'),got a DELL use it for work and play.............glad you got it sorted Pete
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #37
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I go home, and turn on my imac intel core 2 duo.... Runs PERFECT. Running leopard os. Best Os i have EVER used. No worries on drivers, or all those other problems. It runs the way a Os is supposed to run. I'm REALLY glad i made a switch. Shortly after that, my brother, cousin, fiance and co-worker own a mac, parents will soon get one as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #38
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

I hate this Mac v PC thing, its so annoying and petty. Both platforms are very good at what they are aiming to do and the market segment they occupy.

Here is the bottom line, its really very simple:

Answer the following question: Does your use of a computer consist of Email, Web, Playing with your home photos and iTunes? If the answer is yes then for gods sake buy a Mac and do yourself a favour. For simple stuff its the best by a country mile.

Equally I could have asked if you play games, need compatability with work software or want to run a less than mainstream software package? Then go and buy a PC.

The latest Mac OS is very nice, stable and reliable - it does what it claimes to do out of the box but on the other hand it doesnt support a hell of a lot of applications or hardware. Your choice.

Windows XP SP2 properly maintained is an extremely reliable and secure OS - it's quite arguable that against attacks from the outside world its a whole heap more secure than MacOS - on the otherhand almost nobody bothers attacking MacOS, why bother when 99% of targets are windows based. From my experiences with Vista its been stable too. I use a laptop. I shut the lid to pop it into hibernate and never reboot. MacOS is even more stable (that said it can and does crash and get confused).

Macs are more expensive than PCs for similar levels of performance (especially graphics where Macs always lag behind). On the other hand Macs have way nicer physical design and look much better. You pay your money and take your choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #39
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and Peter .... sounds like your pre-built PC is a bit of a nightmare, tis pretty poor show from Mesh. The only pre-builts I've ever bought are Dells for work and say what you like about Dell, they work out of the box in my experience.

I'd advise you to send it back but it sounds like its needed for a gift.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #40
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Oh and Peter .... sounds like your pre-built PC is a bit of a nightmare, tis pretty poor show from Mesh. The only pre-builts I've ever bought are Dells for work and say what you like about Dell, they work out of the box in my experience.

I'd advise you to send it back but it sounds like its needed for a gift.
Dave, that was back in September (who resurrected this thread???). After the initial teething issues the Mesh has performed fine, apart from the lost password! Its a great machine and does everything that my son wanted it to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #41
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Doh!

Stupid me for not checking the thread dates, the poster above me resurrected it today.

Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #42
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

hahahaha i resurrected this thread.

And on another note, DaveC brings up good points. But id have to disagree on the Mac lagging in graphics part. I'm not to sure on which macs you are referring to, I currently own a imac with Intel core 2 duo, RadeonX1600 with 128MB VRam, and 2 gig ram. Not that ram has much to do with it, but i just finished playing a classic game i used to play on Windows (doom3) and let me tell you, My computer graphics are AWESOME! Not only that buy there is NO lag what so ever. NOT EVER.

I agree on you that there are 2 competitive Os out there to do what people want. In my opinion Mac is giving a great battle and in fact i believe it's in the lead. Maybe not by Total sales. You have to understand one thing as well, windows might be high in sales but that technically doesn't mean more people are buying Pc's. instead most buy PC's and then have problems, and withing 3-4 years return, or smash their computer and either buy or swap their current computer for another, not necessarily buying additional one.

Mac's have improved a great deal and their compatibility is becoming REALLY close to being compatible with everything. Games really was the only thing that keeps the PC fan boys yelling up a storm. In my opinion, if your a gamer, get a f@#$ Playstation, xbox, Nintendo, etc... Well lately companies like EA have been coming out with new releases of binary software (games) for mac with Intel capabilities. More and more to come. The graphics are SICK!. nothing but good looks like is coming for mac. I'm not that sure if i can say the same about windows. I think, although they did a pretty good job(windows) in copying Mac Os in Vista, i think they should of spend more time and making it a better Os and not just a weird copy of Mac's Os.

I mean many people don't recommend Vista, most don't want vista, some can't afford Vista, in the end windows XP in my opinion was a very solid Os. I give him that. And if were to ever Dual boot my mac (pc and mac same computer) i would most def. install Xp instead of Vista. BUT chances are there is no need to. Like i said more and more softwares are becoming compatible with mac. Leading only to a better future, and that's not even talking about how great Leopard (Mac Os) is.

With Microsoft there is just so much internet viruses, spam, adware, spyware, etc.. i mean you pretty much can get any software downloaded from the internet and windows will take it. That only leads to people passing around more and more viruses.

While using my mac i'm really happy i continue to buy my software and even music. Low prices but sound great and worry free of problems ahead.

To each their own. I am no saint, but you will find most mac users purchase their software, where are more users of windows, copied, burned or downloaded theres. massive customers of windows can run in a lot of viruses if only 1 person decided to share one and name it.... windows xp or vista, or ms office...

Anyway I'm taking this way to far.

In the end whoever is happy with their Os, great for you! period. It's what's best for you. And whoever wants to explore their options, mac is a great option that should be checked out.

BTW i don't work for apple.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 03:58 AM   #43
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmister View Post
In my opinion, if your a gamer, get a f@#$ Playstation, xbox, Nintendo, etc...
The thing is that PC games do have the potential for better graphics and controllability (e.g. first person shooters using the mouse to aim).

Quote:
With Microsoft there is just so much internet viruses, spam, adware, spyware, etc.. i mean you pretty much can get any software downloaded from the internet and windows will take it. That only leads to people passing around more and more viruses.
True, but nothing a good virus scanner and regular use of an adware remover can't fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #44
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
True, but nothing a good virus scanner and regular use of an adware remover can't fix.
My point exactly... = Maintenance.
Well to each there own
Appreciate 0