E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight Cover replace

04-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #23
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

OSS designs says he has headlight lens replacements for pre-lci e92 with adaptive healdight. I do not know his source though.
      01-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #24
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

I need lenses for pre LCI sedan with xenon. Please help
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #25
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

For $100 I had a detailer refinish the headlights and fog light lenses.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #26
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
I need lenses for pre LCI sedan with xenon. Please help
The only ones I've seen that say they are for Xenon and someone said they really are is bimmerjake. They are $250 bucks though. I ordered a set off ebay that said they were for xenon, but they did not fit. Good luck and make sure to post if you find some at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #27
yevg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post
The only ones I've seen that say they are for Xenon and someone said they really are is bimmerjake. They are $250 bucks though. I ordered a set off ebay that said they were for xenon, but they did not fit. Good luck and make sure to post if you find some at a reasonable price.
Did you purchase the ones from China that say they are for Xenon?

I am currently looking for xenon e90 lenses and the only ones i see are from China on ebay for around $140 for the pair... they dont seem OEM, because they claim "allow 1-3cm difference due to manual measurements", my current ones are in such bad shape from sun damage and broken seals, that I am considering this as my best option...

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #28
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post
Did you purchase the ones from China that say they are for Xenon?

I am currently looking for xenon e90 lenses and the only ones i see are from China on ebay for around $140 for the pair... they dont seem OEM, because they claim "allow 1-3cm difference due to manual measurements", my current ones are in such bad shape from sun damage and broken seals, that I am considering this as my best option...

thanks.
There are lots on eBay available. If you are doing it. Probably a good time to replace the angel eye rings with some LED ones too.

Don't be put off. Changing the headlight lens is very simple. You need a dremel with cutting attachment. There's lots of YouTube videos for the e90 sedan now. You don't bake them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #29
yevg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
There are lots on eBay available. If you are doing it. Probably a good time to replace the angel eye rings with some LED ones too.

Don't be put off. Changing the headlight lens is very simple. You need a dremel with cutting attachment. There's lots of YouTube videos for the e90 sedan now. You don't bake them.
I was planning on using a heat gun and prying open with a flat head.

I need to find the right lens for xenon. I actually like the look the stock angel eyes give the car. It seems like every car has LEDs now, I would keep stock... Would love to do something about the orange eye lash lol but nothing too far from stock look. I guess you can say I am a purist.

I also will take recommendations on what is the best product to use as glue for resealing.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #30
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
I was planning on using a heat gun and prying open with a flat head.

I need to find the right lens for xenon. I actually like the look the stock angel eyes give the car. It seems like every car has LEDs now, I would keep stock... Would love to do something about the orange eye lash lol but nothing too far from stock look. I guess you can say I am a purist.

I also will take recommendations on what is the best product to use as glue for resealing.

thanks!
I would use the butyl that Morimoto sells to reseal. I'll be sitting here on the sidelines to see how much luck you have with the heat gun and prying on E90 headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #31
yevg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
I would use the butyl that Morimoto sells to reseal. I'll be sitting here on the sidelines to see how much luck you have with the heat gun and prying on E90 headlights.
Awesome! exactly what I was looking for. Now just need to find lens replacements for e90 lights w xenon.

The Xenon headlamps have a different lens cover than the Halogen ones, I guess...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #32
biz77
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! exactly what I was looking for. Now just need to find lens replacements for e90 lights w xenon.

The Xenon headlamps have a different lens cover than the Halogen ones, I guess...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-E90-E...rk:4:pf:0#rwid
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #33
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

I've yet to find legit lenses for pre-lci (2005,2006)for bi-xenon. I've wet sanded and polished every set and put a layer of UV protective film over them. some lenses are just too gone I've seen with hid hotspot burn, very deep chips, cracks, and etc.

closest thing I've seen to getting new and looked like a lot of work was making a mold and either pouring resin or heating up plexi. even then with either route it's never going to fit true in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #34
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

these are for LCI by what it looks like. The years are listed as Pre-LCI then Pre-LCI then LCI then LCI which makes no sense since the lenses are different for Pre-LCI. the corners look to point on the inside. I would risk 150 bucks on them imo
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #35
biz77
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
these are for LCI by what it looks like. The years are listed as Pre-LCI then Pre-LCI then LCI then LCI which makes no sense since the lenses are different for Pre-LCI. the corners look to point on the inside. I would risk 150 bucks on them imo
My understanding is the lenses are interchangeable between Pre-LCI and LCI. I know you drop a set or LCI headlights into a pre-LCI without changing any other surrounding parts (bumper/hood grille etc) and it's a perfect fit.

BimmerJakes on Amazon sells the pair for $199 Prime. Buying from there would give you 30 days to return no questions asked and Amazon pays the return freight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M4Q1KZ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #36
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

I got a replacement right front lens from ebay. Fits perfectly.

I used butyl rook sealant to seal the gaps. Here in TX is has been perfect. No leaks and crystal clear but I have only had it on for a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #37
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post

I used butyl rook sealant to seal the gaps. Here in TX is has been perfect. No leaks and crystal clear but I have only had it on for a month.
Quote:

For what year?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My understanding is the lenses are interchangeable between Pre-LCI and LCI. I know you drop a set or LCI headlights into a pre-LCI without changing any other surrounding parts (bumper/hood grille etc) and it's a perfect fit.

BimmerJakes on Amazon sells the pair for $199 Prime. Buying from there would give you 30 days to return no questions asked and Amazon pays the return freight.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

yes BimmerJakes looks like the only one. priced so high though to be honest. It's either the manufacturing process on equipment and material to make it, depending if they do an injection mold with vacuum, or a liquid mold with pressure. Or they are priced so high because of the fact you can't find replacements. I know the lights are expensive brand new like $600+ for Hella or $1000+ for ZKW (I think AL Lighting made them though, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but it's just the fact that these cars are 10+ years old now and process in parts have drastically dropped. IMO I'd rather buy a decent used housing and pull the lenses off those of needed and keep the extra parts just in case.

I'm not to sure on the difference between the Hella & ZKW as they are identical, other than the projector lens I've read, but these with adaptive is very hard to find a clear projector lens that A) keeps the adaptive feature with the correct beam pattern B) not heavily modifying the projector housing to get the correct distance etc to even out the hotspot and bema pattern, even without the beam.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #39
yevg
Private
Rep

I have been reading that the Xenon lenses have a clip or something that is unique and not present on Halogen headlamp lenses.

Thanks for the amazon recommendation, but seems to be such a cheap part that goes for Halogen, wonder why such a price hike for the xenons, seems like it would be the same material - I mean, we are in the 3D printing age for crying out loud! How hard can it be...?

side question - has anyone every tried to properly sand, compound and polish the lenses, and then apply a clear-bra or other protective film over the polished lens? I wonder if that would significantly prolong the polished look, or would it on the contrary cause the film to bubble up (fail) pre-maturely because of the polish layer between it and the plastic...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #40
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have been reading that the Xenon lenses have a clip or something that is unique and not present on Halogen headlamp lenses.

Thanks for the amazon recommendation, but seems to be such a cheap part that goes for Halogen, wonder why such a price hike for the xenons, seems like it would be the same material - I mean, we are in the 3D printing age for crying out loud! How hard can it be...?

side question - has anyone every tried to properly sand, compound and polish the lenses, and then apply a clear-bra or other protective film over the polished lens? I wonder if that would significantly prolong the polished look, or would it on the contrary cause the film to bubble up (fail) pre-maturely because of the polish layer between it and the plastic...
Quote:

my current set I wet sanded from 800 down to 2000 and then buffed with compound followed by clear film. haven't had any issues and look almost new with the exception of a few deep pits.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #41
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
For what year?
MY08
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #42
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

MY08[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:
For what year?
MY08

Same lights as above? Or are yours Halogen
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #43
yevg
Private
Rep

Quote:
my current set I wet sanded from 800 down to 2000 and then buffed with compound followed by clear film. haven't had any issues and look almost new with the exception of a few deep pits.

How long has it been since you've done this?

What kind of climate and exposure has the lens been in since you've done this?
(Garage your car during day? etc.)

Are the deep pits due to debris while driving?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #44
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

a solid sanding and polishing will have them looking nearly new, except for the crazing on the inside caused by the heat.

but you MUST UV protect them. The hazing that most of us see on the headlamps isn't actually the plastic, it's the uv/scratch protectant failing. Once you sand it off they will yellow very quickly unless you clearcoat them or put a UV film over top.

Personally I clear coated mine. They ook nearly new, except for the ring where the HID has damaged the inside plastic.

since I have to take apart my passenger side one to repair the broken pivot point I will probably do new lenses, otherwise I'd leave the refurbed ones on there and be happy.
Appreciate 0