E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > think I found part of the L7 midbass problem

02-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #45
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
...merely semantics, but phase is not necessarily distance related...

But that's not to say that phase only relates to distance, as other electrical components can affect it - ie a capacitor or inductor (in a crossover)...
You did not read my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post

Phase is a function of time, and since sound travels relatively slowly, it becomes a function of differing distances as well.

Passive xovers often invert absolute polarity AND they insert additional phase shift (think of phase shift as a frequency-dependent delay). Active crossovers (except for well-executed DSP filters) do the same thing.
A driver WITHOUT any crossovers and WITHOUT any other drivers will cause some phase shift at certain notes. This is one of the kinds of distortion that always happens to a signal as its played back.

The time domain is a complex one to discuss, and those looking for more discussion about it may want to visit several sites on the Internet devoted to such complex topics.
musicarnw.com
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #46
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

fair point, this may not be the correct forum... I like it here (as well as X5 and Z3 boards) since things are more specific to the application. But I get where you are coming from.
Appreciate 0