E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi or i?? NY Winters

09-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #45
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
Yep. you understand

That Subie viscous center diff isn't the best. I wasn't too fond of it as it made the car handle like a FWD car - I never got the rear to step out unless it was trailbraking with a bit rear bar (the caster in the front end just made things worse).

So, to answer your question, the BMW system is much more ballanced. Unless you expect the car to understeer under all conditions (as Subaru wants), you'll find the BMW system much more user friendly. You aren't going to have a problem getting stuck.
I live in the Sierra Mountains where we get tons of snow - 350-450 inches a year. I have owned an '03 WRX and an -05 STI, both were superior snow cars to the XI due to the fact that they had LSD's. The 335xi is capable but it sacrafices snow performance on how it uses braking to maintain traction. Just my opinion, but the STI's AWD system was far superior.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #46
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

I just heard on the news, that this winter is supposed to be the strongest one in 20 years, Great, get your snows on !
      10-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #47
D0WNxiSH1FT
Spooling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I live in the Sierra Mountains where we get tons of snow - 350-450 inches a year. I have owned an '03 WRX and an -05 STI, both were superior snow cars to the XI due to the fact that they had LSD's. The 335xi is capable but it sacrafices snow performance on how it uses braking to maintain traction. Just my opinion, but the STI's AWD system was far superior.
The 08+ WRX loses the rear LSD and uses VDC stability control to slow a slipping wheel now. The STI still has 3 diffs.

Do you find that the 335xi is less capable in normal driving in the snow, even deep snow to get out of parking spaces? Obvs, the STI is a beast but do you feel less confident compared to your 03 WRX?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #48
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Agreed. The STI is a different beast from other subarus.

I don't know why BMW doesn't at least put the electronic LSD on the AWD cars. Coudn't be that hard.

For the Subie, I found that with viscous center diff (that always favored the front wheels) and open front and rear diffs - well, it worked well - but I have driven better cars.

I usually drive with snow tires. Getting stuck with AWD + snows was never a problem - unless of course I was feeling friskt, got high centered and packed the snow under the car. Either car pulls well in the snow.

For people driving automatic transmissions or the STI - I can't speak to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #49
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Temps here are in the upper 30s for lows at the end of september. wtf...

Does that mean winter will be especially cold this year?
Appreciate 0