E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Rear differential GB in OHIO

12-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Rear differential GB in OHIO

I just recently contacted koala motorsports about what options we have for a limited slip differential?
At this moment there seem to be two options, one is quaife differential, where we have to send our own unit to UK and allow them to modify it second option is an alternative that koala provides.
I asked Koala if they are willing to do a group buy, they are willing to sell minimum 5 units for 2650.00. Their retail price is 2950.00, do the math and you see how much we save.
This unit only has a three yr warranty unlimited mileage, complete bolt on.
For more recent models, like mine, we will have to shell out an additional 1280for a brand new bmw final drive.
There's actually a member from here that has this modification maybe he can share what he thinks of this mod.
I make no profit from this, just trying to spread the word.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

that is soooo much more expensive than the quaife!!!! and the quaife has a lifetime warranty...i am assuming this is a clutch type...i would just wait 2 months for the bmw diff in march it is gonna be cheaper than that!!!! they are nuts charging so much!!!! i could see if they sold tons of them and were in high demand...the quaife is in high demand and was even recommended to me by dinan, my service manager, has tons of good write ups in mags and online reviews, videos..

why would i pay more money for a product with only a 3 year warranty vs the quaife's life time...that means this quaife will fail..probably around 60-80k miles and then have to spend another 4k for it plus around 500 for install and removal..700 at a dealer...totally not worth it

thx for trying to get something done but damn that is nuts...you didn't even mention a core exchange getting a new one in return plus our 1000 or 1200 back in exchange for the new diff...i could get the quaife fully done up on my wleded diff for like 2400-2700 total with install and removal included with a life time warranty where as this one i will have to pay more twice in about a 60,000 mile time frame!!!!! just seems crazy
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
A 'failed' clutch-type LSD will just need replacement of clutch disks. The replacement isn't terribly expensive; nowhere near the price of a new diff.

I have a KMS diff and I am very pleased with its performance. I paid more for it for the same reason I paid more for the BMW versus a Ford Mustang. I was willing to pay more for a product I judged to be better and have found no reason to lament by purchasing decision.

I don't want to rehash my opinions, but if you search my posts you can find my thoughts.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0