E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear brakes dragging?

06-02-2022, 12:56 AM   #1
335ithrust
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Rear brakes dragging?

On occasion when I brake from 80+ kph and come to a stop in traffic, when traffic creeps and I gradually release the brake to creep up. seems like the front brakes release a split second before the rear...is the problem with the master cylinder? 08 E93 auto 62,000km
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 11:45 PM   #2
335ithrust
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I triggered INPA brake bleed 3 times along with a power bleeder.....all good now
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ithrust View Post
I triggered INPA brake bleed 3 times along with a power bleeder.....all good now
Also, be aware that the E90 is equipped with HillAssist/StartOffAssist/DriveOffAssist.
This feature holds the rear brakes for approximately 2 seconds after you release the brake pedal, in an effort to keep the car from rolling back on hills.

Even in a perfectly functioning vehicle, this caused a sticky brake pedal release feel in some E9x cars. Tgis is doubly true for pre-lci models.

It can be turned off by coding the Dsc module as follows:
AFH_DOA
nicht_aktiv

Soft Stop/Comfort Stop is another feature in the DSC module that can cause a bit of oddity right as you come to a stop. Soft stop slightly reduces rear brake pressure during the last few inches of a complete stop. This is designed to reduce the abruptness of a stop as experienced in the vehicle body and passenger compartment.
In reality, it adds its own electronic feel to stops that you may or may not like.

You can code it off too in the DSC module:
SST
nicht_aktiv

I see that your issue is resolved. Probably indicates that there was air in your braking system. This causes you to input more brake pressure to stop, therefore activating hillAssist more frequently than normal. Removing the air allows normal pedal force making the system work properly again.
Appreciate 0