E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R Race Vs Sport

07-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
H&R Race Vs Sport

Good Evening, Brothers & Sisters!! I looked all over the place when I was contemplating this, but couldn't really find a side by side comparison. Luckily, I was in the right position to be able to do this so I thought I would share my experience and impressions for any who have this question.

First, a little background: I was running a 2011 E90 335i w/Sport Pkg and lowered it with the Eibach Pro Kit and Koni STR.T. This worked out very well for me as it rode a bit firmer, but not "bouncy" and handling was improved immensely while lowering the car just the right amount, especially after I switched the 287's to 19" 230's.

So when I went to a 2013 E92 335is, I was going to run the same setup, but everyone said that it would only lower it slightly and I realized that I would not be happy with this. So...

My first attempt happened because I got a really good deal on a set of H&R Race Springs. So I purchased a set of Koni STR.T dampers and had it installed. I also switched my wheels to the 230's because they had a new set of Falken FK453's (factory sizes). It looked incredible!! The drop was almost extreme but the car looked so aggressive. It completely changed the look of the car and I was getting compliments left and right. The ride wasn't too bad at high speeds and handling was breathtaking. But... if there were imperfections on the curves, they tended to unsettle the car and the stiffness was not unbearable, but i started to become concerned about the jarring (I'd busted my Adaptive Headlights twice in my E90 from hitting huge potholes) and what it might do to the wheels . Here are some pics of the car with the Race Springs:
Attached Images

07-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

H&R sport will be about halfway between the two. They generally have no wheel gab but aren’t Tucked either.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
So after researching options (I didn't want to do Coilovers) and speaking with a few people who assured me that the H&R Sport Springs would be a bit less stiff, I decided to pull the trigger on a new set of H&R Sport Springs (thanks Top Gear Solutions!). After installing them, I found that they did raise my 335is, but not as much as I'd anticipated. It raised it about 3/4" all the way around, but the ride was night and day over imperfections and railroad tracks. Now the car just glided over them and didn't get unsettled. Success!! Now if the springs will settle just a bit more. Here are some pics of the car a week after swapping the Sports in:
Attached Images

07-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Luckily, I was in a great position to be able to test both springs out with the exact same references (shocks, wheels and tires) so I think I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect from both sets. I would have loved to keep the Race Springs, but considering that the canyon I drive a couple of times a week to see Ma has lots of imperfections on the curves, it just got to the point that the trade-off wasn't worth it. Add on top of that the fact that my wife insists on going in my car whenever we travel and half the time, it isn't just us, I realized that I could live with it being not quite as low, but I have a strong suspicion that in a couple of months, it will settle just enough that it will look almost like it did with the Race Springs. That I would be totally happy with because you would think that only being 3/4" higher wouldn't make that much of a difference in looks, but it changes drastically. Or maybe it's just me...

I hope this review helps and if you have any questions that i didn't cover, feel free to post them here or PM me.

Keep all four wheels down and take care!!

Last edited by hybrid90; 07-14-2019 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Update

It's been three months and there has been progress. First, I changed my wheels back to the 335is wheels (Style 313), but these are the Performance versions meaning they say BMW Performance on the rims instead of having the "M" Emblem on them (I also think they are a darker shade of grey on the painted surfaces but without a side by side, I can't be sure). I also switched the tires so I"m still running the FK453's.

Second, I switched up the spacers. Whereas before I was running 10mm up front and 5mm in the rear, I decided to get more aggressive and went to 12mm up front and 10mm rear. Not sure how I feel about it as the thinner spacers make the car look lower (I'll get to that in a minute) but the only rubbing I"ve gotten so far is the front tires rubbing on the plastic covers over the oil cooler.

Lastly, the car has indeed settled a bit more. It's still not quite as low as the Race Springs, but it's much closer than I anticipated. That may or may not have to do with the spacers, but I'm liking it. The ride has changed slightly, but that's hard to tell if it's the Springs or the Koni's. I just know that the tracks I go over every day are starting to get a bit harsh. The other thought is that the tires might just be wearing and causing the change in the ride. I guess we'll find out...

Here are some pics of the update:
Attached Images

06-03-2022, 11:47 PM   #6
E92Canuck
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
It's been three months and there has been progress. First, I changed my wheels back to the 335is wheels (Style 313), but these are the Performance versions meaning they say BMW Performance on the rims instead of having the "M" Emblem on them (I also think they are a darker shade of grey on the painted surfaces but without a side by side, I can't be sure). I also switched the tires so I"m still running the FK453's.

Second, I switched up the spacers. Whereas before I was running 10mm up front and 5mm in the rear, I decided to get more aggressive and went to 12mm up front and 10mm rear. Not sure how I feel about it as the thinner spacers make the car look lower (I'll get to that in a minute) but the only rubbing I"ve gotten so far is the front tires rubbing on the plastic covers over the oil cooler.

Lastly, the car has indeed settled a bit more. It's still not quite as low as the Race Springs, but it's much closer than I anticipated. That may or may not have to do with the spacers, but I'm liking it. The ride has changed slightly, but that's hard to tell if it's the Springs or the Koni's. I just know that the tracks I go over every day are starting to get a bit harsh. The other thought is that the tires might just be wearing and causing the change in the ride. I guess we'll find out...

What konis are you on? Did you stick with the orange strt or did you go yellow this time just to clarify
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 11:49 PM   #7
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Canuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post

What konis are you on? Did you stick with the orange strt or did you go yellow this time just to clarify
I went with the Orange Str.T because I don't need the adjustability
      06-04-2022, 07:13 AM   #8
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
I am envious of your being able to run so low on 19's. That setup would result in immediate blowouts in the hellscape we call streets here in the 215.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:49 AM   #9
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
I am envious of your being able to run so low on 19's. That setup would result in immediate blowouts in the hellscape we call streets here in the 215.
It took a lot of trial & error. Originally was on H&R Race springs & Potenza Runflats. That setup rattled my teeth and more than once I was sure I broke an adaptive headlight. Going over train tracks was a nightmare. But it looked so damn good!! Finally ended up with Falken tires & H&R Sports.

So I feel ya…