E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Transfer Case or DSC module?

10-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
j30022
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 528i 2008 528xi 2012 X5

Transfer Case or DSC module?

I recently bought a non running 2008 528xi with less than stellar maintenance, so I am a glutton for punishment. Had the following codes related to the transfer case and/or DSC.

DSC
5F39 Transfer Case Internal
5E42 Right Rear Wheel Speed
5F2F Interface, transmission control
5EBA Steering angle sensor

Transmission
CF34 Message from the DSC, EGS
CF2B No message from longitudinal dynamics management

Transfer Case
5463 Mechanism faulty

I cleaned up the wheel speed and steering angle sensors. I took off the transfer case actuator and the worm gear looked good and I applied power to it and the gear turned. I assumed the transfer case was bad so I left it unplugged. What has me stumped is that even with the actuator unplugged and after clearing the codes, I still get the 5F39 Transfer Case Internal code. Below are the remaining codes that still pop up, could this be a DSC module or is it just likely a bad transfer case?

DSC
5F39 Transfer Case Internal
5F2F Interface, transmission control

Transmission
CF34 Message from the DSC, EGS
CF2B No message from longitudinal dynamics management
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
j30022
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 528i 2008 528xi 2012 X5

Still chasing down all the issues and after reading hundreds of threads without any resolution with the OP eventually ghosting the internet, I figured I would try to pay it forward.

The 5E42 Right Rear Wheel Speed came back. Contradictory, my Creador 310 is showing that the rear right speed sensor is working in live data stream but the rear left one is not. I disconnected the rear left sensor to test and the code did not change nor the data stream, so I will start with changing the rear left sensor. While it was unplugged it threw the airbag and seat belt tensioner lights and code 93FB (Airbag Control Module). Unsettling but reconnecting the left rear wheel sensor cleared the lights and the code hasn't come back.

The good news: the 5F39 Transfer Case Internal was fixed by replacing the Transfer Case Control Module from a junkyard. It is under the carpet in front of the front right seat (at least on left hand drive cars). When I bought the car, the passenger footwell was soaked. Recommend you clean out the drain on the front right fender wheel well if you haven't already. If you get the code 5F39 and have had water intrusion, replacing the Transfer Case Control Module may be required.

Next steps: I will replace the wheel speed sensor or both rear speed sensors if necessary. I am hopeful this will resolve the CF2B and 5E42 codes. Really hope it also solves the CF34 Message from the DSC, EGS issue but thinking it will need a new DSC module and reprogramming.
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
hanly2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 328xi

Hello, was there anyway to confirm the control module was bad before you just replaced it? I have the 5463 code for the actuator, I also pulled it and it seems to be working fine.
Appreciate 0