E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Non-BOV Chargepipe Diverter Valve Outlets - can I just plug them?

02-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #1
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Non-BOV Chargepipe Diverter Valve Outlets - can I just plug them?

Hi there, I currently have a BMS chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, and I want to convert to a non-BOV chargepipe. I threw the old OEM piping & diverter valves in the trash about 10 years ago when I originally did this mod, so those parts are currently unavailable.

My question is about non-BOV chargepipes: Do I need to buy the $350 diverter valves that are also offered with this product? Or can I buy the non-BOV chargepipe and just plug the port holes, much like I did with my current chargepipe w/BOV setup?

The upgraded diverter valves in question are usually listed in the drop-down menu along with the assorted BOVs that can be paired with these chargepipes on numerous retailers' websites. If possible, I'd just like to buy the non-BOV chargepipe for $150, plug the 2 port holes with rubber caps, and call it a day. Something tells me I'll be forking out more $$$ to do this properly Thanks for any insight!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Looks like you're n54? This is the n55 section, so you may have better luck over in n54. That said, I seem to have read on here in the past that n54 and n55 charge pipes are the same except for the BOV mounting flange on the n54 ones. So if you want a charge pipe without any BOV ports, you may be able to just buy an n55 charge pipe. But I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding what your trying to do? I'm not super familiar with the n54 plumbing.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Looks like you're n54? This is the n55 section, so you may have better luck over in n54. That said, I seem to have read on here in the past that n54 and n55 charge pipes are the same except for the BOV mounting flange on the n54 ones. So if you want a charge pipe without any BOV ports, you may be able to just buy an n55 charge pipe. But I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding what your trying to do? I'm not super familiar with the n54 plumbing.
Oops dammit, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah the n55 chargepipe has zero diverter valve ports on it, what exactly do the diverter valves do anyway?? It looks like they just reroute any excess air back into the same piping where it came from, 1-2ft back from where the intake piping stops anyway. Say I plugged the diverter valves on the chargepipe, would this cause an insane back-pressure every time I shift and eventually blow the piping apart? I'll start a thread on the n54 page too and see if there's anyone over there who has done this before.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #4
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleBanger View Post
Oops dammit, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah the n55 chargepipe has zero diverter valve ports on it, what exactly do the diverter valves do anyway?? It looks like they just reroute any excess air back into the same piping where it came from, 1-2ft back from where the intake piping stops anyway. Say I plugged the diverter valves on the chargepipe, would this cause an insane back-pressure every time I shift and eventually blow the piping apart? I'll start a thread on the n54 page too and see if there's anyone over there who has done this before.
You probably won't blow any piping apart, but you'll get compressor surge on your turbo when you let off the gas, as your throttle plate closes and there's no where for the boost to go. This is pretty hard on the turbo and will shorten its life. Can I ask why you don't want a blowoff valve? The n55 chargepipe doesn't have a BOV port, but that's because it has a diverter valve built right into the compressor housing of the turbo that will route the boost back upstream of the compressor when the throttle plate closes.
Appreciate 0