E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Could this be wastegate rattle?

11-01-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
scbim
cap
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Could this be wastegate rattle?

From the research I've done, it sounds like wastegate rattle typically happens on deceleration. I'm getting rattle on low rpm acceleration (between 2-3k). Wondering if this could possibly be the wastegates or for sure must be something else.

Recently, I had the downpipes off and was able to rattle the wastegates manually. They definitely wiggle but I'm not sure if this is normal or a sign that they have failed.

Also worth considering, BMW told me the wastegates were replaced on this car at 48k miles in 2013. The car now has 108k. Seems uncanny for them to fail again if they were indeed replaced with the newer wastegates (that aren't supposed to fail at all, from what I understand).

Any input is welcome and appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0