E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Where is the best place you have lived?

01-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I've been to IV for Halloween, so no need to go to MardiGras!!! 'shroom partol!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #46
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I honestly have to say hands down...ShangHai, China.
Especially for Expat Chinese like myself.

I just feel that its almost best in almost everything and not just the world's best in 1 or 2 things.

Its a big city like NYC but not as crowded, but not so big and stretched out that I HAVE to drive EVERYWHERE like LA.

Its clean, but not as clean as say Toronto where you lose that big city flavor, but not as dirty as Mexico city where I gotta make sure I don't step on poop.

There is a air pollution problem, but nothing too much worse than LA basin, so I don't mind.

Its got a great subway system, thou not as crazy as NYC's but theres plenty of free-roam taxi to cover the gaps.

You can live according to your budget, you can live relatively comfortable at $1000 US per month and be considered middle class locally. Baller status start at just 40K annual. And if you can make 6 figures US in Shanghai, you will live the equivalent millionaire life here in the states.

The life style is very similar to HK, fast money, fast bitches, but cheaper.

Its the financial center of China, so its where the best and prettiest gather in China, and there's plenty of job opportunities for professionals of all trades. If you are in the finance field, its def the place to be as it slowly replaces HK as the financial capital of Asia.

If you are into Chinese girls, its also the place to be, the hottest of the Chinese girls go to Shanghai for different reasons. Mostly gold digging tho.

Weather is not as great as Cali (tho some may argue that its got real seasons), but not as shitty as Dubai summers and Toronto winters, you won't need winter wheels or hide in AC rooms all summer.

Its close to the Ocean, the city is split by a river which offers riverbank skyline (awesome "romantic" hookup spots), its got a real Skyline and not the "1 dick and some bush" of Taipei lol no offense my brothens. Amazing architecture with multiple nation influence due to foreign occupation pre-WWII.

They are building Disneyland there!!

Awesome Chinese food (dud its China), and if you are keen to stay American as much as you can, you can choose to live in these foreigner communities that has up to 80% foreigners (tho its more expensive...and boring) and in financial district at lunch time, there's just as much white people walking around as Chinese people. you can eat white food everyday and never have to touch Chinese food if don't want.

Party scene is insane, you can choose from Asian hostess clubs to American underground hip hop joints, British style pubs, chemical trance rooms, multiple bar streets, 24 hour taxi and food places.

I find the Shanghai girls to be actually less conservative than LA clubbing scene when it comes to handling beeznaze. And even if you fail, which is highly unlikely if you look decent, have some game and have a reasonable amount money for drinks and shit, fuck strip clubs, take a taxi to the "happy houses" and knock yourself out. They range from $5 to $5000 so choose wisely.

2 hours drive outside of the city and you are literally like in Montana all up in the nature shit, bullet trains to take you to Beijing, and other big citites.

Shanghai is HEAVILY developing its suburb housing market especially in Pudong. So affordable living is definitely possible, but it gets pretty ridiculously expansive for city apartments.

All in all, even tho I am not "Shanghainese" I fell in love with the city when I was living there and when the condition is right and ripe I will be moving back.
Of course, if you are guna get political with me about communist, dictator and wealth gap, then ya whatever you win, stay in Wisconsin I really don't care.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #47
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

^ interesting blurb
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #48
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I've been meaning/wanting to visit Shanghai. Will probably go in the next year or so. Your post just made me want to go even more. I hear the weather is a bit more extreme than Cali though. Doesn't the weather get to be like -30 in the winter?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #49
spicoli024
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 COMPETITION

Forte dei Marmi, Italy.

It's a very small town in the Lucca province of northern Tuscany. Everyone is friendly. There is an incredible beach that backs up to the the mountains, great food, the best wine at any cost, gorgeous European women and more super cars than a German auto show. Clubs stayed open till people left and traveling Europe was as simple as a walk to the train station. Plus it is the only place I have ever been where you can be on a beach and still see snowcapped mountains year round.

01-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #50
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Lived at my buddies house for a week in Manhattan Beach LA loved every second.
Bellevue WA, Gilroy CA, San Jose CA

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #51
light
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Whale's Vagina, which means San Diego in German
haha u serious?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #52
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hmmm...let's see...being a military brat and now in the military myself..here goes:

Capiz, Philippines; Gendale, CA; Virginia Beach, VA; Kileen, Texas; Norfolk, VA; Dongducheon, South Korea; Vicenza, Italy; Bamberg, Germany

Oh yeah...does Afghanistan count if I've been a few years due to deployments?
      01-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #53
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post

Its clean, but not as clean as say Toronto where you lose that big city flavor, but not as dirty as Mexico city where I gotta make sure I don't step on poop.
      01-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #54
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
This doesn't surprise me.
Please Elaborate....
      01-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #55
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
I couldn't begin to list how many places I've lived, but if I had to pick one to retire in, I'd be torn....

Napa Valley is high on my list, as is somewhere in the East Valley in Arizona....there are other places that I'd love to go back and visit, but wouldn't move back to (Boston is high on that list, Anchorage is another).

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #56
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
I honestly have to say hands down...ShangHai, China.
Especially for Expat Chinese like myself.

I just feel that its almost best in almost everything and not just the world's best in 1 or 2 things.

Its a big city like NYC but not as crowded, but not so big and stretched out that I HAVE to drive EVERYWHERE like LA.

There is a air pollution problem, but nothing too much worse than LA basin, so I don't mind.

Its got a great subway system, thou not as crazy as NYC's but theres plenty of free-roam taxi to cover the gaps.

You can live according to your budget, you can live relatively comfortable at $1000 US per month and be considered middle class locally. Baller status start at just 40K annual. And if you can make 6 figures US in Shanghai, you will live the equivalent millionaire life here in the states.

The life style is very similar to HK, fast money, fast bitches, but cheaper.

Its the financial center of China, so its where the best and prettiest gather in China, and there's plenty of job opportunities for professionals of all trades. If you are in the finance field, its def the place to be as it slowly replaces HK as the financial capital of Asia.

If you are into Chinese girls, its also the place to be, the hottest of the Chinese girls go to Shanghai for different reasons. Mostly gold digging tho.

Weather is not as great as Cali (tho some may argue that its got real seasons), but not as shitty as Dubai summers and Toronto winters, you won't need winter wheels or hide in AC rooms all summer.

Its close to the Ocean, the city is split by a river which offers riverbank skyline (awesome "romantic" hookup spots), its got a real Skyline and not the "1 dick and some bush" of Taipei lol no offense my brothens. Amazing architecture with multiple nation influence due to foreign occupation pre-WWII.

They are building Disneyland there!!

Awesome Chinese food (dud its China), and if you are keen to stay American as much as you can, you can choose to live in these foreigner communities that has up to 80% foreigners (tho its more expensive...and boring) and in financial district at lunch time, there's just as much white people walking around as Chinese people. you can eat white food everyday and never have to touch Chinese food if don't want.

Party scene is insane, you can choose from Asian hostess clubs to American underground hip hop joints, British style pubs, chemical trance rooms, multiple bar streets, 24 hour taxi and food places.

I find the Shanghai girls to be actually less conservative than LA clubbing scene when it comes to handling beeznaze. And even if you fail, which is highly unlikely if you look decent, have some game and have a reasonable amount money for drinks and shit, fuck strip clubs, take a taxi to the "happy houses" and knock yourself out. They range from $5 to $5000 so choose wisely.

2 hours drive outside of the city and you are literally like in Montana all up in the nature shit, bullet trains to take you to Beijing, and other big citites.

Shanghai is HEAVILY developing its suburb housing market especially in Pudong. So affordable living is definitely possible, but it gets pretty ridiculously expansive for city apartments.

All in all, even tho I am not "Shanghainese" I fell in love with the city when I was living there and when the condition is right and ripe I will be moving back.
Of course, if you are guna get political with me about communist, dictator and wealth gap, then ya whatever you win, stay in Wisconsin I really don't care.

This sounds great. I do think the perfect set-up is a Western type of income in a developing country. And nowadays there is nowhere you'd want to be other than Asia/ South East Asia.

Your account is amazing and the most insightful I have seen in a long time.

Please put-up some pictures if you have some handy
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #57
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
This sounds great. I do think the perfect set-up is a Western type of income in a developing country. And nowadays there is nowhere you'd want to be other than Asia/ South East Asia.

Your account is amazing and the most insightful I have seen in a long time.

Please put-up some pictures if you have some handy
I do actually, let me just dig up into my FUCKING MOST AWESOME TIME OF MY LIFE FUKKKKKK YAAAAAA folder and I'll put some up tonight

just some quickie pics i dug up

this 1 is actually from Beijing when I went to the olympics

Last edited by samwoo2go; 01-15-2010 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #58
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Sorry I am only replying now: just returned to the site after a long time.

Thank you for the pictures.

I wish there were more sites such as these for South East Asia.
This is focused on Japan/ Tokyo, amazing quality and content: http://www.dannychoo.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #59
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Hah, I moved again since making this thread.

I'm now in DC and very happy here!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #60
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
London... Singapore...

Steeler Country!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #61
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Mom's Womb

Everything I needed was provided for free .....Fuck this earthly life
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #62
Jerzguju
India
Rep
Drives: 328xi

http://www.fenwaytriangletrilogy.com/ ...

http://www.antiguanice.com/v2/client.php?id=693 ...

Lived in Antigua for two years, although it is a wonderful location for vacationing, couldn't say the same for a permanent residence.

Last edited by Jerzguju; 09-20-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #63
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzguju View Post
http://www.fenwaytriangletrilogy.com/ ...

http://www.antiguanice.com/v2/client.php?id=693 ...

Lived in Antigua for two years, although it is a wonderful location for vacationing, couldn't say the same for a permanent residence.
I know a leasing agent at Fenway Triangle from when I lived near Boston. That building is dope.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #64
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Tashkent, Uzbekistan -> St. Petersburg, Russia -> Vancouver, Canada ->Bay Area, USA

Bay Area is my love.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #65
Jerzguju
India
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcemkr View Post
I know a leasing agent at Fenway Triangle from when I lived near Boston. That building is dope.
When I had lease it was a guy named Nick, doubt he's still around...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #66
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Home sweet home.

Brisbane, Australia.
Appreciate 0