E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Transmission Maintenance

03-30-2019, 12:11 AM   #265
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

That's the quantity of the case. It's 9.4+ 1.5 cooler.. 11qt. You get about 7 out from the pan which means about 2.4 is in the tc. That sounds right. 20 is way off
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:33 AM   #266
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Getting ready to change my filter and fluid for the second time (125K miles) and have seen various opinions expressed about whether to toss the torx bolts. The ctsc website, which I consider authoritative, says not to bother unless they strip, which explains why their kits come with just five extra bolts (in the upgraded T40 size).

Last edited by Persian Whisperjet; 05-23-2019 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #267
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Getting ready to change my filter and fluid for the second time (125K miles) and have seen various opinions expressed about whether to toss the torx bolts. The ctsc website, which I consider authoritative, says not to bother unless they strip, which explains why their kits come with just five extra bolts (in the upgraded T40 size).
The t30s were only order vehicles like e65/64. The t40 are on th4 later zf trans and rarely strip.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #268
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
That's the quantity of the case. It's 9.4+ 1.5 cooler.. 11qt. You get about 7 out from the pan which means about 2.4 is in the tc. That sounds right. 20 is way off
In the X5d only 3.5qrts come out when pain drain bolt is opened
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #269
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
In the X5d only 3.5qrts come out when pain drain bolt is opened
They're discussing dropping the entire pan, not just the drain plug.

I'll be doing this service tomorrow. I'm hoping to have it done in a few hours, though I'm also doing the sealing sleeves, and going to replace the solenoids while I'm in there. For the record of this thread, I'm having some minuscule flaring issues in normal driving. The Sutphin tune helped, but while towing I encountered a much bigger problem a few times- Under full throttle, in 4th gear, while towing 5000# behind me, if I manually shift it to 5th, the trans misses 5th, and slams back into 4th to continue revving out. The indicator shows 5, but the car is in 4th. As soon as I lift off the throttle, it shifts right up to 5. Upon research and talking to Rod Sutphin, I presume my solenoids have gotten weak, and to be honest, I'm unsure if the transmission has ever been serviced. It's VERY clean under there so I would assume it has, but I have no clue when. X5 has 227k miles, And I'm doing the works to it to hopefully solve my shifting issues and give me peace of mind while towing 2k miles next month. Will update with results, and of course will reset adaptations as soon as the service is done, and then take it easy for 100 miles or so.
      07-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #270
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
They're discussing dropping the entire pan, not just the drain plug.

I'll be doing this service tomorrow. I'm hoping to have it done in a few hours, though I'm also doing the sealing sleeves, and going to replace the solenoids while I'm in there. For the record of this thread, I'm having some minuscule flaring issues in normal driving. The Sutphin tune helped, but while towing I encountered a much bigger problem a few times- Under full throttle, in 4th gear, while towing 5000# behind me, if I manually shift it to 5th, the trans misses 5th, and slams back into 4th to continue revving out. The indicator shows 5, but the car is in 4th. As soon as I lift off the throttle, it shifts right up to 5. Upon research and talking to Rod Sutphin, I presume my solenoids have gotten weak, and to be honest, I'm unsure if the transmission has ever been serviced. It's VERY clean under there so I would assume it has, but I have no clue when. X5 has 227k miles, And I'm doing the works to it to hopefully solve my shifting issues and give me peace of mind while towing 2k miles next month. Will update with results, and of course will reset adaptations as soon as the service is done, and then take it easy for 100 miles or so.
Are you tuned?
Thinking about it im having the same issue, but here is my story. Transmission in normal driving shifts flawlessly without a single complain BUT under roughly 70-80% throttle opening, short shifting (steering wheel paddle sifters in "D") from 3-4k engine rpm from 4-5 and 5-6 gear it misses!!! Shifts fine if throttle input is less or if i shift at around redline (to 5, never pushed 5th to redline yet (to shift into 6th)))
Im tuned with xHP stage 3, i didn't beat on transmission until i did a FULL service (drain+fill dove for 200km then drain+ replace pan + do all the mechatronics sleeves+ refill with new fluid = DILUTING as much of a fluid as i could) and here is my conversation with xHP technical person:

Bunch of buck and forth emails combined below:
Hi, my name is TTBB and I have a problem with my second xHp tune! I have your stage 3 (v2.0) on my Jarek (chiptune.com) tuned 2.5 straight pipe 2009 335D for 3+ years, just last week decided to install your stage 3 (v2.2) on my 2010 X5 35D with all deleted and tune, did 110km of SOFT city driving as it said to me during install of xHp. Now, last night after fully warming up an engine and trans I finally decided to do some shifting, here I found a very strange behavior, first 3 gears shifting normally (in D-Manual mode with shift paddles) but if im 70%+ on the throttle and shifting from 4 to 5 (or 5th to 6th - I’m trying to explain behavior) the 4th gear disengage but 5th gear engage with EXCESSIVE delay, delay that big that if im in 90%+ throttle the rpm went all the way to redline and it was like a sludge hammer hit of 5th gear "in" and transmission went into a safe mode where only 4th gear was working, and i only used that gear to get home, before home i shut the car down for like 10 seconds and restarted, all gears were there but I can replicate this scenario with higher gears and medium rpm's...
Please advise or give me a number of person that I might talk to.
Thanks,
TTBB

Hi,
Please check your adaption values. I reckon you will see a high positive quick charge time on the E-Clutch. That’s a common fault on the 6HP and leads to missed 3-4 and 4-5 shifts.
Eventually replacing the seals between mechatronic and trans housing will help. If not, you likely have to rebuild it.
Regards
Clemens Richard Muehlbacher
Founder

Hi, forget to mention that im lic mechanic; I did replaced all those rubber tubes and a dual square seals last fall, along with trans oil change (thinking to double check the oil level now), i never pushed hard on stock firmware in this particular condition but i can say that it didn't gave me this condition (when 4th disconnected rpm rising and then it slams into 5th) also, i have a question:
USDM E70 35Diesel never came with steering wheel PADDLE FLAPS, so I did a complete retrofit myself and they are working properly without any errors anywhere, can you please tell me if xHP is set up for me to use MANUAL mode while being in "D"??? Im trying to say that maybe there has to be a different map when vehicle goes to "D-M" and not "S-M", which is not offered for FF03 (usdm X5 diesel) but offered for european market (FF01)?
Thanks,
TTBB

If there is no pressure leak, then you got bitten by that one: https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Z...E-Clutch-Fault
Of course, pressure loss comes more into play, when timing is tighter.
I’m not sure to what your refer by “is setup for me to use manual mode while being in D” ? D-M is a different mode as S-M.
Regards
Clemens

"I’m not sure to what your refer by “is setup for me to use manual mode while being in D” ? D-M is a different mode as S-M." Yes i understand that, but on USDM X5 35D a person CANNOT initiate D-M mode since paddle flaps were not an option for a buyers! I retrofit them myself and have this option and wondering if D-M map is in xHP tune for my X5? Basically if i rephrase my question: Im thinking there is 4 "profiles", for example on my 335D with FACTORY steering wheel paddles i have D, S, S-M and D-M. So since my X5 never came with paddles do i have profile (map) when im in D-M in my xHP firmware for FF03 (USDM X5)?
Thanks,
TTBB

Hi,
ok, I understand. If you retrofitted them, they will work with xHP, yes. So you will have D-M mode!
Regards
Clemens

Ok, ive got some data for you. Hopefully you can advise on something after looking at some pics, I also have a 4F8A0 code stored winch has no description. Pressure is not very high for "E" clutch but i forget to make a print screen in xHP for the times to fill up the shift! The third pic is from ISTA/D which showed similar to xHP numbers...
So you think the problem is physical with clutch pack or is mechatronics is acting up on me? I did adaptation reset and relearn with NO luck, its still does this thing on medium rpm and ~65+% on throttle. If im racing at WOT from first gear and shifting close to redline in "DM" or "SM" the shifts are absolutely fine and concern-free even up to 5th gear (never hold the throttle long enough to max out 5th gear to engage 6th)
Also, can you possible give me a link or maybe a write up of how to do a RELEARN after adaptation reset, I couldn't find it in ISTAD and on internet there is a hundreds of different ways!
Please let me know,
TTBB

Hi,
Resetting adaptions was exactly the wrong thing to do.  https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/adaptions/
Please bring the trans to a rebuilder. That’s your best choice.
Regards
Clemens

END OF CONVERSATION

Apparently E-Clutch is the weakest point on this transmission,
Can someone confirm if 2011-2013 Bmw X5/11 E90 have 6hp28 and not 6hp26, any links or information would be greatly appreciated...
I think I should start separate thread about this issue and information of what is necessary to do a swap from PRE-LCI (09-10) to LCI 2011-2013 X5 transmission (if they are indeed different)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #271
robnitro
Captain
Rep

Does the higher gears issue happen with stock tune?
Does it happen in S or D mode at a similar upshift? (M is more aggressive to reduce lag time)
When they lower the shift times and raise pressures, there might be not enough of what the trans expects so it does it's failsafe thing.
I've seen the 6hp19 rebuilds recommending pentosin atf1 which is thicker than the zf6/mercon sp. Pentosin is similar to dex3 visc, while the newer fluids are like dex6 viscosity.
I recently did my seals and am trying pentosin and it's been good!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #272
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Does it happen in S or D mode at a similar upshift? (M is more aggressive to reduce lag time)
When they lower the shift times and raise pressures, there might be not enough of what the trans expects so it does it's failsafe thing.
I've seen the 6hp19 rebuilds recommending pentosin atf1 which is thicker than the zf6/mercon sp. Pentosin is similar to dex3 visc, while the newer fluids are like dex6 viscosity.
Not sure who your asking this^ to!
If to me it DOES that in S-M mode as well, but at certain conditions described earlier. It even did that (only once) by itself in simple "D"...
Im using Redline D6 ATF in my E90 for the last 4 years with success, in a matter of fact i just did a service last weekend (with mechatronics sleeves and fluid) on it because of +45k, so I used D6 in X5 as well...\\

POSTs after #195 in this very thread convinced me to switch to D6

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 07-25-2019 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      07-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #273
robnitro
Captain
Rep

Sorry yes, I was addressing your issue.

The link goes to post185 so I went to the thread. I used d6 before this change and it worked well. But in terms of maintaining pressure, a thicker fluid like pentosin helps and is recommended by the propulsive dynamics 6hp19 rebuilds. If it's a clutch e bushing issue, thicker fluid would have less leakage. I'm convinced many companies went with thinner dex6 type fluids for efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #274
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine does flare in the 4-5 shift in d or S, but the exact situation where mine misses 5th gear would never happen really with a mode that's not M. When it's happened to me, I was towing, and accelerating, keeping the motor in boost but not letting it absolutely rev all the way out. Motor had the power to accelerate up the hill at 2500 rpm no problem, so I shifted from 4-5 with load.

Haven't checked stock tune, I'm on sutphin... but I'm sure it would happen. It's happened in multiple versions over the past 2 months, and I'm really sure it's not a tune issue. Both tunes I've confirmed it on have been completely clean slate installs, because I'm an idiot and accidentally opened the door, disconnecting the program in the middle of the tune and forcing me to do a stock tune reset, then retune.
robnitro160.00
      07-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #275
robnitro
Captain
Rep

Spyro the dragon :-), Interesting that your case only fails in M. M is quicker, so I'd think a clutch that might be slow to engage (due to E bushing leakage or other pressure issues w age) would push the limits that would be handled fine with a young trans but not an older one.
What fluid are you running? I'd do a drain and fill soon to get out some of the "cleaned" varnish (new fluid will help clean and suspend it) plus a pan drop gets out about 65% or so... If a drain got out 40%, after a drain you would have 79% new fluid. (40% of 35% old is 14% of the old replaced)
Let us know how much the drain gets out.

Last edited by robnitro; 07-26-2019 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #276
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Spyro the dragon :-), Interesting that your case only fails in M. M is quicker, so I'd think a clutch that might be slow to engage (due to E bushing leakage or other pressure issues w age) would push the limits that would be handled fine with a young trans but not an older one.
What fluid are you running? I'd do a drain and fill soon to get out some of the "cleaned" varnish (new fluid will help clean and suspend it) plus a pan drop gets out about 65% or so... If a drain got out 40%, after a drain you would have 79% new fluid. (40% of 35% old is 14% of the old replaced)
Let us know how much the drain gets out.
I think I mentioned I’m just waiting on parts right now to do my service. I’m doing the pan, all rubber seals for the mechatronics, and all the mechatronics solenoids. My theory is that it’s the solenoids getting weak.

I truthfullydont know what fluid is in it, now when it was last flushed. Could be 30k ago, could be 150k ago. The pan is very clean so i’d Love to think it was done at least once before, plus the rear most undertray is missing (there’s nothing underthe trans pan)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #277
robnitro
Captain
Rep

I've heard the screens get clogged on the solenoids on an x5 forum but I didn't want to take them off to check as my issue was an occasional rough low throttle low rpm shift into 4th (overdrive clutch E) which is gone now. The trans was super clean, probably from the redline d6 esters and I'd guess the screens could've been cleaned by it too. I went with pentosin this time and it's been good. The tuned 6hp19/21 recommend pentosin and I figured it was worth a try.
Appreciate 0