E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Indy shop misdiagnosed issue. Any advice? Recourse?

08-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Indy shop misdiagnosed issue. Any advice? Recourse?

Long story short... Hit a pothole, blew a wheel/tire and have had a vibration/hum for a while.

1. Indy shop replaced blown wheel/tire, and re-balanced other three wheels cost $40, said that should do it.... No change.

2. Bring the car back and had the shop owner drive the car. Went along with him on the ride, and he swerved a bit at speed to show the vibration was stronger on the driver side that was damaged, so it must be the bearing. Dropped my car off to have it replaced, and he had some trouble separating the axle & hub due to rust. Suggested replacing the axle & hub, but he was able to separate them and replace the bearing. Total cost: $550.... No change. Vibration/hum still there.

Any advice on how to proceed? Don't want to spend more on parts & labor if the problem is still going to be there.
      08-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Your in a hard spot. Have you spoken to the shop owner. Hopefully they will work with you. Did they inspect the rest of the suspension components to diagnose.
      08-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Long story short... Hit a pothole, blew a wheel/tire and have had a vibration/hum for a while.

1. Indy shop replaced blown wheel/tire, and re-balanced other three wheels cost $40, said that should do it.... No change.

2. Bring the car back and had the shop owner drive the car. Went along with him on the ride, and he swerved a bit at speed to show the vibration was stronger on the driver side that was damaged, so it must be the bearing. Dropped my car off to have it replaced, and he had some trouble separating the axle & hub due to rust. Suggested replacing the axle & hub, but he was able to separate them and replace the bearing. Total cost: $550.... No change. Vibration/hum still there.

Any advice on how to proceed? Don't want to spend more on parts & labor if the problem is still going to be there.
1. That pricing is not legitimate

2. Bearing play they can confirm on the lift. Nearly any suspension vibration can be confirmed in a similar manner.
2a. Your bearing may have also sustained damage so that 550 is gone. Find a more transpare normal price shop
Appreciate 0