E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Subframe clearance for Power steering Pump

08-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
m/335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i white

Hey guys,

My power steering pump pulley hit the subframe and shredded my belt. Luckily belt didn't get sucked up into the engine.

What do you guys think about bashing the subframe with a hammer to increase the clearance. I heard of people doing this, but getting mixed reviews. How much should I bash in for adequate clearance?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Get this from me https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517332 and power steering pulley won't hit subframe ever again.
Appreciate 1
m/33544.00
      08-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Don't use a hammer! Grind out a small notch- folks used to do this back in the day to prevent this issue. Also buy feuer's mount.
m/33544.00
      08-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m/335 View Post
Hey guys,

My power steering pump pulley hit the subframe and shredded my belt. Luckily belt didn't get sucked up into the engine.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]What do you guys think about bashing the subframe with a hammer to increase the clearance.[/COLOR] I heard of people doing this, but getting mixed reviews. How much should I bash in for adequate clearance?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Get aluminum pulley instead of plastic OEM. ECS tuning sells them.

Fuer's Mount is very good. I have seen many positive reviews on them. I think ECS tuning sells them.

Fuer what's the NVH for your mounts?

I recently did Turner Motor Sports Poly 60a & Rogue Engineering Trans Mounts.

The NVH on the poly mounts is minimal once they get broken in, & it only occurs at stop lights etc. Once the car is moving, there's no NVH. You should wrap the passenger side mount in DEI gold reflective tape for extra insurance.

The Rogue Engineering Trans Mounts are probably the very best trans mounts you can buy, for an e90, IMO.
Appreciate 1
m/33544.00
      08-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
m/335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Don't use a hammer! Grind out a small notch- folks used to do this back in the day to prevent this issue. Also buy feuer's mount.
How much would I have to cut out? Are there any pictures floating around here? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Feuer what's the NVH for your mounts?
NVH is very subjective and also varies from vehicle to vehicle. I find these mounts to be good on NVH when only one is used. On AT n54 gives very nice tight feeling. On MT n54 depending on other factors, like exhaust, transmission mounts, diff mounts etc could introduce some increase in NVH during gear shift.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m/335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
How much would I have to cut out? Are there any pictures floating around here? Thank you
I wouldn't go in there and cut a chunk of the subframe out, Unless you plan on removing the subframe entirely. There's too many hoses and small hydraulic lines in that area. One small miss and you'll be sorry.

The best bet is it to get a poly type mount. Turner or the one Fuer has suggested. Just make sure you don't go over 60a in rigidity and wrap the exhaust side mount in DEI reflective gold tape before you install it.

Back in the day, poly mounts didn't exist so, the only solution was to cut a chuck of the subframe out.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      08-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

I have a 335iS PS engine mount already installed and a new DS mount(335i & iS are the same). Plus E46 M3 M/T mounts.

Would i benefit in replacing the DS mount with the poly mounts in the previous post's plus the aluminum PS pulley?

I want to prevent the possibility of the PS Pump Pulley to, of ever hitting the subframe. But i don't want a drastic increase in NVH. Considering I have aluminum Rear Subframe Mounts for the M3 rear subframe I have yet to install, plus I need to pick what Diff Bushings I'm going to use, also considered in minimal NVH increase.

So I dont want to go to far, but I obviously defentily don't want to have an issue with PS Pump Pulley & Subframe Contact.

What are your suggestions? Ive heard, after I did the iS engine mounts, that the
Re-enforced 335iS Passenger Side mount can be used on the Drivers side as well to have both PS & DS side mounts stiffened..

Also any recommendations on what M3 differential bushings to run when i finish swapping it over to my E92 335i 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
I have a 335iS PS engine mount already installed and a new DS mount(335i & iS are the same). Plus E46 M3 M/T mounts.

Would i benefit in replacing the DS mount with the poly mounts in the previous post's plus the aluminum PS pulley?

I want to prevent the possibility of the PS Pump Pulley to, of ever hitting the subframe. But i don't want a drastic increase in NVH. Considering I have aluminum Rear Subframe Mounts for the M3 rear subframe I have yet to install, plus I need to pick what Diff Bushings I'm going to use, also considered in minimal NVH increase.

So I dont want to go to far, but I obviously defentily don't want to have an issue with PS Pump Pulley & Subframe Contact.

What are your suggestions? Ive heard, after I did the iS engine mounts, that the
Re-enforced 335iS Passenger Side mount can be used on the Drivers side as well to have both PS & DS side mounts stiffened..

Also any recommendations on what M3 differential bushings to run when i finish swapping it over to my E92 335i 6MT?
I think you are fine with the 335is mount on the passenger side. Would a poly 60a mount be better than the 335is mount? Maybe a little yes. I have never had the 335is mounts. However, I say this based on hardness factor. I don't think the 335is mounts are 60a rated.

With that said, you will pick up some NVH when you go to a poly mount. The 335is mounts, from all accounts, do not have NVH. I have the Turner Motorsports Poly 60a Motor Mounts. The only NVH that I experience is at a stoplight, and I feel it mostly in the steering wheel. The second you get going, the NVH goes away. Once I first installed them, there was a lot of NVH at stoplights. However, after 150 miles, the NVH lowered substantially. Now at 500 miles in, I can say it is a little bit lower. I don't think it will ever be non-noticeable. When the AC is on, the NVH is higher at stoplights.

In theory, if you have MHD, you could up the idol rpms to say 700 or so and the NVH will go away at stoplights. I haven't seen anyone on this forum say they have actually done this, in order to confirm this theory though.

So, if you want to spend $399.00 on new Poly 60a engine mounts, $25.00 on DEI gold, heat reflective tape for the passenger side mount & another $35-40.00 for an Aluminum PS Pulley, you can. However, if I was in your boat, I wouldn't. I probably would buy the Aluminum PS Pulley and Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts. $90.00 and done

As far as the rear goes, if you are saying you want to avoid NVH, I'm not sure why you have aluminum subframe bushings. You will absolutely get some NVH and your ride as a DD will be quite harsh. On the track, it will probably be perfect. Putting in an M3 subframe will require some creativity I think. From what I have read, I don't "think" it's plug and play. I could be wrong.

A nice compromise would be to use the OEM subframe and install M3 subframe Bushings. You can rent the tool from HP Autosport, or you can buy a kit from ECS tuning that will change out the subframe, control arms & differential bushings in the OEM subframe.

https://www.hpashop.com/Bushing-Tool...g-tool-kit.htm

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...SABEgLiivD_BwE

I personally have the M3 subframe & M3 differential bushings. No NVH and no harsh ride for DD, but you can corner like your are on rails!

Stop and think about it, these are the exact same bushings that are in the e90 M3, which set records on the Nuremberg test track.

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

M3 has same subframe for most part and solid bushings on sub frame add no nvh it is diff bushings that will do this if you want to upgrade diff bushings then you want some cushion between car and sub frame but otherwise it don't matter the new m cars bolt sub frame straight to car with no bushings so what does that say about nvh issues
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Run m3 diff bushings basically but if you want mfactory or defiv are great options but not with solid sfb you would have to stick to rubber at that point to avoid nvh but stock m3 bushings will be fine unless track car diff bushings and engine mounts are the 2 things you don't want to go stiff on
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
M3 has same subframe for most part and solid bushings on sub frame add no nvh it is diff bushings that will do this if you want to upgrade diff bushings then you want some cushion between car and sub frame but otherwise it don't matter the new m cars bolt sub frame straight to car with no bushings so what does that say about nvh issues
The m3 subframe bushings are not solid, for an e90. They are rubber based. They are much stiffer than stock.

It's difficult to compare an e90 to an F car much less an M (f) car. Apples & Oranges really.

Another plausible option, although I don't recommend it, unless the OP tracks the car, would be a poly based subframe & differential bushing. Really, Really easy to install. Especially, if the subframe is out of the car. Either way, taking the subframe out of the car is the only way I would work on the subframe regarding bushings etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know they are different I have whiteline sfb but you can not go poly on both without nvh my point with the new m3 and m4 is that the subframe is not the issue it is the drivetrain. I have first hand exp with upgraded diff being fine with stock but not with poly sfb but now have stock diff and poly sfb and if I could do again I would go solid aluminum for longevity.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
I know they are different I have whiteline sfb but you can not go poly on both without nvh my point with the new m3 and m4 is that the subframe is not the issue it is the drivetrain. I have first hand exp with upgraded diff being fine with stock but not with poly sfb but now have stock diff and poly sfb and if I could do again I would go solid aluminum for longevity.
Correct, you upgrade both subframe and diff and most definitely NVH would increase.
Appreciate 0