E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 DIY Maintenance

07-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
masako
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

E90 DIY Maintenance

Currently been on the hunt for an E90, but been trying to do as much research as I can before dropping the $. Would appreciate if someone could make a list of some maintenance routines (relatively easy-moderate) I should learn how to do before owning one.

For instance, oil changes (etc.) That would save me $ in the long run doing it myself rather than taking it to a mechanic. Much thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

There's no need for anyone to post what you've asked for. The E90 Post DIY section is full of information you seek. Just hit up the DIY section for educational purposes.

Good luck on your search for a car.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
Korz55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi MT Coupe

There is nothing to learn before you buy the car. Since every car is slightly different, it is best to learn on your car. If you take your time and follow the instructions, you will do fine with basic maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Have your car inspected by a BMW Experiences Shop.

watch for the following big ticket items:
Turbo Rattle
OFHG
VCG
OIL Pan Gasket
Rear Main Seal.
Water Pump and Tstat
when was the Tranny Oil and Filter Changed Last along with Machatronic Sleeve.
what Oil they have been using?
All Suspension Bushings everywhere.

I drive a 2012 F30 335 now, and I wish I could go back to my 2007 E90 335i sedan.
seriously less issues on F30, but the E90 was Much more fun to drive.
but insurance wrote it off along with my dreams of Modding it one day.

ohhh, The MOST IMPORTANT NOTE:
YOU MUST HAVE Proper BMW Diagnostic Software Installed on a Laptop like INPA with a K+D CAN USB to OBDII Cable (15 on ebay)
I have Carly BMWhatapp installed on my Andriod also with an OTG Cable to my K+D Can Cable. it was good when you were on the road and Laptop was at home.

Try to get a Car that has Production date after March 2007.
Realoem.com will let you know each car's production date with the last 7 of VIN.

good luck.

Last edited by BashShah; 08-01-2018 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0