E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMW 335d Fuel Injector Problems

07-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #221
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo33480
Guys -

Saw the posts about 335D fuel injector problems. I have 2011 335D purchased CPO. It has 58k miles on it. I have had it 2 years. It has had injectors replaced 4 times. Cylinder #2 twice. Now the Mass Air was replaced. Codes match those of others in the forum. Symptoms also match. SES light shows up every 3 months or less.

Question... for those of you who have had the DDE replace how many miles and years have you gone since replacement? Did DDE replacement fix the problem? Any problems since DDE replacement? Do you still own the car?

Wondering if this car can be fixed to really make the problem go away or if I need an exit strategy?
I have not had injectors replaced but after reading these boards for the last few years it does appear that a DDE replacement is a panacea for ending injector issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #222
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Restarting this thread after some new info

The trials and travails of my car are well documented

But heres the most recent issue. While doing my carbon cleaning a few thousand miles ago, I decided since we were that far in to have all my injectors tested by a Bosch certified center. (highly recommended btw if they have the testing apparatus). They found that 3 injectors were not testing out on resistance correctly any longer..... they were injectors in 4-6. We thought that made some sense as they would likely be the hottest of all the injectors due to location.

So we replaced those and started driving.....had many issues that we corrected in the mean time as you have probably read through my posts yet still getting zero quantity adaptation issues and smooth idle controller issues on cyls 4 and 5.

I happened to meet a BMW Master Mech on FB and he came over and we walked through some stuff on Rheingold, and did some driving and testing. He went away thinking I probably needed to pull those two injectors and talk to Bosch about warranty.

The next day he sent me this message: " So talking with our regional BMW engineer about your car, I guess sometimes on the diesels when you replace injectors it won't take the new adaptations and calibration numbers so you have to program the car to the latest software level and then move each injector number by one and drive it like 100 miles and then change them back to the correct spot and clear the adaptations again. "

Apparently some other Master Techs have done this before and it worked for them as well. This may be the reason a new DDE solved the issue....it had the latest and greatest on it.

Ill update this thread when we get the appropriate s/w version and the results of the driving and adaptation.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #223
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

^ that's been my experience with my car. The latest SW was uploaded and fixed the errors
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #224
Xtremesldr12
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Injector problem

Hey guys, I am at the dealership with a bad injector. This is my first major problem. It is injector #5. I have 128,000 miles on a 2011, 335d. I think one injector for that distance isn't too bad. I am out of warranty and will probably look for a different shop to install. The dealership wants over $1500 to replace one injector. Are they hard to do yourself? I am willing to do the work to save the money since I don't have a warranty. What is your guys' thoughts? Thanks fellas and hope all is well.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #225
powellrm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D/2010 Golf TDI (RIP)

don't pay $600+ an injector, you can find them cheaper online.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #226
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

I just did 5 and 6 on my x5 35d. Follow this thread and you can do it yourself if you are handy.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290545

Last edited by robnitro; 04-10-2017 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #227
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Sorry for those on this thread, but I'm topping this. It seems many of us are now also experiencing what many did several years ago and are heading down the same paths of trying to shotgun the approach with parts.

Most of what I'm reading in this thread points to the DDE, which I've seen a few people recommend but this thread give s a little more context of why. Seems like there were a LOT of injectors replaced over the years that didn't solve a thing. I also did note in 2014 there was a Service Bulletin (B13 04 14) that provides some instructions that include new software and doing the "Wheel Increment" adaptation in lieu of replacing injectors after a carbon clean. I haven't run across a thread of someone saying that particular adaptation was done and didn't work for them so they had to get a new DDE (only a few reports of people saying that the DDE didn't allow them to reset it). Don't want to draw conclusions, but through doing a several forum searches over the past few months I'm starting to wonder if the patterns are there and it's just difficult to identify. Maybe the SIB is a fix over a new DDE, but not sure. Since there are so few of these cars owned and many people have since moved on to other cars.

So any ways, thanks for documenting in this thread. It's been helpful for me. I think I'm going to see if I can get my indy to follow the wheel increment SIB exactly and then maybe I need to go after the DDE. I saw there are some folks offering remanufacturing services on them for much cheaper than a new one, but not sure anyone has reported back on that working for them. I'm tempted to just put a new MAF in as well (also getting 3FF1 along with 4592, 4592, 4B05).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #228
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Update your dde to latest version and then do the increment wheel etc. I think one of the updates was because of this issue.

Can you type out what each code says?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #229
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Here is what I had done by the dealer in Oct 2015:
"Reprogram DDE and CAS from E89X-12-07-508 to E89X-15-11-500 per SIB B13 04 14. Cleared adaptation for increment wheel and cleared zero mass adaptation for injectors. FRM Footwell module lost communication after reprogramming, FRM was replaced."

The reprogramming killed the FRM module. At that time BMW covered part of the cost for replacing FRM module. Later on, BMW fully covered the replacement of FRM module. I got my money check back from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #230
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Update your dde to latest version and then do the increment wheel etc. I think one of the updates was because of this issue.

Can you type out what each code says?
I've been getting a series of codes after CBU and software update (I'm going to double check with shop to see if they are doing the software update in accordance with the SIB 130414).

Codes I'm seeing consistently:

4592 (smooth running cyl 4)
4593 (smooth running cyl 2)
3FF1 (air mass flow sensor)

Occasionally

4D16 (scr)
4B05 (zero qty adaptation cyl 4)

The SCR tank was replaced under warranty maybe 20-30k ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #231
Asheville335d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335d

Help! Have a 2011 w/133k and have a p02d5 code (bad injector) and is limp mode. Did a fuel filter change 2 months ago and it has been running like a dream. Occasionally a ses light for mass air but would go off and on. This just happened and I’m Currently running some additives to see if knocks some guck off but worried if I replace the injector that it may not work cause it might be a dde issues. Any advice before I take to stealership?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #232
newfie36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville335d View Post
Help! Have a 2011 w/133k and have a p02d5 code (bad injector) and is limp mode. Did a fuel filter change 2 months ago and it has been running like a dream. Occasionally a ses light for mass air but would go off and on. This just happened and I’m Currently running some additives to see if knocks some guck off but worried if I replace the injector that it may not work cause it might be a dde issues. Any advice before I take to stealership?
I had same problems replaced 2 fuel injectors, air mass sensor and still got same codes.

I had the Carbon cleaning done and then codes went away.

I would start with the carbon cleaning first.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #233
Asheville335d
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the guidance, when yours was acting up was there any issues like rough idol or starting up misfiring? Other than it putting me in safe mode car isn’t running any different. Still smooth just can’t get on it. Doesnt seem like a injector even though the code it’s throwing says it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #234
newfie36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance, when yours was acting up was there any issues like rough idol or starting up misfiring? Other than it putting me in safe mode car isn’t running any different. Still smooth just can’t get on it. Doesnt seem like a injector even though the code it’s throwing says it is.
Yes I was getting rough on 2 fuel injectors. Never had any misfires but was definitely not running smooth.

I would definitely start with the CBU and have them do the increment wheel adjustment when done and this should fix the problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #235
Asheville335d
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie36 View Post
Yes I was getting rough on 2 fuel injectors. Never had any misfires but was definitely not running smooth.

I would definitely start with the CBU and have them do the increment wheel adjustment when done and this should fix the problems.
Help! Now after clearing codes with a obd reader it’s only showing maf code but is still in limp mode. Could a bad maf sensor keep in limp mode?
Why is the code for bad injector not coming back? Every mechanic I’ve seen says they have no clue about what to do first. Ranging from replace maf to replace injector but wants to do two cause they are on same bank?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #236
newfie36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Help! Now after clearing codes with a obd reader it’s only showing maf code but is still in limp mode. Could a bad maf sensor keep in limp mode?
Why is the code for bad injector not coming back? Every mechanic I’ve seen says they have no clue about what to do first. Ranging from replace maf to replace injector but wants to do two cause they are on same bank?
Personally I would change nothing until after the CBU cleaning is done and increment wheel adaption done.

Then if fuel injector and MAF code comes back I would replace the MAF and have the fuel injectors tested before replacing them.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #237
Asheville335d
Registered
Rep

Update#1 replaced maf and got it out of limp mode!
After about 3k miles since graduating from limp mode it now throws a P2457 code. Thinking egr is clogged. Have scheduled the cbu clean with abc delete and going with the bpc 2.5 tune. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #238
bgb32810
Registered
Rep

Injector 3

about 1.5 years ago i started to feel a stutter during idle. after numerous check engine light and code resets from a friend with legit bmw software i bought an injector from fcp and replaced injector 3. car ran great after but check engine light came back on. reset it a few times and it would stay off for weeks at a time. about 6 months later it began to stutter again and again scanned to show it was injector 3. took to bmw dealer and they said yes it is #3. so they replaced it and check engine light came back on so they took it back for a day or two and said other injectors were having issues, even though they all are well within limits when using friends software. bmw said other injectors were throwing codes and to replace all of them. i declined and kept driving. car ran smooth with check engine light on for about 5 months and is now stuttering again.

funny side note about a week before it started stuttering again the check engine light turned off, then stutter then back on. hilarious.

so going back to bmw next week and i guarantee it is #3 again. what gives? dde, carbon build up, electrical harness? i still have 2nd used injector and i really want to take it to an injector shop to test it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0