E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > abnormal fan noise?

02-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #23
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonaldinho89 View Post
quick question: how are you reading the oil temp...does 325i have an oil temp gauge? mine doesn't (unless I go into the hidden diagnostics BC menu on startup....) where are you seeing your oil temp? unless LCIs have it in the normal BC menu
E92 Pre-LCI has the Oil temp gauge standard. E90 doesn't have it, and has that old school fuel consumption needle.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #24
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonaldinho89 View Post
quick question: how are you reading the oil temp...does 325i have an oil temp gauge? mine doesn't (unless I go into the hidden diagnostics BC menu on startup....) where are you seeing your oil temp? unless LCIs have it in the normal BC menu

roaring sound at idle is usually the radiator fan - normal when AC is on or in really hot weather (my starts before the engine starts if my car has been sitting in the sun for ages - eg in Mildura at the moment). Is probably normal, you just haven't had the car in weather this hot before I'm guessing

Thanks.
Yes, as Zen said, E92 has the oil temp gauge.
And I believe the noise is created by the radiator fan too, am just wondering why it turns so hard sometimes at idle.
Interesting that your radiator starts before engine starts, I haven't seen that before, maybe only BMW? I have been in Perth for more than 9 years, this is the first time I come across with this, that's why I am quite concerned.
If its just the weather, that will be a very good news for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #25
CYL
Major
Rep

and i found that the engine oil temp starts to climb up a lot faster than in the past. it starts to move within 5 mins drive (used to be 15 mins) after being parked at home overnight.
really thinking if the water pump is not dead but start dying.......
i wish my mechanic booking is on this Sat....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #26
pulsk001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

I have noticed that mine seems to be doing this too. I would say its just the weather now. Not sure where you are but here in SA it has been extremely hot and it is the first time I have heard the fans this loud.

With higher temperatures the car warms up faster as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #27
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsk001 View Post
I have noticed that mine seems to be doing this too. I would say its just the weather now. Not sure where you are but here in SA it has been extremely hot and it is the first time I have heard the fans this loud.

With higher temperatures the car warms up faster as well.
I am glad that there are members experiencing similar case as i did which implies that the noise might be normal. Or we might both having our water pump dying? haha
I am less stressed now since the fan only making that roar occasionally, and the deadly iDrive error code hasnt come up yet. touch wood.

ya, i believe weather contributes towards the faster warm up too, but just found that it only started to be happening yesterday while the oil temp was still moving slower on those hotter days in Jan and early Feb.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #28
tonyyy
Rep

CYL: did you end up diagnosing the problem?

also quick question members; is it normal for the fan to start running at cold starts?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:13 AM   #29
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyyy View Post
CYL: did you end up diagnosing the problem?

also quick question members; is it normal for the fan to start running at cold starts?
It is normal for the fan to start running at cold starts when the water pump is on its death bed!
      05-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #30
tonyyy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
It is normal for the fan to start running at cold starts when the water pump is on its death bed!
great way to end the week!!

anyway i can confirm this? Do you know how much it would cost to replace waterpump and thermostat?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #31
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyyy View Post

anyway i can confirm this? Do you know how much it would cost to replace waterpump and thermostat?
Parts will probably set you back somewhere around $900 - $1000.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #32
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I just had this done, budget for around $1200.

Last edited by Digitalism; 05-15-2014 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #33
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post

Water pump, thermostat and 5L coolant $713 shipped to my door from ECS. Labour about $300 at Advan.
      05-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #34
CYL
Major
Rep

Just curious to ask, i saw quite a few post talking about changing the transmisson oil while i saw some post saying that the transmisson oil is supposed to be lifelong (which i am in doubt as well).
Anyway, since i feel like my car is not going smooth, planning to have a transmission oil change and see if that helps.
Should i go back to BMW? (saw some post saying that it will seriously harm the transmission if the procedure is not done correctly.)
And what would the changing of transmission oil cost approximately?
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #35
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Just curious to ask, i saw quite a few post talking about changing the transmisson oil while i saw some post saying that the transmisson oil is supposed to be lifelong (which i am in doubt as well).
Anyway, since i feel like my car is not going smooth, planning to have a transmission oil change and see if that helps.
Should i go back to BMW? (saw some post saying that it will seriously harm the transmission if the procedure is not done correctly.)
And what would the changing of transmission oil cost approximately?
Thanks a lot.
Don't think the dealers are willing to change the transmission oil unless your car had done 100,000km.
Appreciate 0