E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New AR Design Stage 3 dual oil cooler with ducting

10-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #67
ruphianh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
AR sent me stainless steel lines, as the ones supplied with the stage 2 oilcooler are starting to tear. Great customer service

OT: This new setup looks solid!

Don't the Euro cars have a different thermostat which opens around 210F?
Sending replacement lines for a problem that was created by them doesn't mean great customer service. Something as critical as the oil cooler needs to be done correctly the first time with some basic R&D and mileage before it releases to the general public.

Just my 2 cents.

But yes, the setup looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #68
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

anyone run a 180f thermostat or no thermostat at the track with stock sport OC with good results (remove the air duct)???????????
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #69
Adam Way
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Xi

Neilvosko, since no one else replied I figure I would chime in. Incrementally every step towards this set up is better. So 180 thermostat better than stock. Bigger oil cooler better than stock. Second oil cooler better than stock. Ducting better than stock. IMHO the entire package is necessary for track use on warm summer days. So to be blunt, there are no shortcuts that I am aware for the n54. On normal spirited drives even in Colorado in 30 degree temps I can get to 200 degrees and that is when it is pretty cold here. That's with every cooling upgrade sold on the market (and custom ones too). So in summer days I am anticipating 250 on track days. I'll post back an update in the Spring when the snow melts.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #70
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

spring

can we just order the thermostat spring? or remove the spring altogether?

have the dual oil kit otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
Majority of production cars ever made run oil temps in the 180-220F range. I really don't forsee this being an issue, but we can replace the 180F with a higher temperature if so desired on a per order basis. But I would not recommend it.

100% stainless, same as our production kits for the last year,

We will be releasing one.

Yes. Will be a few months.

Serial. Behind passenger headlight.

The regular kit does not replace the OEM thermostat, so temps stay at the factory 250F. Our Stage 1 kits help keep the oil at or around 250F instead of spiking to 280-300F and limping.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #71
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

oc

not really,

i got to 300 degrees with OEM setup in no time, then added ER dual competition coolers and run max cool mode with JB4 on an aggressive homestead track, my temps are at 250 here in florida. 230 around town. looking to get to 200 level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince ///M View Post
Bigger oil cooler are a waste of space and money if you don't upgrade water radiator first.

Install the BMW performance kit unit (you can buy it without the upgraded fan that does little to nothing), add the cheapest OC you can find (probably the cp-e in combo with their IC) and enjoy your track sessions.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #72
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

spring

can we just change to a lower force preload spring to get the thermostat to open sooner???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
180 is not really a big deal. Take your average sports or exotic and they are right in that area as well. All of them shooting for under 195 Oil temps. I'd gladly take a 180 thermostat if I could simply retrofit that.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #73
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

how do you get the 210 thermostat or spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDriver View Post
Why don't you use an higher thermostat setup, for example 210F and this way keep the operating oil temps closer to the original?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #74
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

really?

those brake ducts dont do jack, just because they are there dont mean air is actually getting there. real ducts have a line connecting to rear of brake plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridk View Post
Nice design AR like the fact that it retains the brake cooling ducts they must be there for a reason

Now let´s hear some more about the teaser turbo shot in the other thread please don´t have it turn out the way your single turbo thread did
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #75
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

power

are others reporting max power at 240 range.

because everyone is on a search for a cooler oil temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Modding is defintly a progression n just to add I was one of the first last year to state that dual core oil coolers mounted in the wheels n run sequentially was the best design..mounting one radiator in front of another or running a marginally larger core in the stock position was never not optimal and certainly not at the price point they were presented.

ER came to market w a sequential dual core design..and its good to see others followin suit and making the market competitive.

On another note regarding temps n t-stats..I see the most power out of my car at 240-250 range and it makes sense since this engine was designed to run at these temps..there seems to be this push to always run cooler temps than this..which when you strive to do has other implications. as others have pointed out time to reach proper operating temps..especially in the winter time is critical for burn off of condensation..if you are tracking..and have a setup that maintains 240-250..then IMO that is a win all around..

A bullet proof track car immune to cooling issues, would compromise an upgraded radiator and this type of oil cooler setup..and I think its very big of Andrew to concede some of the shorting comings with their radiator and original oil cooler design.

Being able to beat the crap outta this car on a track and not even having to stress at monitoring oil/water temps would be nothing short of TOTAL WIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #76
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

temps

an ER dual oil cooler and JB4 max cool mode does the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefactoM6 View Post
The thing is, to have a car that will hold 240-250 on track, I would venture a guess that a 180 degree tstat would be needed to ensure those kind of temps when running stock OC+an auxiliary cooler...so it brings us back to square one...and this is why we need it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #77
Adam Way
Private
United_States
Rep

Ha! No way.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #78
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I did a bit of research on this before and put the results in the track forum but I'll put the product links here for people who are interested. I'm in no way affiliated with any of these guys, just stuff I found on the net.

180 degree thermostat (-10AN size, amongst others):
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=1226

N54 oil filter housing adapter for -10AN lines:
http://store.bimmerworld.com/e3646-o...kit-p1027.aspx

Anybody could decide to build something using that adapter and T-stat, although once you get the core, mounting brackets etc., it's hard to say how much cheaper it is than buying a pre-fab. Regardless, there's the info if people want to try out T-stats and get a -10AN line right out of the oil filter housing.
      03-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #79
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
I did a bit of research on this before and put the results in the track forum but I'll put the product links here for people who are interested. I'm in no way affiliated with any of these guys, just stuff I found on the net.

180 degree thermostat (-10AN size, amongst others):
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=1226

N54 oil filter housing adapter for -10AN lines:
http://store.bimmerworld.com/e3646-o...kit-p1027.aspx

Anybody could decide to build something using that adapter and T-stat, although once you get the core, mounting brackets etc., it's hard to say how much cheaper it is than buying a pre-fab. Regardless, there's the info if people want to try out T-stats and get a -10AN line right out of the oil filter housing.
Hi,

it's interesting you should mention the Mocal -10 AN external thermostat and -10 AN oil filter housing adapter, as we are using those in our Stage 2 & Stage 1 oil cooler kits respectively.

Here is a link to a thread on the 1Addicts Aus forum, that has all the relevant info pertaining to our kits, if anyone is interested I suggest you start reading from post #188.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=610395&page=9

FYI,

whilst there are a number of kits on the market, we feel our kits very attractive in lieu of the quality of the components used and their ease of installation.

Unfortunately we have not completed a kit for the 335i as yet, but with enough interest from you guys it could very quickly move from the development stage, to a marketable production unit.

Here are a few pics illustrating some of the system components.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #80
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

wonder if we can use the OEM oil cooler as an additional radiator; in addition to the dual oil cooler
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #81
Adam Way
Private
United_States
Rep

Well I drove 94 miles on the track yesterday. Others in the group had 12' M3s, 12'F30, a few E36s, Ferrari 360, Porshe GT2 ,etc. etc. All very nice vehicles. The track temp at 9 was 84 degrees at ~5600 feet (guess) of elevation. By noon it was 94 degrees. Most vehicles there hit limp mode multiple times yesterday.

I didn't go into limp mode once. In fact I couldn't get my oil temps above 250 degrees with the AR Design dual oil cooler set up. Although I can't monitor tranny temps, it didn't see limp mode...indicating the AR Design tranny cooler is working well. This is the first time ever that I haven't fought limp mode issues. I think the trick is a different radiator, really robust oil coolers, tranny cooler, camber plates, upgraded brakes with motul... I think those are the 'mandatory' upgrades in order to have a successful day.

I am an experienced driver...so the vehicle was pushed hard. Not sure how to say that without sounding like I have an ego, but thought it was relevant to mention.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50