E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > XDrive = Transmission/Suspension problems??

07-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
tdot72
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328XI

XDrive = Transmission/Suspension problems??

Saw a post on here saying cars with xdrive have weaker suspension and transmission, I have a 2009 328xi 6AT with paddle shifters and am looking to tune and modify the engine and want to know if its safe to put more power in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
eetadik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Noneya

This is such a loaded question, Lol.

I have the same car...09' 328i xdrive, so I've heard just about everything anyone has to say about an AWD BMW 3 series.

To start, the idea that your car being an AWD model is "weaker" or more prone to breaking is preposterous. BMW didn't put weaker components into a vehicle with more moving parts and ultimately more weight. That being said, an AWD model does have its limitations.
An N52 is an N52 whether it has a 3SIM or its out of an X5. Pretty damn solid unless you drive like an idiot and neglect it. Just don't go hoping for huge power numbers, BMW gave you other engine options for that. Intake, exhaust, headers, intake manni and tune are your bread and butter and really help to uncork it. With all of those things I would expect somewhere below 250-270 to the wheels. Maybe more if your tune is on point, and the dyno is wrong.
Transmission wise, you are running a GM6L45 trans. Again, pretty damn solid unless you don't know how to drive. Read your owners manual for when it is safe to upshift and downshift (any manu-matic nowadays will let you over rev it). other than that as long as you aren't neutral dropping the thing you should be ok.
The bottom line is that the Xdrives are awesome cars and if anyone wants to question that just look at the new M5, obviously, BMW knows how to get it right. What you need to realize is that while these are very fun cars and can go through almost any weather, it is not technically the "enthusiast" option. It wasn't meant to be the most nimble around a cone course or the most tail happy on a drift track. Most of the "limitations" people speak of are not simply the reliability of the equipment itself, but the fact that it wasn't designed to do what they want to do with it.

Will it drift? No.
Does the stock suspension suck C***s in hell? You bet.
Can you MAKE it handle properly? Most Definitely.
Will the front CV's rip if you slam it on its face? Probably.
Will it take boost? With a ton of money/effort, anything is possible.
Is it structurally any weaker than a RWD model? No
Whats its biggest downfall? DSC and the rest of the nanny squad

Don't let the RWD BRO-therin of supposed "TRUE Bavarian automotive enthusiasts" (James May voice) discourage you from modifying your car. It's a BMW and they didn't phone it in, no matter how terrible anyone tries to tell you it is. 90% of the fools on here aren't worth their weight in motor oil anyhow and all of the fake news and Googled knowledge they are going to throw at you isn't worth your time. Throw some decent dampers on it and laugh while you pass SUV's in the snow and dust non-Xis off the line. Haters be damned. Enjoy your car and for your own sanity, stay off this place as much as possible. Its a den of know-it-alls, grumpy ED ridden old men and, rich mamas boys.

PS. I'm jealous of your paddle shifters.

EDIT: Most everyone in the Xi section is pretty cool and knowledgeable...
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I have both, 325 is AWD 328 is RWD. The 325 has 140k miles. The X-Drive isn't necessarily weaker, it just has more moving parts, which means more parts to wear out. If maintained it shouldn't have any problems. Change your transfer-case and transmission fluids and don't do neutral drops and you will be fine. If you have vibrations or strange noises, check them out before you completely damage a worn driveshaft.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
tdot723.50
eetadik22.50
      07-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
tdot72
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv7891 View Post
This is such a loaded question, Lol.

I have the same car...09' 328i xdrive, so I've heard just about everything anyone has to say about an AWD BMW 3 series.

To start, the idea that your car being an AWD model is "weaker" or more prone to breaking is preposterous. BMW didn't put weaker components into a vehicle with more moving parts and ultimately more weight. That being said, an AWD model does have its limitations.
An N52 is an N52 whether it has a 3SIM or its out of an X5. Pretty damn solid unless you drive like an idiot and neglect it. Just don't go hoping for huge power numbers, BMW gave you other engine options for that. Intake, exhaust, headers, intake manni and tune are your bread and butter and really help to uncork it. With all of those things I would expect somewhere below 250-270 to the wheels. Maybe more if your tune is on point, and the dyno is wrong.
Transmission wise, you are running a GM6L45 trans. Again, pretty damn solid unless you don't know how to drive. Read your owners manual for when it is safe to upshift and downshift (any manu-matic nowadays will let you over rev it). other than that as long as you aren't neutral dropping the thing you should be ok.
The bottom line is that the Xdrives are awesome cars and if anyone wants to question that just look at the new M5, obviously, BMW knows how to get it right. What you need to realize is that while these are very fun cars and can go through almost any weather, it is not technically the "enthusiast" option. It wasn't meant to be the most nimble around a cone course or the most tail happy on a drift track. Most of the "limitations" people speak of are not simply the reliability of the equipment itself, but the fact that it wasn't designed to do what they want to do with it.

Will it drift? No.
Does the stock suspension suck C***s in hell? You bet.
Can you MAKE it handle properly? Most Definitely.
Will the front CV's rip if you slam it on its face? Probably.
Will it take boost? With a ton of money/effort, anything is possible.
Is it structurally any weaker than a RWD model? No
Whats its biggest downfall? DSC and the rest of the nanny squad

Don't let the RWD BRO-therin of supposed "TRUE Bavarian automotive enthusiasts" (James May voice) discourage you from modifying your car. It's a BMW and they didn't phone it in, no matter how terrible anyone tries to tell you it is. 90% of the fools on here aren't worth their weight in motor oil anyhow and all of the fake news and Googled knowledge they are going to throw at you isn't worth your time. Throw some decent dampers on it and laugh while you pass SUV's in the snow and dust non-Xis off the line. Haters be damned. Enjoy your car and for your own sanity, stay off this place as much as possible. Its a den of know-it-alls, grumpy ED ridden old men and, rich mamas boys.

PS. I'm jealous of your paddle shifters.

EDIT: Most everyone in the Xi section is pretty cool and knowledgeable...
Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it. Im not looking to put up any crazy numbers just want to get more out of the engine and the car in general. My planned mod list so far is wheel/tire set, air filter, intake, a tune, exhaust, and coilovers. Glad to be part of the XI crew!
Appreciate 1
eetadik22.50