E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ATTN BMW Pre-owned Managers

03-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
305_335
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

ATTN BMW Pre-owned Managers

I'm wondering if when you get a BMW trade in and it has 100k miles (for example) do you only pass it through safety inspection and sell it as-is if brakes and basic things come back clear, or do you change spark plugs, oil change, valve cover gasket, water pump etc because those are things that should be taken care of by 100k miles? Basically do you take care of bare minimum and let owner do the rest or are you required to do 100k maintenance if it hasn't be completed?

- - - -

I'm asking because I am considering purchasing a 100k mile 335i (n55 e90) from an owner that purchased it at a BMW dealership but it does not list those details on the CarFax. I'd have to call and give VIN # to service adviser who would tell me what detailed service was completed but he will NOT tell me if I'm not the one who purchased from them which is my problem

- thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Pretty sure you gotta take on the maintenance assuming they havent done anything. All any dealers do is the bare minimum to keep the car running. At best they do a fluid change, but even that is probably limited to oil. They might do things like plugs, but you wont see stuff like VC unless it was dripping oil on the way in.

Gotta remember that its a business and every dollar spent against is a dollar they cant recover from a trade-in. Dealers will do some minor repairs, but they'll even stop their own people from booking too many hours because its not worth it in the end.

All certified really means is that there is a semi-verifiable track record of the maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
305_335
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Pretty sure you gotta take on the maintenance assuming they havent done anything. All any dealers do is the bare minimum to keep the car running. At best they do a fluid change, but even that is probably limited to oil. They might do things like plugs, but you wont see stuff like VC unless it was dripping oil on the way in.

Gotta remember that its a business and every dollar spent against is a dollar they cant recover from a trade-in. Dealers will do some minor repairs, but they'll even stop their own people from booking too many hours because its not worth it in the end.

All certified really means is that there is a semi-verifiable track record of the maintenance.
thanks!
Appreciate 0