E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How does this happen!!?! Paint cracked after dealer visit

10-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #45
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nferber View Post
hail damage? you have no idea what you are talking about do you?
Seriously. Hail damage does not look like that. Plus it would be all over the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwiksilverA4 View Post
the car was dirty, and i needed to make a run for an interview at apple... they did mention they did NOT wash it and left it outside in the rain.

i was just at the dealer raising hell and now they are telling me the paint is NOT factory. i bought the car with 30k from the dealer i brought it to. car fax says no accidents. so for all we know at this point it could have been a repaint unclaimed. my other panels are untouched... weird...
im clueless as to how i can handle this with them to move forward. i cant pinpoint it to bmw paint or some cheap body shop painting it. i have no records..... i think im fuxxored.
Kind of strange that they didn't wash the car if you didn't tell them not to.

But yah, sorry buddy, it's a shitty situation to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #46
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

its not a fluids on the paint issue, you would see run lines if that was the case

it looks like crazing = paint failure and separation

only thing to do is repaint it

might have been a shitty, fast repaint for whatever reason prior to pickup

Question:
Why was it there for 6 days? what was it originally in for? a quick 2-3 day tuneup or something? I never heard of a dealership needing a car for a week for a 30K tuneup...unless it was something else, seems like a long (but enough) time to mess up the hood, and then have it fixed and painted. I would try to take paint readings, and also see if there is a clearcoat on the hood. Take some compound on a cloth and rub in a circle...if it comes up color, no clear, if it comes up no color, cleared. This will tell you if its been repainted if there is no clear...and make it obvious as to what happened.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #47
QwiksilverA4
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: 2000 Audi S4, 2008 E90 335i

answer:
the car was in there for 2-3 days but the weekend floated over and i was sick on monday. i picked it up tuesday.thats why it was there for 6 days. where can i go to have it measured?
      10-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #48
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Crazing

Crazing describes small cracks that appear in the finish. Generally, these cracks are quite numerous and have random axis, resembling a dry lake bed. They are akin to the crazing seen in pottery glazes.

Crazing is caused when two materials bonded together expand or contract at different rates causing lateral surface forces greater than the strength of bond. The expansion and contraction can be caused by thermal, chemical, or mechanical forces. Crazing can appear at any adhesion interface including that between substrate and primer, between primer and basecoat, or between basecoat and clear coat.

It is often easy to determine which adhesion point cracks and whether or not the cause is thermal. If it is thermal related, as usually is the case, it is often easy to determine the conditions under which the crazing occurs, e.g. which stage of heating or cooling. Usually, thermally induced crazing is controllable, either by less abrupt temperature changes or by using materials with more closely matched coefficient of expansions.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #49
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

find a detailer in your area with a PTG. might have to pay for their time, but it would be worth it.

PTG = paint thickness gauge

or go to a bodyshop and do the same
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #50
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Hi OP, Have not read all the posts but have seen this before whilst serving in the Army. A new landrover was being dried out after a short swim and was tucked up in a shed for the weekend with a couple of diesel "Jet engine" hot air blowers aimed at it, the result was the same, sustained heat for a few days totally crazed the paintwork, and Army paintwork is soooo tough. so I would say either a radient heat source, like an infra red lamp used at body shops to cure paint has been left on very close or some other direct heat has been applied for several hoursand just cooked the shit out of the paint.

Is it possible a high wattage lamp was left on under the bonnet over a few days? this could have the same effect. have you checked directly underneath the damage? I don't care what the dealership says, they were in control of the car, their fault, period. if you took a loaner car back like that and said, Ahhh dodgy paintwork, not my fault! they would have a fucking cow man!!! check underneath the Hood/Bonnet for any sign of sabotage. keep us informed and give em MORE hell. Kev

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #51
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZURICH View Post
Is it possible a high wattage lamp was left on under the bonnet over a few days? this could have the same effect. have you checked directly underneath the damage? I don't care what the dealership says, they were in control of the car, their fault, period. if you took a loaner car back like that and said, Ahhh dodgy paintwork, not my fault! they would have a fucking cow man!!! check underneath the Hood/Bonnet for any sign of sabotage. keep us informed and give em MORE hell. Kev
agreed! if you had their loaner and this happened, it would be your fault
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #52
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

did the dealer note the damage when you took the car in originally? they usually write down damage to cover their ass.

i wonder if the dealer damaged the hood (deep scratch, dent) somehow and then had it repainted in a rush before you picked it up? the quick paint job later cracked? look for signs of a paint job. overspray etc. call some body shops, see if they painted a hood over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #53
lucius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
did the dealer note the damage when you took the car in originally? they usually write down damage to cover their ass.
This...

Aren't most dealerships equipped with security cameras?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #54
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
the car was dirty, and i needed to make a run for an interview at apple... they did mention they did NOT wash it and left it outside in the rain.

i was just at the dealer raising hell and now they are telling me the paint is NOT factory. i bought the car with 30k from the dealer i brought it to. car fax says no accidents. so for all we know at this point it could have been a repaint unclaimed. my other panels are untouched... weird...
im clueless as to how i can handle this with them to move forward. i cant pinpoint it to bmw paint or some cheap body shop painting it. i have no records..... i think im fuxxored.
probably shitty pain job gone bad. i dont know much about this, but there is a tool that checks if the car has been repainted...car dealers usually have it

in any way this shouldnt be expensive to fix

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 10-19-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #55
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

Quote:

You can measure the paint. I believe it's measured in Microns. Can't remember the name of the tool however. A body shop might help you out.

edit- From Eric above: paint thickness gauge

Measure various parts of the car and then take a measuring of the hood.
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #56
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

i wonder if the dealer damaged the hood (deep scratch, dent) somehow and then had it repainted in a rush before you picked it up? the quick paint job later cracked? look for signs of a paint job. overspray etc. call some body shops, see if they painted a hood over the weekend.
a body shop is not going to rat out a dealership which send them a lot of business...I wouldnt waste time there
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #57
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
a body shop is not going to rat out a dealership which send them a lot of business...I wouldnt waste time there
yeah calling bodyshops is not a good idea....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #58
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

A body shop that doesn't deal with the dealership is not a good idea? Ok.
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #59
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
dont be envious, eric.

its worth a try. pretend you are the dealership, "hey this is john from Fuckyourcarup BMW, is that hood painted yet?"

"yea we finished it last week"
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #60
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

maybe it isnt even your hood? any vins or way of knowing?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #61
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

well, the guy who mentioned that was trying to tell the OP to find the shop that potentially did the repaint (if thats in deed what happended). I was telling him it wouldnt be in the bodyshops best interest to rat out the dealership.

You would be surprised at how many repaints happen between delivery to the dealership to the delivery to the client! scratches, dents, accidents happen. They are not going to junk a car if someone drops something on the hood of a car, splits a fender while moving cars around, etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #62
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dont be envious, eric.

its worth a try. pretend you are the dealership, "hey this is john from Fuckyourcarup BMW, is that hood painted yet?"

"yea we finished it last week"
LOL, yeah, that will work and lead to some possible jail time for false impersonation...nice advice!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #63
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
LOL, yeah, that will work and lead to some possible jail time for false impersonation...nice advice!

quit your hating. did you damage the car? you seem defensive as fuck.

screw jail time, this is an investigation. his car is damaged and dealer is playing dumb.

false impersonation applies in CA if you mean harm to the person you are impersonating AND THE PERSON MUST BE REAL...
http://www.shouselaw.com/false-impersonation.html

"False personation…more commonly referred to as false impersonation…takes place when you falsely assume the identity of another person in order to gain a personal benefit or cause harm to the other person.

This definition necessarily implies that the person whom you are impersonating is a real person and not a fictitious one…even if the individual is deceased.3

Example: The police detain you for shoplifting. When the officer asks your name, you reply James Bond. Because James Bond isn’t a real person, you would not be guilty of violating California’s false impersonation law"

nice try chump, silly ewwwic

Last edited by mike3000fl; 10-19-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #64
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

LOL, ok ok, lets end the side convo, we can go back and forth on the topic

OP, do you have any recent pictures of the car/hood to prove it wasnt like that before you dropped it off?

Last edited by Envious Eric; 10-19-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #65
kyleJB328
coast2coast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 SG/OY-'08 E70 BS/B

ALIENS. that's all I can say.
      10-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #66
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

edited since we are dropping the sidebar

Last edited by mike3000fl; 10-19-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0