E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leather wrinkling . . .

12-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #45
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
Thanks to you, I am picking up Z9, Z10 as we speak.
Cool! Chris, lemme know if you need anything! I'm in Walnut Creek.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #46
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM
Slaughtering cows . . . fire pits . . . projectile weapons . . . WOW, what a thread.

I understand some wrinkling is to be expected. I just want to try to minimize over-wrinkling (is that a word?). Someone had suggested Zaino 9 and 10 for this. Others have suggested just good leather maintenance. How often does everyone maintain their seats and with what?

Also, I debated about letherette for a bit. Of course, I've heard both sides of the coin. I think what swung me to leather was that several individuals had stated that leatherette is very "sticky" in the summer. Anyone have any other opinions?

Buy some Meguires leather care kit and 3 times a year rub it into your seats to keep them suptle and plyable. you need nothing more.

Leather seats are distinctive and more comfortable after a few years of use. Wrinkles = Leather.

Could you imagine a letherette coat that was sterile and strait, no wrinkles ...? or a nice comfy Leather jacket with wrinkes and good fit ..?

-Garrett

(ps: Dead Cows FTW )
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2005, 10:26 PM   #47
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude007
I think it's unfair approach to American cars. I don't think they are the best and they need to improve long term reliability, performance and dealer service, but people taking it too far - like they are complete junk. I have 11 year old Buick Riviera and leather doesn't have any cracks. However, I have applied leather care products at least twice per year and kept it clean. Also, be careful with heated seats - it dries leather very quickly.
You are reading WAY too much into my statement. Granted, my statement was a gross generalization and their are exceptions to every rule. My past experience has been the leather in my BMWs, MBs, Range Rover, Jaguar, etc have been a higher quality than my past Cadillac, Buick, Vette, Lincoln. The look, feel and durability was always better for me with the luxury euro imports than with my past american autos. That is not an attack on american autos reliability, its a statement from my many experiences with numerous autos on both sides of the pond.

Please note I never stated those cars were "complete junk" as you noted. I do stand by my experience with American cars I have owned having what seems to be a lower grade leather than the luxury euro imports I have owned. I dont see how my leather statement is an attack on the American autos "reliability, performance and dealer service".
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #48
GermanFriend
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325

Leather wrinkles

My 325 has Black Leather. Wrinkled at the same place as picture shown in the thread. It seems they all "suffer" from this nice feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #49
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
when will people learn. not just you guys, but 99% of the world.
man made materials = Hold their form longer, Clean Easier, Cost Less, and are sturdier. If you think that you are a "better" person, or a "richer" person because you have real leather, you are being a little silly.
There is no longer ANY upside to having real leather.
O. Unless you like mass slaughter of cute cows. then that would be a big plus

Mass slaughter?

It's not like hunters are prancing through the woods and senselessly killing wild cows. These animals wouldn't even exist unless they were bred for beef and leather production.

I don't think I'm a better person because I enjoy a burger or leather upholstery. Perhaps a better question would be to ask yourself if you feel that way because you don't.
      12-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #50
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
Mass slaughter?

It's not like hunters are prancing through the woods and senselessly killing wild cows. These animals wouldn't even exist unless they were bred for beef and leather production.

I don't think I'm a better person because I enjoy a burger or leather upholstery. Perhaps a better question would be to ask yourself if you feel that way because you don't.

ahhh. so because they are breed to be killed its ok... i get it now... like if someone came into your house, forced you and your wife/girlfriend to have sex and get pregnant, then as soon as your newborn child was born, they ripped it out of your hands, and slit its throat... that would be ok??

and yes..... everytime (3 times a day) when i sit down to eat, and realize that there is no half way bleeding piece of flesh on my plate, i feel like i helped saved a life. and if helping to save a life doesnt make you a better person, i dont know what does....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #51
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

You guys don't want to see pics of my leather wrinkles ... remember my car got flooded and is having all the leather removed. Looks like the ocean on a windy day.

On the seats ... on the door panels ... everywhere (weep)
      12-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #52
dude007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xit

Quote:
ahhh. so because they are breed to be killed its ok... i get it now... like if someone came into your house, forced you and your wife/girlfriend to have sex and get pregnant, then as soon as your newborn child was born, they ripped it out of your hands, and slit its throat... that would be ok??

and yes..... everytime (3 times a day) when i sit down to eat, and realize that there is no half way bleeding piece of flesh on my plate, i feel like i helped saved a life. and if helping to save a life doesnt make you a better person, i dont know what does....
I assume you are vegetarian? What makes you think that trees and flowers can be murdered for your lunch? May be they have some mind too?
However, I believe discussion topic was about leather seats - not cows.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #53
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Oh and for those non-vegetarians out there, I share with you a piece of prose that I saw in a Playboy some 10 years ago. It is titled 'Meat-Lover's Hiaku':

Didn't claw my way
To the top of the food chain
Just to eat veggies
      12-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #54
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude007
I assume you are vegetarian? What makes you think that trees and flowers can be murdered for your lunch? May be they have some mind too?
However, I believe discussion topic was about leather seats - not cows.
man.. im disappointed again. i got this one real quick on my old TL forum when this same discussion came up. and i was hoping that bmw owners would be more eduacted... i guess i was wrong.
Incase you missed that day in the 2nd grade. "Trees and flowers" dont have nervous systems that carry feeling to the brain. They dont have brains to registar the pain, or nerves that feel pain. The also dont really devolop personallities... any of you that have dogs and cats know what i mean.
Animals do. thats one of the main differences. i guess you learn something new everyday..

And I am sincerely sorry this thread got jacked... when i put my OPINION on why leatherette is better then real leather, i was simply listing pros and cons... I feel not skining an animal is a pro.. I did know that by stating my opinion the thread would turn into what it did. so i guess its my fault.. sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #55
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:

Saved a life? You have not saved a life, you have performed an abortion. There are exactly as many cows as we need. Suppy and demand.

I don't hunt deer or other game, but I feel it's necessary to do that also. So cruel to see poor Bambi dead in the back of someone's truck isn't it? Problem is, you don't get to see the carcass when it starves to death in the winter deep in the woods - so you don't mind that. Hunting keeps the population down to a point that there is more food to go around.

If you're a vegitarian because you feel it's a healthier life choice and better nutritionally, fine. All the reasons you've given are more about you and your issues than about animals. Nature is a rough place... deal with it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #56
dude007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xit

Quote:
man.. im disappointed again. i got this one real quick on my old TL forum when this same discussion came up. and i was hoping that bmw owners would be more eduacted... i guess i was wrong.
Incase you missed that day in the 2nd grade. "Trees and flowers" dont have nervous systems that carry feeling to the brain. They dont have brains to registar the pain, or nerves that feel pain. The also dont really devolop personallities... any of you that have dogs and cats know what i mean.
Animals do. thats one of the main differences. i guess you learn something new everyday..

And I am sincerely sorry this thread got jacked... when i put my OPINION on why leatherette is better then real leather, i was simply listing pros and cons... I feel not skining an animal is a pro.. I did know that by stating my opinion the thread would turn into what it did. so i guess its my fault.. sorry.

Read more science books. Many have come to conclusion that civilization can progress in very diferent ways. Our body construction doesn't warrant that every species must have nerves to develop intelect.
Don't be sorry - this conversation is off-topic but entertaining.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #57
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I want the shadow blue & alcantara. No wrinkle problems with that. Please santa Perves, Pleeease! In a nice little 335iT thankyou very much...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #58
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Aaaaah--- A righteous man walks among us...

The wrinkling of the leather is merely patina. It has character. I like it
      12-07-2005, 11:50 PM   #59
SilvertE90
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Buy the 'ette looks new after 10 years....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #60
drednik
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Could someone with sport seats post a picture? Just thinking that in my car the area below the bolster is wrinkled beyond belief. Would be nice to see a comparison to ease my OCD.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #61
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:

BTW there is no scientific proof that plants do not feel pain. As well, farm animals (and hoofed animals generally) are responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than automobiles. Farting hurts the environment baby (I am not making this up). So eating meat helps save our planet.

Besides, man has been created an ominivore, proof is everytime you brush, look at yo cannines (yes the teeth); in nature carnivores and ominvores exit as well its called balance.

No reason to feel guilty about eating meet. No reason to judge those who choose not too (as long as they don't think their action is in fact better-it's not).

Now, there seems to be definately an looseness about the leather designed to make it wrinkle, again, I actually like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #62
matt19hsc
Rep
Drives: 2006 MB/B 325i & 2006 X3

I like how you are concerned about saving a cows life for a few seats. What does that say about you for the environment? Leather comes from cows who are already being slaughtered for their meat. The leather or hide is a byproduct of that process. Not using the hide would result in waste. By using the hide we are consuming more of the total resource.

Leatherette is a man made vinyl which takes takes toxic chemicals to produce.(and petroleum) That production cycle also creates byproducts which are unsafe and toxic. Not to mention what is the time it takes for a vinyl seat to break down in a junk yard or dump? 100's of years.

In my opinion you are much more "eco-friendly" to already use the leather that is coming off a slaughtered cow than using a non biodegradable substance which generates waste in production. Your view is a bit hypocritcal and confused.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #63
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Another ressurected 2 month old thread. Just when you thought it had gone away.

Take cover!
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #64
cal99_99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

does the leatherette have rougher touch than leather? can anyone tell the diff when they sit on it?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #65
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

That's why a got leatherette
      09-30-2006, 01:03 AM   #66
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

You guys are all too fat and weigh too much.

... just kidding.
Appreciate 0