E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Do you believe in bad luck??

11-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT; BNR34; S1000RR

Do you believe in bad luck??

Well, I sure didn't until yesterday, lol.

Funny thing is yesterday morning as I was driving to work, I saw a black cat sprinting down the road. As I got closer it darted right in front of my car. My first thought was, "oh sh!t" lol. Needless to say about 2 hrs later I experienced the HPFP fail. It's actually very scary for the car to shut off while you're on the highway. Especially in Washington DC with these SUPER aggressive drivers. Oddly enough after mine cut off, I cleared the 6 codes that came with it and it started back up. My destination was only maybe a couple miles away so I continued my drive. During those 2-3 more miles the car would cut power for maybe half a sec then come back on. Pretty scary stuff. I have an 07 335i e92 mt with a little over 81k... most likely will be trading this car in after this incident.

From California, but currently living in Japan.
2001 Bnr34 vspec2
2011 e92 m3
2013 s1000rr
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

just get it fixed. should be under the extended warrenty. no reason to sell the car, all cars break and they all need work.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

DC drivers are not aggressive, they're just absolutely ignorant. Hope you get the problem resolved.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
bigdog34uz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
very true. Mine was Water Pump then 3 days later it was the Fuel Pump! Luckily that weekend I had driven to PA which was 3 hours there and back and I was ok. Then Monday my Fuel Pump Crapped out! But its all good cause it was covered under warranty.

13.00 @ 108.89 JB4 Times
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
what xzibit said....fix it and move on. Minor inconvenience IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane
what xzibit said....fix it and move on. Minor inconvenience IMO.
Its only a minor issue if the recall absolutely fixed the problem. There are cases of the hpfp failing multiple times. With 80k+ miles, i will most likely part out my mods and get something newer. I work on cars, so yes i understand cars require maintenance, but a newer model car would be nice =)

2001 Bnr34 vspec2
2011 e92 m3
2013 s1000rr
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
BoominChu
Fleming Automotive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

If you get rid of it let me give you my fresh wheels and run flats. they have 30 miles on them and i just bought my car yesterday... i know they will give you more if it has run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
platnumdesi01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Not speaking for all the 'indian's in this group....but my mom always told me if a cat crosses your path turn around and go the other way or stop and spit out the car LOL. Again I know this sounds weird. I have many friends who have decided just to keep going and ended up getting into accidents etc. Probably coincidence...but I don't think your HPFP is bad luck, just get it fixed since warranty is extended
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)

The question is why didn't you take it in to get replaced instead of waiting for it to fail?
      11-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Black 335i View Post
The question is why didn't you take it in to get replaced instead of waiting for it to fail?
No, actually the question is, "has it already been replaced before?" The answer to that being yes. There were no signs of it getting ready to fail. As i said it cut power and it was towed to the dealership.

2001 Bnr34 vspec2
2011 e92 m3
2013 s1000rr
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
The newest hpfp that they have been using more recently seems to have fixed any issues along with the software update.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
Cid00x
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe. Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali FlyBoyZ View Post

Funny thing is yesterday morning as I was driving to work, I saw a black cat sprinting down the road. As I got closer it darted right in front of my car. My first thought was, "oh sh!t" lol. Needless to say about 2 hrs later I experienced the HPFP fail. It's actually very scary for the car to shut off while you're on the highway. Especially in Washington DC with these SUPER aggressive drivers. Oddly enough after mine cut off, I cleared the 6 codes that came with it and it started back up. My destination was only maybe a couple miles away so I continued my drive. During those 2-3 more miles the car would cut power for maybe half a sec then come back on. Pretty scary stuff. I have an 07 335i e92 mt with a little over 81k... most likely will be trading this car in after this incident.
The only way to get rid of bad luck is to sell your wheels to someone on here whose name starts with a "C" and ends with an "x" and they have a USMC logo as their avatar.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Its only a minor issue if the recall absolutely fixed the problem. There are cases of the hpfp failing multiple times. With 80k+ miles, i will most likely part out my mods and get something newer. I work on cars, so yes i understand cars require maintenance, but a newer model car would be nice =)
I had the HPFP and Injector recal and knock on wood, no problems.

Yes, a new car is always a nice "theory", but what out there looks like, drives like and can be tuned so easily like an N54 335? Not much unless you want to drop a bunch of cash. Food for thought....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeel View Post
The newest hpfp that they have been using more recently seems to have fixed any issues along with the software update.
That sounds AMAZING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid00x View Post
The only way to get rid of bad luck is to sell your wheels to someone on here whose name starts with a "C" and ends with an "x" and they have a USMC logo as their avatar.
oh ya?? lmaoo i cant sell them, i have had them repaired twice already due to my Californian nature of driving and the condition of the roads in parts of dc and maryland hahah the two dont mix. if i did sell them they would be dirt cheap... they're only reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
I had the HPFP and Injector recal and knock on wood, no problems.

Let's hope the same goes for me *fingers crossed*

Yes, a new car is always a nice "theory", but what out there looks like, drives like and can be tuned so easily like an N54 335? Not much unless you want to drop a bunch of cash. Food for thought....
you make an EXCELLENT point hahah...
with what you're saying and what was said above, about the the problem being resolved, i may think twice about getting rid of the car... i mean i did just seriously modify it

2001 Bnr34 vspec2
2011 e92 m3
2013 s1000rr
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:

Not about believing in bad luck but I feel your pain about the shutting off in the worst possible place.

Earlier this year I had my water pump fail while I was on the beltway right as I was hitting some traffic so wasn't able to cruise to the shoulder. When traffic goes again, I'm in complete disable mode (not even limp) and couldn't give any gas.

I end up stuck in one of the middle lanes of the beltway as cars fly by on both sides and all I could do was sit there like an idiot until after a few minutes it cooled down enough to let me limp off to the side of the highway.

I still love the car but that was the most dangerous thing that could happen. The car should let you select your intelligence level before you drive as I'm sure they want to prevent idiots from driving carefree with an overheating car. I am pretty sure 10 seconds of extra driving to the side of the road would not have ruined my engine and I would prefer to ruin my motor rather than be stuck in the middle of a highway lane! Rather, I got to sit like an idiot in a nice looking car in the middle of the highway with others flying by me on both sides.

Luckily, I didn't get rear ended by any distracted drivers driving at 80+ mph.

I love BMW, but they fail on this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Not about believing in bad luck but I feel your pain about the shutting off in the worst possible place.

Earlier this year I had my water pump fail while I was on the beltway right as I was hitting some traffic so wasn't able to cruise to the shoulder. When traffic goes again, I'm in complete disable mode (not even limp) and couldn't give any gas.

I end up stuck in one of the middle lanes of the beltway as cars fly by on both sides and all I could do was sit there like an idiot until after a few minutes it cooled down enough to let me limp off to the side of the highway.

I still love the car but that was the most dangerous thing that could happen. The car should let you select your intelligence level before you drive as I'm sure they want to prevent idiots from driving carefree with an overheating car. I am pretty sure 10 seconds of extra driving to the side of the road would not have ruined my engine and I would prefer to ruin my motor rather than be stuck in the middle of a highway lane! Rather, I got to sit like an idiot in a nice looking car in the middle of the highway with others flying by me on both sides.

Luckily, I didn't get rear ended by any distracted drivers driving at 80+ mph.

I love BMW, but they fail on this one.
Although thats a sucky situation. Honestly that could happen to any car. cars breakdown, its a fact of driving. And guess what? All cars break unless its never driven, and if thats the case driving a car thats been sitting is usually much worse than driving a car thats driven and maintained
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzibit a View Post
Although thats a sucky situation. Honestly that could happen to any car. cars breakdown, its a fact of driving. And guess what? All cars break unless its never driven, and if thats the case driving a car thats been sitting is usually much worse than driving a car thats driven and maintained
Yes, all cars break down. But unlike other cars BMW forces the car to shut off everything at the slightest sign of any malfunction. Good intentions but horrible execution.

Any other car would warn you and let you safely stop as soon as you can. Not talking about a major mechanical problem that any car could have...that is unavoidable.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumdesi01 View Post
Not speaking for all the 'indian's in this group....but my mom always told me if a cat crosses your path turn around and go the other way or stop and spit out the car LOL. Again I know this sounds weird. I have many friends who have decided just to keep going and ended up getting into accidents etc. Probably coincidence...but I don't think your HPFP is bad luck, just get it fixed since warranty is extended
LoL. i was going to suggest that but on a public forum I was a little embrassed. But you did it,

A lot of these things are mind over matter. But if you thought about it then some where deep down you think it's true. That itself manifests into issues IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:

Car looks familiar. Did you buy it last year from Assterling BMW? Also should be CPO. i understand how you feel about getting out while you can out of the car. They do have end of the year specials with 3500$ off incentives, maybe you can get into a nice M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

fuel pumps are covered under warranty till 120k miles and as someone pointed out above, the newer fuel pumps don't seem to be a problem once replaced and software updated.

i've never heard of the car itself shutting down b/c of HPFP failure, only going into limp mode (essentially shutting down the turbos, rough idle, and limited engine power). if the car totally shutdown by itself, I gotta believe its something else in addition to the fuel pump

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
Car looks familiar. Did you buy it last year from Assterling BMW? Also should be CPO. i understand how you feel about getting out while you can out of the car. They do have end of the year specials with 3500$ off incentives, maybe you can get into a nice M3.
Yes. I bought it last yr from Sterling. Looks completely dif now though. Just havent changed my signature since I joined e90post lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
fuel pumps are covered under warranty till 120k miles and as someone pointed out above, the newer fuel pumps don't seem to be a problem once replaced and software updated.

i've never heard of the car itself shutting down b/c of HPFP failure, only going into limp mode (essentially shutting down the turbos, rough idle, and limited engine power). if the car totally shutdown by itself, I gotta believe its something else in addition to the fuel pump
hopefully it's not something worse. Something that's not covered under warranty =(

2001 Bnr34 vspec2
2011 e92 m3
2013 s1000rr
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #22
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
+1----Got my turbos replaced and on second set of HPFP...warranty works.

Didn't even have to ask to have the HPFP replaced at Sterling. I took the ride into Sterling prior to end of warranty complaining about the "squirrels" under the hood and when I took it in for minor service after the warranty expired, they upgraded the turbos, software, and replaced the fuel pump under warranty...free. It helped that I had a previous log of excessive noise for the turbos, but they couldn't find the cause, then. Probably easier to replace the whole thing than to diagnose wastegates as an issue.

But I digress. It's all in how you approach a situation. It is what it is, and your attitude will determine the outcome.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0