E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil level stopped dropping with Liqui Moly

02-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335xi

Oil level stopped dropping with Liqui Moly

Quick write up, maybe a question?

So I purchased my car about a year ago. A month of two after purchase, I changed the oil for first time under my ownership. I used Liqui Moly 5w-30. Before this change, and at a slightly slower rate after the change, I was losing oil, guessing burning it. About 1 quart every 1000-1100 miles. Keep in mind all my gaskets were up to date, no visible leaks. I would fill up with Castrol 5w-30 quarts when needed. I'm at 117000 miles or so, stock turbos.
During my first change, I noticed the filter was the incorrect size. Made me think that last owner was maybe putting too light of oil in.
A couple months ago I did the 2nd oil change, and since then have not lost any oil. It's been about 3000 miles. Liqui Moly has been super smooth so far and FCP has been easy with their warranty program. Just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone has similar stories or takes on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Are you actually warrantying your used oil?
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      02-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I don’t have any experience with the Liqui-moly but I think I’m burning a little oil since my last change so I might try it to see if it helps...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Yeah with FCP euro if you return any used fluids they'll send you a replacement. It's their lifetime warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

I knew about their lifetime warranty for parts, but fluids? sheesh!
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

I know about their warranty and plan on taking full advantage of it for actual parts....but, oil?
Appreciate 3
      02-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. The kit costs about $60, so with shipping back costing me about $18, it's a $18 oil change whenever I want to do it. Oil, filter, o-rings, crush washer.

FYI, I typically buy an extra quart of 5w-30 every oil change for $10 or so from autozone to pour through engine with drain plug and oil filter removed. Just to make sure no extra dirt or other contaminents.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

FCP should probably just not warranty oil and similar things. Shipping back used oil to them! That's insane lol. Does UPS or USPS even allow that? It could be fuel soaked for all they know and be maybe somewhat flammable...

In regards to your post,

I switched from Mobil 1 0w-40 euro to Shell Rotella T5 syn. Pretty sure its 5w-40. But ive had no oil top offs in-between oil changes now and the engine seems to start alittle smoother and quieter on Cold Starts and run 20-30f cooler for much longer on the stock oil cooler setup...

I do want to try that oil you used as well though, next oil change. They have it local so its easier..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
FCP should probably just not warranty oil and similar things. Shipping back used oil to them! That's insane lol. Does UPS or USPS even allow that? It could be fuel soaked for all they know and be maybe somewhat flammable...

In regards to your post,

I switched from Mobil 1 0w-40 euro to Shell Rotella T5 syn. Pretty sure its 5w-40. But ive had no oil top offs in-between oil changes now and the engine seems to start alittle smoother and quieter on Cold Starts and run 20-30f cooler for much longer on the stock oil cooler setup...

I do want to try that oil you used as well though, next oil change. They have it local so its easier..
Sure it's not T6? T5 is semi-synthetic. I have 3100 miles on the dealer oil, am sitting on 2 gallons of Liqui-moly Leichtlauf 5w-40 waiting to go in soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know about their warranty and plan on taking full advantage of it for actual parts....but, oil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post

In regards to your post,

I'm surprised you are all surprised by this! I thought most people know this. I'm personally not doing it with oil since I'm in Canada but if I were in the USA I would definitely be returning my oil and filter kit for every change.

But I'm about to return a coolant jug + a 1L bottle. They said it's fine to return back 50/50 mix even though it comes in a concentrated. Same thing for my 2 bottles of used brake fluid and my cabin filter and wiper once times comes.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

We do know about it, just choose not to use it for something like oil. The surprising part is that people actually would. If there was ever a chance of FCP discontinuing their warranty it would because of something like this.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We do know about it, just choose not to use it for something like oil. The surprising part is that people actually would. If there was ever a chance of FCP discontinuing their warranty it would because of something like this.
What do you mean! Why would you not ! They encourage you to do it..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #13
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

You even get warranty for brakes pads and rotors. Their prices are higher and they stopped price matching. But obviously it's still worth it since they have original BMW parts and still less than dealer prices. Their business model works fantastic and I hear they're doing non-stop roaring business because of that lifetime warranty and repeat customers.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #14
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
They actually have a video on their website showing you how to properly pack the oil for returns...
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #15
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
They actually have a video on their website showing you how to properly pack the oil for returns...
Yeah, they're not crazy and are laughing all the way to the bank. In auto parts business, sustained volume sales is key to profit maximization. By the time you claim your warranty, you've bought many parts from them. I keep going back to them knowing that if a part fails or simply wears out, that I bought from them, I'm covered. In the meantime, they're minting money through repeat business. Genius really.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #16
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Quote:
Yeah, they're not crazy and are laughing all the way to the bank. In auto parts business, sustained volume sales is key to profit maximization. By the time you claim your warranty, you've bought many parts from them. I keep going back to them knowing that if a part fails or simply wears out, that I bought from them, I'm covered. In the meantime, they're minting money through repeat business. Genius really.
Agreed. Honestly, due to convenience and some sort of money savings on buyer's (my) end, it's a win-win situation for FCP and buyer. Very clever.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #17
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
That's interesting, I didn't know that. I was going to rant about how you people should feel ashamed for returning used oil to get more for free, but now that I think about it how many people out there are actually doing this? Not that many I guess compared to how much they probably sell as you guys mentioned.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:
That's interesting, I didn't know that. I was going to rant about how you people should feel ashamed for returning used oil to get more for free, but now that I think about it how many people out there are actually doing this? Not that many I guess compared to how much they probably sell as you guys mentioned.
I think they may also get tax credit or something for eco-friendly disposal of fluids. Just guessing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

What the catch?

Inflated shipping costs, minimum term before you can claim, inferior product?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
What the catch?

Inflated shipping costs, minimum term before you can claim, inferior product?
The only catch I would say is sometimes I notice the price part will be maybe around 10$ or 15$ more.

Another "catch" I guess you can say is warranty is not transferable if you sell the car. But it is lifetime to you as long as you keep the car (or if FCP shuts down I guess haha). Note you also have to pay return shipping but that is usually cheaper than the part + the shipping to get it.

Shipping is reasonable and free shipping above 50$ I believe.

The quality is top notch. They're website is very well built.

They even sell dealer genuine parts or you can buy literally the same part without the BMW logo (a "OE" part as it's called) for like 30% to 50% less (no BMW markup).

You also can choose OEM quality which isn't the exact same part at the dealer but it's still a reputable manufacturer that usually would be good.

I personally rather stick with OE is the prices are good because usually between OE and OEM the OEM is only slightly cheaper.
Appreciate 2
musa421.50
      02-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #21
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
The only catch I would say is sometimes I notice the price part will be maybe around 10$ or 15$ more.

Another "catch" I guess you can say is warranty is not transferable if you sell the car. But it is lifetime to you as long as you keep the car (or if FCP shuts down I guess haha). Note you also have to pay return shipping but that is usually cheaper than the part + the shipping to get it.

Shipping is reasonable and free shipping above 50$ I believe.

The quality is top notch. They're website is very well built.

They even sell dealer genuine parts or you can buy literally the same part without the BMW logo (a "OE" part as it's called) for like 30% to 50% less (no BMW markup).

You also can choose OEM quality which isn't the exact same part at the dealer but it's still a reputable manufacturer that usually would be good.

I personally rather stick with OE is the prices are good because usually between OE and OEM the OEM is only slightly cheaper.
The other catch is that you will have to buy the warrantied part first, they ship it to you, you return the old warrantied part, they receive it and verify it's from them, you get store credit. And so in this way, if you need another car part, you will definitely buy from them because you have a store credit, duh Genius, eh . If they didn't do that, they'd go bankrupt obviously. Remember, your store credit is actually money they can trade with and is interest earning, for them i.e. not you!. And when we're talking of revenue running into millions of dollars per month, we're talking of hardcore business. The owners must be real business gurus. But, it's a win-win for both YOU and them.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
How the Lifetime Replacement Guarantee Works

1. You must have a valid purchase through FCP Euro to participateUnder no circumstance will we take back parts that are not ours. We inspect all parts upon arrival. If we receive a part that is not ours, we will charge you to ship it back or discard it.
2. When you need a replacement, you must purchase the new replacement part firstThis is a lifetime replacement program and we will not issue refund against your original order.
3. Once you receive your replacement part, you can send the initial item you purchased from FCP Euro backAbsolutely no return will be accepted without our fully completed returns form.
4. Upon receipt of part, we will issue you the refund against your replacement orderWe do not cover the cost of brand upgrades
5. The only exclusion to this program is empty containers with contents that can not be physically returned. For example aerosol spray cleaners and additives that have been discharged or emptied.

Last edited by musa; 02-21-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #22
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

When I have warrantied parts with FCP they put the money back on to the credit card I paid with, not store credit.
Appreciate 1