E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > The end to all Bluetooth Audio streaming threads

11-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #89
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamonkey View Post
So I installed the Kinivo BTC450 and am reporting back.... The Kinivo vs the tune2air is like comparing a really nice scotch to a Keystone Light. My phone connects almost instantly, the included wired remote works great, and the sound quality is phenomenal.
May I ask what phone you are using?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #90
stamonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
May I ask what phone you are using?
An LG G4 which does support aptx.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #91
Donfire
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
I recently got the audio engine b1. I am a iOS user and have the signal from my phone go to the audio engine, then out via optical to my match 82dsp and the sound quality is great. Much better than the stock audio jack.

So to RSV's point and beyond. I think the audio engine does a stellar job at the apple codex as well as aptx, seeing as I'm not using the built in DAC of the audio engine and the sound is still very good.
Does this setup give u any feedback? I have my iPhone going straight to my match 82dsp and when it is charging I hear feedback. Wondering if yo have feedback via optical
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 05:13 AM   #92
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfire View Post
Does this setup give u any feedback? I have my iPhone going straight to my match 82dsp and when it is charging I hear feedback. Wondering if yo have feedback via optical
Feedback? No I don't. Are you using the B1 also?

I have noticed that my digital signal has changed, either the 82dsp's input got messed up or something, cause now it sounds like everything is in mono. I took the B1 out of the car and hooked it up to my home stereo via digital and it sounded fine. I contacted Don at unexpected creations and he seemed very skeptical that it would be the dsp. So currently I don't have B1 hooked up, as I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #93
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Why don't you try another stereo source directly into the
helix to verify.
Phone with mini stereo cable maybe
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #94
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Why don't you try another stereo source directly into the
helix to verify.
Phone with mini stereo cable maybe
Yes I could do that, but that wouldn't tell me if one of the dac's took a crap or if something else went wrong in the digital signal.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #95
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

But it would eliminate the Helix as the source of the problem, ig you are going through the analog input.
Maybe I am taking for granted that the B1 uses and analog signal and not a digital or optic one from the B1.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #96
Donfire
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I don't have one yet, but I have used audio jack out straight to match from iPhone 6 while charging and it gives feedback. Wondering if the b1 would have same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
Feedback? No I don't. Are you using the B1 also?

I have noticed that my digital signal has changed, either the 82dsp's input got messed up or something, cause now it sounds like everything is in mono. I took the B1 out of the car and hooked it up to my home stereo via digital and it sounded fine. I contacted Don at unexpected creations and he seemed very skeptical that it would be the dsp. So currently I don't have B1 hooked up, as I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #97
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Wireless streaming and the quality of music are my two most important requirements. standards set too high? HELL YEAH

Having logic 7 with USB and Aux (6FL) in the center console didn't give me much of a choice at first. It was either the iPod (y-cable) connection or just a USB flash drive.
Why not use have a USB flash drive with lossless files plugged into the USB 24/7?
      12-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #98
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
Quote:
Wireless streaming and the quality of music are my two most important requirements. standards set too high? HELL YEAH

Having logic 7 with USB and Aux (6FL) in the center console didn't give me much of a choice at first. It was either the iPod (y-cable) connection or just a USB flash drive.
Why not use have a USB flash drive with lossless files plugged into the USB 24/7?
Because I don't have time to scroll through music on non I drive system. And updating the USB every time is a hassle.

Where as it's on the phone constantly synced or streamed with new content. Phone is way easier to deal with skipping and looking for tracks..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #99
Powersx
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 325i 2008

Sorry but even after reading all this thread I couldn't figure out what's best for my iPhone 6, BMW e92 325i 2008. Also I don't have USB port beside the AUX input inside the center armrest
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #100
codegeek
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
Aukey Bluetooth and Qi Wireless Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoppp View Post
What I did for my father's 335i was buy a bluetooth receiver like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Rec.../dp/B0168GBMCY.
Thanks zoppp, your suggestion was what I picked. I looked at a lot of options for this (obviously this thread), but I also saw the post from 'Nick_' about adding a Nexus 7 tablet to his 328i. BTW - Nice install if you haven't seen it (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941860). What I really liked about Nick_'s post was the use of a Qi wireless charger. I set one up in my last car and ended up re-purposing it in this install. I like having the wireless charger for my phone, but don't want my phone sitting out in plain view all the time. I occasionally forget it in the car, so it's nice having it stowed in the armrest.

I have a 2011 335i convertible (non-iDrive). I wanted Bluetooth streaming from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) in addition to the option of using a flash drive in center arm rest. I have a phone adapter in the center armrest that is basically useless because there isn't a snap-in adapter for my Android phone. However, I didn't want to remove it as I go through cars with some regularity and always end up with extra parts that I forget when I trade in a car.

Regarding my music, most of the time I use my phone to stream stations from Amazon Prime. I've been on the road in some fairly remote locations where cellular reception gets spotty, so the USB flash drive is a good back-up option when the signal drops.

I saw the Aukey receiver on an Amazon Prime lightning deal for $19 after reading zoppp's post. It's on Amazon now for $23. I didn't use the 3 port USB charger since I already have a 2 port low-profile charger that takes up less space. One port is used for my Qi wireless charger, the other is used for the Aukey receiver.

Installation was pretty simple, but if you use my example you accept all the risks and liability for anything that you do. Got that? It's not my fault... it's your fault.

Before you start, get an idea where you want to place the Aukey receiver. Also, make sure everything works before you start pulling things apart. These are the steps for getting it positioned like mine. If you don't know how to remove the parts mentioned below... YouTube is your friend. I am not. Figure it out before you break something.

1. Pull up the boot around the shifter.
2. Pull up plate around the shifter (the one the shifter boot snaps into).
3. Pull up the trim on the center console (steady pressure straight up from where the shifter plate was connected. DO NOT try using a trim tool to pry it around the edge. You'll break something or chip the trim. Ask me how I know.
4. Pull up the boot around the e-brake.
5. Pop out the vent by the e-brake in the armrest.

If needed, shift to transmission into neutral, if it helps to get things positioned better. Remember to keep your foot on brake.

6. Route cables through the vent in the armrest by the e-brake, through the opening towards the passenger-side, and then forward towards the shifter.

Optional, but recommended, use a Dremel to create small hidden notches in places where you think the cabling might pinch. In the attached photos, I show where I did this.

7. Put everything back, in reverse order (steps 5 thru 1).

Pros:
Reversible solution with minimal space taken up.
Auto-connection to my phone when I start the car. The Aukey receiver plays a couple of nice little tones when it starts, so if you haven't turned your phones Bluetooth connection on , it serves as a reminder.

Cons:
Sorry, still no steering wheel controls, but the Aukey receiver does allow you to move forward and back. It also has a phone button for making calls. When accidentally pushed that button, my phone called the last number I had in my list.

I use Tasker to automate functionality of my phone, so I'll probably turn on Driving Mode in my phone when the bluetooth and charging are both active. Samsung has an app that has allowed me voice dial in the past and also gets text messages read to me.

For the Qi wireless charger (sorry, I don't remember the model I ordered a couple of years ago), I just created a cardboard template that fit into the spot over the phone snap-in cradle and cut a tray out of a sheet of black semi-transparent 1/8” acrylic (Plexiglas). I did add an extra 3/4” of acrylic that I didn't account for with the template to keep my phone in place. I used a heat gun to bend that 3/4” tab up so the phone won't slide around. To finish it up, I sanded all the edges of the acrylic so it wouldn't scratch anything and then added a couple of stick on rubber feet that will keep the Qi charger from sliding around.

The tray fits very snug and rests nicely on top of the phone cradle about 3/4” above the base of the phone cradle. I wanted the tray well about the cradle because the magnetic induction from the charger could heat any metal in the cradle. If you aren't familiar with how wireless chargers work, I recommend you research that before you attempt to use one in your car or on your phone for that matter. They have the potential of heating any metal near them. This includes wires below them and little screws in that fancy phone case on your phone. Once again, you assume all liability for your installation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #101
Powersx
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 325i 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOSLICE View Post
whats the best option for bluetooth for those with just the aux and no usb slot?
Sorry for this old one. I'm still looking for my best choice for my e92 325i and an iPhone 6 no USB slot, only AUX. Did you find anything yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #102
steezus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i & AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersx View Post
Sorry for this old one. I'm still looking for my best choice for my e92 325i and an iPhone 6 no USB slot, only AUX. Did you find anything yet?
Psh, I'm still trying to figure this out too. Right now I'm thinking it's between the Rocketfish and the Audioengine B1.

I recently bought the Miccus Mini-jack RX, and am returning it after a day. It connects quickly, however the volume difference between using it and the radio is horrible. If I turned it off, I hear the speakers loud interference - if I switch to radio without turning the car volume back down, I go deaf lol.

Instagram: ryn.chrs
www.rynchrs.com
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #103
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Just wanted to add another positive Rocketfish review to the mix. Haven't tried it with any devices that don't support apt-x, but it works flawlessly with my galaxy s7 edge and my old LG G3. No difference in quality from the aux cable (I'm not an audiophile though). I will say there is some clipping if I max the volume on my phone, so I leave my phone at around 70-80% volume and increase the volume from there using the car volume controls.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #104
bimmbo
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328iT

Questions about the rocketfish: does it pair automatically when the car ignition is turned on without having to press any buttons, and does it stay on when the engine is turned off and the radio is still on (for instance when you reach your destination and turn off the engine but stay in the car)? My 2008 e91 center console charger turns off when the engine is turned off so I can't keep listening to music on my current BlackBerry Gateway bluetooth receiver unless I turn the ignition back on and wait for it to repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:37 AM   #105
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmbo View Post
Questions about the rocketfish: does it pair automatically when the car ignition is turned on without having to press any buttons, and does it stay on when the engine is turned off and the radio is still on (for instance when you reach your destination and turn off the engine but stay in the car)? My 2008 e91 center console charger turns off when the engine is turned off so I can't keep listening to music on my current BlackBerry Gateway bluetooth receiver unless I turn the ignition back on and wait for it to repair.
It does pair automatically, but it does not have any battery so it will power off when the charger powers off. Mine seems to power off like 5 min after I turn off the engine, so I can still hear music while getting out of the car and everything. It has an on/off switch but I just leave it on and let the car power it on and off.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #106
TIRA
tirabytes.com
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Not sure if someone brought this up yet, but I just purchased this.

http://www.tunai-creative.com/firefly.html

Looks promising and smaller footprint.. Not sure if I will need a "L" USB adapter so I can close my centre console..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371680450444...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:38 AM   #107
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirabytes View Post
Not sure if someone brought this up yet, but I just purchased this.

http://www.tunai-creative.com/firefly.html

Looks promising and smaller footprint.. Not sure if I will need a "L" USB adapter so I can close my centre console..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371680450444...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Good find. I'm ordering it as well. As support for AAC and party mode
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #108
TIRA
tirabytes.com
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Got the package today

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #109
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirabytes View Post
Got the package today

How's it sound? I should have mines tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #110
TIRA
tirabytes.com
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
How's it sound? I should have mines tomorrow
Will let you know, don't expect too much - I dont have L7, lol. But I can compare it with my previous cheap ebay one ($5).
Appreciate 0