E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > INJECTORS not responding to ISTA

03-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
8303otte
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

INJECTORS not responding to ISTA

Hi All

Bit of a strange one. I have been having issues with idling on cold on scanning there was a misfire code for 1 and 3 which I cleared (stupidly) however I have had a look at turning the injectors on and off however. Only injector 2 makes the car run worse, so I know 1 and 3 have a problem.
Now when I tried turning off 4,5, and 6 I get the attached error I think it is saying the ECU can't talk to it. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the dme doesn't "talk" to injectors.

they are analog devices.

and you need to determine if your issue is fueling or ignition.
swap parts from suspected bad cylinders to other ones and see if the problem follows the part.

I'm willing to bet the injectors are probably fine.

check the wiring closely though, I replaced an injector for an intermittent connector issue.
injector was fine. connector sucked.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8303otte View Post
Hi All

Bit of a strange one. I have been having issues with idling on cold on scanning there was a misfire code for 1 and 3 which I cleared (stupidly) however I have had a look at turning the injectors on and off however. Only injector 2 makes the car run worse, so I know 1 and 3 have a problem.
Now when I tried turning off 4,5, and 6 I get the attached error I think it is saying the ECU can't talk to it. Any ideas?
Many if the DME tests require a specific engine state. Running at idle, stopped or above below a certain RPM. Those RPMs can not be achieved with the throttle pedal. You need to use Insta D or INPA Tools to set the idle speeds

There are a few that have temperature limits.

INPA usually indicates the required conditions. Not sure about Insta D, just never use it. It's too slow for me. INPA does what I like, fast and specific.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
8303otte
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
the dme doesn't "talk" to injectors.

they are analog devices.

and you need to determine if your issue is fueling or ignition.
swap parts from suspected bad cylinders to other ones and see if the problem follows the part.

I'm willing to bet the injectors are probably fine.

check the wiring closely though, I replaced an injector for an intermittent connector issue.
injector was fine. connector sucked.
thank. i intend to pull the coils tomorrow and have a look at the plugs, hopefully that will show me the issue.

What would the injectors not turning off when requested on insta lead me towards?
Appreciate 0