E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 Secondary Air Pump Delete?

04-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
N51 Secondary Air Pump Delete?

Just did a quick search and I was surprised to not find anything. Granted, most of us are N52 which does not have the pump.

Has anyone seen this done? To you guys who know a lot about coding these cars and the ECU, would 'coding' be able to get rid of the inevitable CEL resulting from the pump being gone, or is that something that would have to be included as an option with a 'tune'? I am guessing it's the latter, unfortunately. When I deleted this ish off an older car of mine, I simply used resistors on the pump's harness to fool the car; however it appears that our ECU might actually look at the O2 sensors while 'testing' the pump to make sure air is indeed being injected. If the latter is necessary, any info on this from AA or BPC? Finally, does anyone know of a block-off plate offered? Think this one might work? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11121438086/ I'm not sure how similar the N51 opening is compared to the older motors.

Info on how SAP's generally work for those interested: http://www.pierburg-service.de/ximag...106_en_web.pdf

I'm looking into this because I enjoy messing with things, would like a cleaner engine bay, and losing the weight can't hurt. The endless pursuit of an N52... lol

TIA!
-aM
      04-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

you can't "code" the DME.

I think you could probably flash it with a 328i based tune, which doesn't have the SAP. Not sure what other emissions monitors it would be missing.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to dissect it..

So one can 'code' our other computer modules because they are designed to work that way (so that different cars with different options can have the same module and software, while having different options set). That said, 'coding' is really just modifying a file with different parameters and then 'flashing' that file to the module, correct? I am guessing that the DME(ECU)'s software doesn't need to have 'options' built into it because every N52 328i in North America is the same, so they all have the EXACT same file flashed? And therefore BMW didn't set it up to easily change things within that software file as they did with the other modules? Makes sense. So that would mean the only option available is to have essentially a software/computer engineer tear into the code of the DME's software and change parameters the hard way, as they do with 'tunes' from BPC/AA? But are you saying that, while BPC can modify some parameters to make the car perform better, they are unable to change parameters involving the SAP, etc?

As far as flashing it with another 328i based tune (N52/N53), I don't see how. Wouldn't the tune need to be designed for the N51 and thus it would be looking for the SAP? Or are you saying flash it with a modified file from a tuner such as BPC/AA? I am under the impression that I can't flash my DME with the 330i file, for example, because the N51 motor is too different (apparently a different head, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

No, coding is selecting an option that's already flashed inside the computer. You're not actually "flashing" the module - just telling the module to choose one value or another.

Technically, the DMEs are coded but that is locked after 10 hours, and is limited to a few things related to each chassis.

The N51 has it's own unique program but it's pretty much identical to the N52 (MSV80.1/MSV80). An "N52" file that you could flash doesn't exist, but it wouldn't be that hard to make one. Anyway, you'd only really need to make the changes related to SAP, not the whole calibration.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Bob at Stage said that he could tune for it if i got the block off plate from the N52. benefits ?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmoser View Post
Bob at Stage said that he could tune for it if i got the block off plate from the N52. benefits ?
You remove something useless. I want to do this too.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
parts ordered from FCP. now i just have to wait . i emailed bob from an updated tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #8
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmoser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
parts ordered from FCP. now i just have to wait . i emailed bob from an updated tune.
Did you ever do it? I'm working on installing mini-cats to fix the CEL so I can get it smogged.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
MattF407
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mineral Grey 128i

FYI, I removed the SAP and installed block off plate 2+ years ago. Initial code for me was 2A00. I removed the fuse associated with it and had Bob code it out back when he was at BPC. I was still throwing 2A00 codes after this because the relay upstream was still in place. I removed the relay and then I started throwing 2A03 but 2A00 is gone now. I have yet to get a new tune from SFP, though based on wiring diagrams this should do the trick. Make sure you get both coded out and remove the fuse and relay.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
There is really no advantage to removing it. It runs for a few seconds on a cold start, and weighs about 2 lbs.

If you have the SULEV warranty, removing it might impact that.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #11
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Reviving this thread as this air pump is in the way of my oil cooler lines. Im not concerned with the CEL light so if i unplug and remove this pump, will it have an adverse effect on performance or am I just dealing with a CEL? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #12
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
To he honest, i can deal with it on the car, id just like to get rid of the part with the large hose at the top. If i disconnect just that hose, any idea what will happen?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 08:22 PM   #13
Diyengineer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan, 2005 X5 4.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
To he honest, i can deal with it on the car, id just like to get rid of the part with the large hose at the top. If i disconnect just that hose, any idea what will happen?
Hello,

I installed the block off plate and removed the air pump all together. Waiting to scan for codes, but might end up just leaving the blower installed but not connecting to remove one code haha. Did you have any luck?
Appreciate 0