E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Visiting Chicago!

06-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #45
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
Seth u like to gobble footlong hotdogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
good point
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #46
floot_roops
181st Imperial Pilot
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335xi

The CityPass is worth it IF you're into seeing those places. If you're so-so on them, skip the pass and just pick one or two you're really interested in.

Skip the Sears Tower (or rather Willis Tower) skydeck. You get about the same view from the Hancock building. Don't pay for the observation deck there, either. Go to the signature lounge instead and have a drink and enjoy the view for free (the lounge is one floor below the observation deck and requires no admission fee).

Likewise, the Go card appears to have a large list, but most of it is relatively low-use... and I'm perplexed regarding "Navy Pier" being listed... there's no "admission" to go there. You just walk through it, like any "boardwalk" area.

You mentioned a beach. The North Ave beach is the only real beach where lots of people are. If you head further North (to Evanston-ish), there are nice, scenic lakefront areas, but that's quite a hike.

In terms of food, consider a quick bite at Portillo's. It's a local chain, and for some of us, just as important as, say, in-n-out is to californians. (it's burgers and hot dogs, and really good chocolate cake)

For pizza, others' comments regarding the original Pizzeria Uno (and the expansion across the way, Pizzeria Deux) are correct. I find it gets ridiculously busy though. I like Giordano's myself (Chicago area chain, though also in Florida, they're all over Chicagoland).

If you have an hour or two, consider one of the architectural river tours. It's a nice little trip up and down the river with cool facts regarding the various buildings. Chicago's a really good city if you're into architecture.

I also urge you to stay downtown and forgo the cost of commuting into the city and parking. Try and walk through Millenium Park as you meander through downtown. It's a nice area.

In terms of evening activities, including bars/nightlife, you'll have to let us know what type of places you're interested. Grab some local beer, just because it's the right thing to do in any city. (Chicago's native beer is Goose Island). We can certainly offer up bar/lounge/club suggestions if you let us know what you're looking for.

Let us know what you're looking for or if you have questions about anything, and we'll be happy to help!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #47
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floot_roops View Post
The CityPass is worth it IF you're into seeing those places. If you're so-so on them, skip the pass and just pick one or two you're really interested in.

Skip the Sears Tower (or rather Willis Tower) skydeck. You get about the same view from the Hancock building. Don't pay for the observation deck there, either. Go to the signature lounge instead and have a drink and enjoy the view for free (the lounge is one floor below the observation deck and requires no admission fee).

Likewise, the Go card appears to have a large list, but most of it is relatively low-use... and I'm perplexed regarding "Navy Pier" being listed... there's no "admission" to go there. You just walk through it, like any "boardwalk" area.

You mentioned a beach. The North Ave beach is the only real beach where lots of people are. If you head further North (to Evanston-ish), there are nice, scenic lakefront areas, but that's quite a hike.

In terms of food, consider a quick bite at Portillo's. It's a local chain, and for some of us, just as important as, say, in-n-out is to californians. (it's burgers and hot dogs, and really good chocolate cake)

For pizza, others' comments regarding the original Pizzeria Uno (and the expansion across the way, Pizzeria Deux) are correct. I find it gets ridiculously busy though. I like Giordano's myself (Chicago area chain, though also in Florida, they're all over Chicagoland).

If you have an hour or two, consider one of the architectural river tours. It's a nice little trip up and down the river with cool facts regarding the various buildings. Chicago's a really good city if you're into architecture.

I also urge you to stay downtown and forgo the cost of commuting into the city and parking. Try and walk through Millenium Park as you meander through downtown. It's a nice area.

In terms of evening activities, including bars/nightlife, you'll have to let us know what type of places you're interested. Grab some local beer, just because it's the right thing to do in any city. (Chicago's native beer is Goose Island). We can certainly offer up bar/lounge/club suggestions if you let us know what you're looking for.

Let us know what you're looking for or if you have questions about anything, and we'll be happy to help!
Wow! Awesome list! Thanks a lot!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #48
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Jesus. I'll take your advice when I wanna see the city and I've lived here all my life. Ha
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #49
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
Lost me at Portillo's.
      06-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #50
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I recommend the chocolate milkshake at the Weiner Circle
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #51
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
not as effective without the use of smileys
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #52
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I recommend the chocolate milkshake at the Weiner Circle
you want that with a side of some big black cunt in your face?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #53
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #54
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jesus. I'll take your advice when I wanna see the city and I've lived here all my life. Ha
Quote:
Lost me at Portillo's.
Now, i'm confused. Were floot_roops suggestions good or not? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #55
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
I think that they were good and Los was being serious with his comment not sarcastic.

Here's the thing though...people come on here all the time with the same question you asked....like its Tulsa or something where there is just a short list. There is soooo much and it is soooo subjective.

For example, no offense to froot_loops but I think Portillo's is for posers. Its a homogenized chain. Is it good, sure, but so is McDonald's. What is good there? Beefs? I'd rather go to Al's, Johnny's, Mr. Beef, Big Jack's. Dogs? Byron's, Hot Doug's, Poochie's, Costco (yes, Costco's dogs got rated top 5 - look it up). Fries are meh.

So for me, the minute anyone mentions Portillo's I immediately dismiss their taste. But that's me.

There are more beaches than North Ave., but that is the best one.

How about this...how long are you staying? Weekend or weeknight?
      06-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #56
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that they were good and Los was being serious with his comment not sarcastic.

Here's the thing though...people come on here all the time with the same question you asked....like its Tulsa or something where there is just a short list. There is soooo much and it is soooo subjective.

For example, no offense to froot_loops but I think Portillo's is for posers. Its a homogenized chain. Is it good, sure, but so is McDonald's. What is good there? Beefs? I'd rather go to Al's, Johnny's, Mr. Beef, Big Jack's. Dogs? Byron's, Hot Doug's, Poochie's, Costco (yes, Costco's dogs got rated top 5 - look it up). Fries are meh.

So for me, the minute anyone mentions Portillo's I immediately dismiss their taste. But that's me.

There are more beaches than North Ave., but that is the best one.

How about this...how long are you staying? Weekend or weeknight?
Thanks for clearing that up, I totally get you. Yeah, coming from the NY area, I definitely understand that there are tons to see and do there. Being that its my first time, I really obviously want to see the main tourist attractions, and also be able to mix in a couple of local favorites that you guys (the locals) like to do, eat, and see.
I'm going to be there from a thurs-tues.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #57
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
so when are you coming again? there is a bunch of stuff but dont want to list if you wont be around lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #58
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^^That reminds me. I've got to attend more street/neighborhood festivals this summer
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #59
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
Now, i'm confused. Were floot_roops suggestions good or not? lol
truth be told i didnt read past the first paragraph. (im fat and lazy). just the extent and thoroughness of his suggestions made me .i really cant comment on if it was good or not and wasnt trying to be negative. pretty much u can walk up and down Michigan ave and call it a day. anything in the city will be a good time if you've never been out here. for me the city is a PITA. all i see is congestion and expensive everything. guess im jaded.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #60
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
truth be told i didnt read past the first paragraph. (im fat and lazy). just the extent and thoroughness of his suggestions made me .i really cant comment on if it was good or not and wasnt trying to be negative. pretty much u can walk up and down Michigan ave and call it a day. anything in the city will be a good time if you've never been out here. for me the city is a PITA. all i see is congestion and expensive everything. guess im jaded.
It's a great place to visit...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #61
floot_roops
181st Imperial Pilot
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335xi

I understand what AFV335i's comment, but take it with a grain of salt. Dismissing entirely a person's entire range/breadth of taste based on a "litmus test" like that is something they're certainly entitled to, but maybe a little hasty... It's a homogenized chain, yes. It became a chain because it was popular enough to do so, and it's a local chain, so something you won't get everywhere. That's why I compared it to In-n-Out in Cali. Homogenized chain, but a Cali institution. And I'm sure some people won't like it. Five Guys became enormously popular on the East Coast and has spread all over now, but I personally don't like their burgers, though some of friends still think it's the best place (incidentally, if you do like burgers, someone else mentioned Kuma's. that should fit the bill as a very unique place with good food)

(I'm not being sensitive or anything, and I know AFV was only giving an opinion, just giving it from a different point of view... After all, there are tons of things in Chicago that are "touristy" and I wouldn't even bother with as a native, but if you're visiting, well, you ARE a tourist, and sometimes ppl like to do that stuff. I know I do when visiting other cities.)

You'll have an enjoyable time here. I've been living downtown for 5 years and still love it every time I walk outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #62
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #63
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

one last Anyone have anything to add?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #64
TunasBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: e92xi

Bump on Kumas, can't go wrong with Three Floyds alpha king on tap with your burger. If you want good Italian, go to Piccolo Sogno.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #65
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
Just spent the weekend downtown. Stayed at the Drake. Walked to the beach (2 blocks)....walked like a mile to Navy Pier. Wifey and I sat around and drank people watching and watching the watercraft. Navy Pier is basically a huge beer garden in the summer. Alot going on there. Went to Nacionale 27 for dinner. Drinks were good, food was OK. Went to Epic. Back to the Drake. Woke up and ran along the beach and then had breakfast at the Palace on Madison. Good stuff.

Called Mark....Mark refused to bring me advil for my hangover.

I highly recommend going to Navy Pier. Our friends from Calgary who we met up with highly recommend taking the trolley around downtown. You can choose which sights you go see on your own schedule at a reasonable price.
      07-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #66
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Just spent the weekend downtown. Stayed at the Drake. Walked to the beach (2 blocks)....walked like a mile to Navy Pier. Wifey and I sat around and drank people watching and watching the watercraft. Navy Pier is basically a huge beer garden in the summer. Alot going on there. Went to Nacionale 27 for dinner. Drinks were good, food was OK. Went to Epic. Back to the Drake. Woke up and ran along the beach and then had breakfast at the Palace on Madison. Good stuff.

Called Mark....Mark refused to bring me advil for my hangover.

I highly recommend going to Navy Pier. Our friends from Calgary who we met up with highly recommend taking the trolley around downtown. You can choose which sights you go see on your own schedule at a reasonable price.

YOU ass.. You called me at like 9, I was STILL drunk! haha

Honestly, I think Navy Pier is over rated, its a good time once in awhile but there are some many more hidden gems in Chicago that are worth seeing. Let me know when you come down we should have a CHITOWN go to the clubs thing haha

if you have a chance I highly recommend Kumas, and if your in the UIC neighborhood try my friends restaurant One.Six very good food and if you give me advanced notice I can get you a very nice discount as well

Oh yeah if your in the Evanston area go to Buffalo Joes Best wings in the City!
Appreciate 0