E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Roof Rack for E90

11-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Roof Rack for E90

Hey guys, pulling a copy/paste from the M3 forum since I'm getting zero response on M3 Post. Figured I'd reach out and see if anyone puts roof racks on their E90s!

I'm considering picking up a roof rack for my E90 and possibly a cargo carrier so I'll have a place to stash items I don't want in the car/trunk and for long trips that need space for luggage and crap that we tend to pick up along the way. I especially like how easy it appears to install and dismount the rack assembly from what I've read. Would be nice to have some track junk that I don't want to dirty up the trunk in the carrier and then take the 30 minutes to take it off and rip up some cones and gators for the weekend and reverse to come back home. Or carrier aside, just have the rack to put a track set of wheels on the roof to swap out at the track.

Is the best option to go with an OEM rack and use Thule or Yakima accessories? Or should I go with Thule/Yakima everything? The results I have found are pretty dated, and while OEM was the best back then for wind noise and functionality, I'm wondering if currently there is a better solution. OEM stuff is half the price of aftermarket it seems and I can't see why. What I've found from nearly seven years ago:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=roof+rack

Wants:
  • Low wind noise
  • Ease to install and remove
  • Ability to install different accessories for a bicycle, kayak, etc.
  • Ability to transport an extra set of wheels/tires (I realize this is a stretch; I'll design something up that can span between the two bars if that's the case)
  • Something that will accept a slim-ish cargo carrier. I like Thule's design.

The last three will probably be a given for any rack. So I think the winner will be the one with the least amount of wind noise, high quality, ease of install, and good price. What's a good grab for an E90?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
The oval (aero) ones are much better for wind noise than the square ones. You can add the fairing if it bothers you still

I believe most mount pretty similarly to the threaded sections at each corner of the roof.

Other than that most are fairly similar in mounting. Its just a matter of quality and price.

For what you mount to them there is a whole variety of attachments. the more streamlined the less the noise(obviously)
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 x drive msport

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
I use a OEM rack on the my e90 and it's good quality as well as really quiet!
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
moopdoop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

I picked up a Thule Aeroblade roof rack and Thule Sonic M carrier. Used them on a road trip to Yellowstone and back over the summer and I don't have any complaints. Wind noise wasn't anything overly noticeable when doing 90ish on the Montana/Wyoming highways.

The Thule boxes have a nice attachment system that's really easy to attach/remove. The alpine boxes are slimmer/longer, but that can limit the types of things you can fit in the box so I went with the standard shape.

The crossbars are a pretty simple 5/10 minute job to install or remove with a hex key and small wrench.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdoop View Post
I picked up a Thule Aeroblade roof rack and Thule Sonic M carrier. Used them on a road trip to Yellowstone and back over the summer and I don't have any complaints. Wind noise wasn't anything overly noticeable when doing 90ish on the Montana/Wyoming highways.

The Thule boxes have a nice attachment system that's really easy to attach/remove. The alpine boxes are slimmer/longer, but that can limit the types of things you can fit in the box so I went with the standard shape.

The crossbars are a pretty simple 5/10 minute job to install or remove with a hex key and small wrench.
I keep finding myself gravitating to Thule for some reason. Is there any reason to not go this route and pick someone else?

Did you grab the wind fairing as well? Any MPG drop with the rack and/or carrier?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
phantasticphan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 Touring, e92 M3

BMW bars are just as good as Thule Aeroblades and theres no windnoise coming from mine. Just make sure you when you buy the thule/yakima rack its aeroblade compatible, its a better fit
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I use the Thule Wingbars.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
moopdoop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I keep finding myself gravitating to Thule for some reason. Is there any reason to not go this route and pick someone else?

Did you grab the wind fairing as well? Any MPG drop with the rack and/or carrier?
I didn't get a fairing and I haven't had any complaints/issues that would lead me to pick one up now.

There might be ~5% MPG drop with the bars on, though I haven't noticed enough to run the numbers on it. The carrier was a 10-20% MPG drop at highway speeds, nothing I'd be really concerned with. I was doing 24-27 MPG with the roof carrier at 80-90mph.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdoop View Post
I didn't get a fairing and I haven't had any complaints/issues that would lead me to pick one up now.

There might be ~5% MPG drop with the bars on, though I haven't noticed enough to run the numbers on it. The carrier was a 10-20% MPG drop at highway speeds, nothing I'd be really concerned with. I was doing 24-27 MPG with the roof carrier at 80-90mph.
Yeah... I'm lucky if I get half of that MPG with nothing on my roof
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

You will definitely see a drop in MPGs but it's worth it if you're carrying a lot of gear. I'm a cyclist and load 3-4 bikes on the roof. The OEM roof racks are the cheapest and best fitting.
Check out Rocky Mounts if you look into carrying bikes. There clean looking and have hidden bolts etc.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 12-05-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:56 AM   #11
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
With bars and box, full boot, i'm using 25% more fuel on the motorway @ 80mph.
Appreciate 1