E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > (Rambling) Question:Why a new engine (N54) and how will it affect 3 Series pricing?

02-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
zz25
Private
Rep
Drives: '04 Landcruiser

(Rambling) Question:Why a new engine (N54) and how will it affect 3 Series pricing?

I've been avidly following the 335i threads over the last few months as a buildup to ordering my 3 Series later this year. I know much of this is a re-hash of previous discussions so bear with me....one thing I can't figure out.......why the 335i? The new e90 has won pretty much every well-known automotive magazine comparison since its release last spring. Although it is clearly behind two direct competitors, the Infinity G35 and Lexus IS 350, in the horsepower war, it has still come out on top. Additionally, when talking about an attractively optioned 330i, there is more value in some of the competition if you are not a die-hard enthusiast or badge-hunter willing to pay the premium. Taking this into account, I'm thinking that the 335i is coming out for one of two reasons:

1. BMW feels it is losing the HP war (read: marketing) in the USA and feels it is losing sales to its direct competitors (Audi A4, Infinity G35, Lexus IS 350, etc). The main problem I see with this is that it appears that sales of the e90 are doing extremely well. Of course, it is possible that they expected/were aiming for a lot better. If this is the case, I would think that from a marketing standpoint, you have to go with the 328/335 option we have been discussing for months with only small price increases over the 325/330. The majority of car shoppers have a budget and then look at the type of car they want (i.e. luxury sedan) within their price range. As has been noted many times, we on this board are not your average automotive consumer!

2. Second option is that the 335i is added to the current 325/330 model line with a significant price increase. The only way I see this working is that BMW NA, through detailed marketing research, has determined that there is a niche for a car where the former M3 used to sit, and another niche quite a bit higher for the upcoming M3. I find this hard to believe b/c while the M3 is a specialty-type sports car targeting a limited audience (enthusiasts with large amounts of disposable income), the 335i will not have the same cache.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
thunderbirdsarego
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz25
I've been avidly following the 335i threads over the last few months as a buildup to ordering my 3 Series later this year. I know much of this is a re-hash of previous discussions so bear with me....one thing I can't figure out.......why the 335i? The new e90 has won pretty much every well-known automotive magazine comparison since its release last spring. Although it is clearly behind two direct competitors, the Infinity G35 and Lexus IS 350, in the horsepower war, it has still come out on top. Additionally, when talking about an attractively optioned 330i, there is more value in some of the competition if you are not a die-hard enthusiast or badge-hunter willing to pay the premium. Taking this into account, I'm thinking that the 335i is coming out for one of two reasons:

1. BMW feels it is losing the HP war (read: marketing) in the USA and feels it is losing sales to its direct competitors (Audi A4, Infinity G35, Lexus IS 350, etc). The main problem I see with this is that it appears that sales of the e90 are doing extremely well. Of course, it is possible that they expected/were aiming for a lot better. If this is the case, I would think that from a marketing standpoint, you have to go with the 328/335 option we have been discussing for months with only small price increases over the 325/330. The majority of car shoppers have a budget and then look at the type of car they want (i.e. luxury sedan) within their price range. As has been noted many times, we on this board are not your average automotive consumer!

2. Second option is that the 335i is added to the current 325/330 model line with a significant price increase. The only way I see this working is that BMW NA, through detailed marketing research, has determined that there is a niche for a car where the former M3 used to sit, and another niche quite a bit higher for the upcoming M3. I find this hard to believe b/c while the M3 is a specialty-type sports car targeting a limited audience (enthusiasts with large amounts of disposable income), the 335i will not have the same cache.
Yes, the twenty million dollar question indeed!

One thing to note is that Audi (with smaller US sales than BMW) seem to have determined that the market can bear an almost identical line-up to a 3-series with both a 335 and M3.

Audi A4 2.0T - BMW 325i
Audi A4 3.2 - BMW 330i
Audi S4 - BMW 335i@306hp -and/or- 335si@330+hp
Audi RS4 - BMW M3

Also interesting is that BMW seem to be adding more modern manufacturing facilities better able to support just in time manufacturing. One of the goals here might be to support additional models. Having said that Europe has many more versions than North America so the lack of variety here is more likely a marketing decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

335i is neded because of the HUGE power gap there will be between the 330i and the E90 M3. ( its still a pretty big gap from 335i to the new V8 M3 )

In europe the 335i slots in above the 330i, with the 330i still being kept.

What the USA will do nobody knows yet
      02-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote of the day

E90Fleet: "What the USA will do nobody knows yet"
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
zz25
Private
Rep
Drives: '04 Landcruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdsarego
Yes, the twenty million dollar question indeed!

One thing to note is that Audi (with smaller US sales than BMW) seem to have determined that the market can bear an almost identical line-up to a 3-series with both a 335 and M3.

Audi A4 2.0T - BMW 325i
Audi A4 3.2 - BMW 330i
Audi S4 - BMW 335i@306hp -and/or- 335si@330+hp
Audi RS4 - BMW M3
That is a good point about the S4 and RS4 from Audi. If they are going head-to-head with Audi, then it appears the 335i will be significantly more expensive than the 330i with the M3 moving onto a different planet price-wise. I think this is a huge mistake, b/c it totally ignores the Infiniti G35 and Lexus IS350. I doubt Audi plans to keep the RS4 as a permanent slot in their line-up. I can't see it being around for more than a 2 or 3 year run with an entry-level price in 911 territory.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
If they are going head-to-head with Audi, then it appears the 335i will be significantly more expensive than the 330i with the M3 moving onto a different planet price-wise.
So far a 335 has more than just an 'appearance' of being significantly more expensive.
Although U.S. pricing hasn't been announced, I believe our South African friends on this board have already
been told that it will be MUCH more than the 330.

Think about it: 2 turbos, intercooler, Direct Injection design. Then BMW has to go in and rework a bit of the chassis to accomodate for this extra power and to still allow it to be a well-balanced 3 Series. I see a three grand premium above the 330 at least, and who knows about standard equipment vs options.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
That is a good point about the S4 and RS4 from Audi. If they are going head-to-head with Audi, then it appears the 335i will be significantly more expensive than the 330i with the M3 moving onto a different planet price-wise. I think this is a huge mistake, b/c it totally ignores the Infiniti G35 and Lexus IS350. I doubt Audi plans to keep the RS4 as a permanent slot in their line-up. I can't see it being around for more than a 2 or 3 year run with an entry-level price in 911 territory.

yeah i think Infiniti has more the popular scene than Audi in NA. Audi got the specs but Nissan's 'in'.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Quote of the day

E90Fleet: "What the USA will do nobody knows yet"
True. Still in discussion.
Appreciate 0