E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > CalWaterboy's EXCELLENT New Year - E93 Suspension DIY

07-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #89
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I needed to come back and let you all know i finished the M3 conversion quite similar to the OP of this thread. I did buy the same kit as him except without the rear lower camber links. I had purchased those separately. I went with near same ride height as sport suspension but about 1/4" higher in front and ~3/16" higher in rear. I used Bimmerworld adjustable toe links. I spoke with Donovan at GC and even spoke with Jay on the ride height adjustment. First iteration came out way low on the rear and a little high on the front.

For ride height adjustment, it learned the following drill. After driving car, bring back into level parking area. Measure ride height from fender opening top to BOTTOM of rim. place car on jacks, remove wheels, adjust the springs. Keep in mind the motion ratio on the springs in rear is the following: One spin of the ring induces 1/8" change height at spring but 1/4" at the hub. Reason: the spring is about 1/2 way down the length of the control arm to the hub. I waaay over adjusted the first time and then the rear was too high. I moved spring by 3/4" up and the rear ride height went from .750" too low to ~0.750" too high. I learned my lesson after better understanding the kinematics of the spring location within the lower control arm.

The front ride height is more straight forward. One spin of the adjuster is same 1/8" both for spring and hub. One thing that i found counter intuitive is this. Turning the adjuster to where the spring is more compressed raises the ride height. the adjuster is on top of the spring in the rear and below it in the front. So, the adjuster is turned downward to compress in the rear to raise it. Vice versa in the front: the adjuster is turned upward to compress the spring to raise it. I'm likely the outcast here in coilover circles. I wanted to maintain (or slightly elevate) instead of going down 3/4" like most here.

But at the end of the day (er 3 weeks), i no longer scrape the m-sport's front bumper chin on the street to driveway transition. I can now go get that m-sport nose fixed or switch to M3 replica bumper (har-har). Since i didn't alter ride height very much, i was able to stick with the 335D end links on the M3 sway bars.

Wowser, my suspension is uber tight and the damn springs are really stiff. I went with numbers quite close to Cal's (440 #/in front and 550 #/in rear). Donovan at GC recommended these values.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #90
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I think 440f and 550r doesn't match the intended factory ride frequency.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #91
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I think 440f and 550r doesn't match the intended factory ride frequency.

Stock shocks, no.

Matched to springs, the Yellows work very well.
Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
BB_cuda759.00
      11-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #92
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Cal, needed to check something. How many turns did you go from full stiff setting, Front and Rear, please.

I recall GC had me go 1.5 turns from full firm on front and 1 turn on rear. I haven't changed it up any but still seems damn stiff. I guess I need to call GC back.

I realize you are heavier in rear than my E90 is. Thanks.
EDIT way after the fact (12-15-20):
I have a note on paper work which reads:
Front is 1 full turn from full firm and Rear is 3/4 turn from full firm. This is the starting off spot before any more desired softening is dialed in. I'm still running these settings 3-1/2 years later.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 12-15-2020 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #93
dreptroman
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

Hello Guys. Did the back suspension of the E93 and of course have found the headlight are not working anymore adjustment-wise.

Can you please explain what are the actual parts I need to order from the M3 in order to get it working?

I have the 4 aluminum arms in place, but I am not sure what the mechanic did with the 335i brackets and leveling mechanism.

I DID NOT USE THE M3 Camber Link 33322283885, as I already had Koni Yellows shocks.

IS THIS M3 headlight leveling retrofit procedure applicable to me?

It seems not if I do not have the M3 Camber links.

Or do Do I just need the original 335i parts to which I add the extension described/pictured in the thread which I can fabricate? Is this needed if I only changed the 4 wishbones and guide rods?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited by dreptroman; 02-20-2020 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #94
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreptroman View Post
Hello Guys. Did the back suspension of the E93 and of course have found the headlight are not working anymore adjustment-wise.

Can you please explain what are the actual parts I need to order from the M3 in order to get it working?

I have the 4 aluminum arms in place, but I am not sure what the mechanic did with the 335i brackets and leveling mechanism.

I DID NOT USE THE M3 Camber Link 33322283885, as I already had Koni Yellows shocks.

IS THIS M3 headlight leveling retrofit procedure applicable to me?

It seems not if I do not have the M3 Camber links.

Or do Do I just need the original 335i parts to which I add the extension described/pictured in the thread which I can fabricate? Is this needed if I only changed the 4 wishbones and guide rods?
Thank you in advance!
You should retain the same parts since you have the same steel lower camber arms. The mechanic should have left that all be. You should be able to go to junk yard and get these off the driver's side steel camber arm.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 03-05-2020 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0