E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > B+ cable question

09-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
OvergrownTony
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 330i

B+ cable question

Hey guys, I've had my 2006 330i e90 for quite some time.
I am having an electrical issue which I narrowed down the B+ cable that leads to the fuse box.
Symptoms:
- loss of all electrical power
-key was stuck in ignition
When I lightly smack the fuse box I get power back.

It seems that my car has a different fuse box compared to other cars posted. (Picture attached)

The positive cable on my car is located at the front right side of the fuse box. So the B+ repair cable # 61 12 9 312 133 is not compatible with my fuse box. (Plugs in the back side of other fuse box)

Was the fuse box updated?
Would I have to retrofit the newer style fuse box in order to fix the issue? Or is there a different cable I could not find lol

I was hoping if anyone that experienced/DIY'd this could chime in. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by OvergrownTony; 09-17-2019 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There was a recall for this for about every year but 06 .
But that doesn't mean the 06 doesn't have it .
They originally replaced the whole cable on the recall now
they make a splice kit for it.

https://www.google.com/search?client...r+cable+recall

Too replace the whole thing

https://bmw.oemdtc.com/360/recall-19...2-bmw-3-series

Last edited by ctuna; 09-17-2019 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
OvergrownTony
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply ctuna.
Any idea if the pre-lci models had to retrofit the newer style fuse box? I actually purchased the repair cable from BMW a few days ago, but the parts department was literally no help haha
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
There were 3 versions of the fuse box.
The 2006 box is what you have.
From 03/2007, they completely replaced the box moving all the fuses around *but kept the fuse numbering from 2006* so everything was completely out of order. Ridiculously confusing (i have this one)

Starting in 09/2007, they renumbered the box to be sequential again. Finally.

But that doesn't really help you.

Here's the B+ cables for the 2006:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2567

Most appear to no longer be available.

Is the only symptom that points to that battery cable that you need to smack the fuse box?
Which is to say, are you sure it is the B+ feed to the box, or could it be something else about the box?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
I ask, because the 07+ box had a slide-in cable that developed a poor connection, hence the replacement. the 06 box if i remember right the cable is bolted to the board.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
OvergrownTony
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I ask, because the 07+ box had a slide-in cable that developed a poor connection, hence the replacement. the 06 box if i remember right the cable is bolted to the board.
Yeah my cable is bolted on to the fuse box. I believe the issue is either the cable or fuse box. I've tested my battery. I am going to get it inspected by my independent shop to confirm. Electrical issues aren't something I enjoy dealing with lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvergrownTony View Post
...I am going to get it inspected by my independent shop to confirm. Electrical issues aren't something I enjoy dealing with lol.
NOT to be a Wise-Ass, but your issue MAY be "mechanical" as opposed to "electrical" or "electronic." As has been noted, there is frequently an issue with the Power Supply (B+) Cable that runs from the Battery Power Distribution Panel to the JB (Junction Box or Fuse Box), and that is consistent with what you describe. Of course, there COULD be a fault (something loose) inside the JB from where the cable attaches, and the cable itself is OK.

If you just disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal, then the "electrical issue" becomes a simple, mechanical issue: continuity of the power supply cable between the Power Distribution Panel at the Battery, to the JB. Of course you may need to test "continuity" electrically with a multimeter, but that is with the battery disconnected

Here is a Post (or two ;-) on Bimmerfest which has diagrams & photos of the pertinent components, and suggestions on how to test when all in the car "goes dark":
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...15&postcount=9
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...43&postcount=6

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
OvergrownTony
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvergrownTony View Post
...I am going to get it inspected by my independent shop to confirm. [COLOR="Red"]Electrical issues aren't something I enjoy dealing with lol.[/COLOR]
NOT to be a Wise-Ass, but your issue MAY be "mechanical" as opposed to "electrical" or "electronic." As has been noted, there is frequently an issue with the Power Supply (B+) Cable that runs from the Battery Power Distribution Panel to the JB (Junction Box or Fuse Box), and that is consistent with what you describe. Of course, there COULD be a fault (something loose) inside the JB from where the cable attaches, and the cable itself is OK.

If you just disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal, then the "electrical issue" becomes a simple, mechanical issue: continuity of the power supply cable between the Power Distribution Panel at the Battery, to the JB. Of course you may need to test "continuity" electrically with a multimeter, but that is with the battery disconnected

Here is a Post (or two ;-) on Bimmerfest which has diagrams & photos of the pertinent components, and suggestions on how to test when all in the car "goes dark":
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=9
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=6

Please let us know what you find,
George
Definitely not mechanical, I'll keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
My thoughts are a bad connection on the JBE... Either the JBE module isn't seated fully into the fuse box or has a bad connection, or the b+ to fuse box connection isn't secure, or the b+ wire into the lug with the ring for that bolt wasn't properly crimped... Or the fuse box circuit board itself is damaged.
Pretty much all of these are a combination of electrical, electronic, and mechanical
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
It could also just be a bad/stuck relay.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #11
OvergrownTony
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update: issue is now fixed. Battery cable was repaired and fuse box was replaced with a used one. Thanks for the help everyone.
Appreciate 0