E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Where can i find LL-01 5W-30 in Canada?

10-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #23
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Rotella T6 5w40 is another oil you should check out.
      01-11-2022, 12:42 AM   #24
falwakeel
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 323i

Hi

Has anyone tried the MotoMaster 5W40 Synthetic Engine Oil. It is bmw ll-01

It is available at Canadian Tire

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...r_psugg_q=5w40
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:26 AM   #25
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by falwakeel View Post
Hi

Has anyone tried the MotoMaster 5W40 Synthetic Engine Oil. It is bmw ll-01

It is available at Canadian Tire

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...r_psugg_q=5w40
It meets LL-01 specs but it is not approved.

Let’s be clear about that.

Try it out. Probably won’t cause any harm.
You can get Liqui Moly long life for $52.50

Or you could buy 4x5L from Germanparts.ca for $200
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:50 PM   #26
falwakeel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

Yes u r right, it is not approved by bmw. This goes on sale for $22.29. I will give it a try and update you guys. Thanks
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      01-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #27
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, 330i, 335xi, 6MT sport

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
I've used the motomaster synthetic in many cars with nothing but perfectly fine results.

For the BMW's I stock up on a brand name LL-01 when they go on sale, usually in the $25-$28 per jug range at CT.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

I think it's approval since I noticed my Pennzoil bottle is worded the same. It's when it says "recommended for use" that it's not officially approved but the manufacturer still thinks it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #29
falwakeel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.B View Post
I've used the motomaster synthetic in many cars with nothing but perfectly fine results.

For the BMW's I stock up on a brand name LL-01 when they go on sale, usually in the $25-$28 per jug range at CT.
Sounds great. I just bought four jugs Motomaster 5w40 were on sale xmas time for $22.29 each, total came to $105 with tax. Can’t wait to try it on my e90

Thanks 🙏🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #30
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I think it's approval since I noticed my Pennzoil bottle is worded the same. It's when it says "recommended for use" that it's not officially approved but the manufacturer still thinks it's fine.
I don't want to get into the detail here, as you can look that up on google.
But in order for oil to be approved by car manufacturer, it has to under go testing by car manufacturer. Once it passes the required specifications and testing, there is a license and certification issued to the lubricant manufacturer. This has to be paid for and maintained by the lubricant manufacturer.

“These specifications are made available to oil blenders, who can then formulate products that meet the criteria. If an oil has been formulated in line with the OEM specification, it is described as “meets specification”.

“An oil is OEM approved if it has been submitted to the vehicle manufacturer for testing, and they have confirmed that it meets specification.”

So unless Motomaster submitted this oil to bmw for approval, and passed their testing and standards, they are not approved. Its a money game in the end, and a lot of big oil manufacturer just don't want to pay for that approval sticker.

As long as it meets the specs you are good to go.

Name:  oil.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  38.4 KB

Last edited by Wolf 335; 01-15-2022 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:28 PM   #31
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
But in order for oil to be approved by car manufacturer, it has to under go testing by car manufacturer. Once it passes the required specifications and testing, there is a license and certification issued to the lubricant manufacturer. This has to be paid for and maintained by the lubricant manufacturer.

“These specifications are made available to oil blenders, who can then formulate products that meet the criteria. If an oil has been formulated in line with the OEM specification, it is described as “meets specification”.

“An oil is OEM approved if it has been submitted to the vehicle manufacturer for testing, and they have confirmed that it meets specification.”

So unless Motomaster submitted this oil to bmw for approval, and passed their testing and standards, they are not approved. Its a money game in the end, and a lot of big oil manufacturer just don't want to pay for that approval sticker.

Attachment 2789249
The Mercedes specification approvals are interesting. They're not supposed to list "MB-Approval XXX" unless it has actually been approved by Merc (you usually see "MB-XXX" otherwise). No Motomaster oils show up on the Mercedes list, although it was last updated in November 2021. It's possible that the Motomaster oils are relabelled Shell oils which have the approval. Pennzoil Euro and Quaker State Euro oils are relabelled Shell Helix Ultra oils, but they are still listed separately on Merc's list.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoo.../229.3_en.html
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoo.../229.5_en.html

Splitting hairs at this point though. Buy with confidence if the oil meets Merc 229.5 as it seems to be very similar to LL01.

Oil specification relative comparison: https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html#
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #32
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fieri View Post
No Motomaster oils show up on the Mercedes list, although it was last updated in November 2021. It's possible that the Motomaster oils are relabelled Shell oils which have the approval. Pennzoil Euro and Quaker State Euro oils are relabelled Shell Helix Ultra oils
You'd think that Pennzoil would have developed their own oils rather than rebranding a Shell oil. As for MotoMaster, it is obvious rebranding. The wording from the Shell/Pennzoil websites seems to confirm the 3-level rebranding theory:

"Shell came up with an entirely new way to produce synthetic base oils, made from natural gas with our patented Shell PurePlus Technology."

"Pennzoil Platinum® Euro is made from natural gas ... Pennzoil Platinum® Euro Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology."

So, Motomaster Synthetic 5w30/5w40 = Pennzoil Platinum Euro = Shell Helix Ultra 5w30/5w40. Wow, who would have thought. I'm switching to Motomaster Synthetic 5w30/5w40.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 06:41 PM   #33
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Important to note that it's the Motomaster OEPlus European oils that are most likely relabelled Shell Helix. A great deal when on sale if you can't wait for the Pennzoil sale and $10/5L rebate
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:24 PM   #34
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 2789249
For sure, that's what I had in mind regarding the approval process and from what I read around, like bob is the oil guy a lot of good stuff there. To clarify in my sentence by manufacturer I was referring to the oil seller company when they haven't paid for the approval and all that. For example a lot of LiquyMoly aren't approved/meet the spec but are "recommended" in those applications, meaning no approvals like you say.

In this case though, I also agree if it was MotoMaster on their own, they wouldn't get the approval. But as you see from the bottle they are helped/formulated with Shell and considering the other only LL01 oil sold locally now, at least around me, is Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (what I use in my car btw) which is also a Shell company I really think this MotoMaster may actually be LL01 .

But yeah like above, splitting hairs and all haha agreed it's fine even if it's not. Was trying to dig up the tehcnical data sheet for the MotoMaster to compare for fun but can only find the safety sheet oh well
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      03-02-2022, 11:28 PM   #35
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
You'd think that Pennzoil would have developed their own oils rather than rebranding a Shell oil. As for MotoMaster, it is obvious rebranding. The wording from the Shell/Pennzoil websites seems to confirm the 3-level rebranding theory:

"Shell came up with an entirely new way to produce synthetic base oils, made from natural gas with our patented Shell PurePlus Technology."

"Pennzoil Platinum® Euro is made from natural gas ... Pennzoil Platinum® Euro Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology."

So, Motomaster Synthetic 5w30/5w40 = Pennzoil Platinum Euro = Shell Helix Ultra 5w30/5w40. Wow, who would have thought. I'm switching to Motomaster Synthetic 5w30/5w40.
I'd rather say the MotoMaster is a rebranding or at least a mixture/formulation of the Pennzoil's (Shell) natural gas stuff rather than both being based off the old stuff.

And yeah on the sale point, this is why I like local oil, usually Canadian Tire will roate through all the oil brands and make them like 30% to 60% off or something like that. ~ 30$ for 5L of Pennzoil for me.
Appreciate 0