E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > One adaptive headlight and one non-adaptive?

01-15-2022, 04:07 AM   #1
ItsMicko
Micko
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M-Sport, S15 Spec R

Exclamation One adaptive headlight and one non-adaptive?

Hi all,

My car is a 2008 E93 320i M-Sport Pre-LCI which is fitted with adaptive headlights.

Short version; is it possible to swap one of the headlights with a non-adaptive unit and to run this without any issues? Essentially my front right would be an adaptive headlight unit and my front left would be a non-adaptive unit.

I understand I would probably need to remove the adaptive headlight code. Is this correct? And if I did this, would they essentially both just work as normal non-adaptive headlights, or are there any other differences in how they function/cosmetic differences?

Couldn't find these answers anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Extra info: When I bought the car there was a bit of moisture in the front left headlight unit and the previous owner had drilled a small hole in the front of the headlight and a few in the plastic on top of the unit when you open the bonnet/hood. Worked ok for almost a year but there was always a bit of moisture in it, which looks bad as well. The bulb and ballast has now blown. If I just buy another bulb and ballast they'll probably just blow again soon so I think it's a better idea to buy a full new headlight, but the only ones I can find local to me are non-adaptive. I'm not sure if sealing up the holes on my current adaptive light would work, because the previous owner likely drilled these to let moisture out because moisture was/is probably getting in somewhere else, which would then be more work for me trying to re-seal it/find the leak etc...

If you have any ideas it would be very helpful. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

You can run with 1 non adaptive headlight.
You just have to code out the adaptive error.

I think the adaptive headlight you leave installed would behave as a headlight w/o adaptive features.
I have the left adaptive headlight forsale if you’re interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #3
coz_mo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

They do look different fyi. Adaptive have fresnol inner lenses and non adaptive are clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
ItsMicko
Micko
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
You can run with 1 non adaptive headlight.
You just have to code out the adaptive error.

I think the adaptive headlight you leave installed would behave as a headlight w/o adaptive features.
I have the left adaptive headlight forsale if you’re interested.
Thanks for the info! I managed to find an adaptive headlight at a good price so I don't need one now, but thanks for the offer
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
ItsMicko
Micko
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz_mo View Post
They do look different fyi. Adaptive have fresnol inner lenses and non adaptive are clear.
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0