E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I Hate Feeling Unsuccessful

07-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #89
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Instead of working for money, you could always figure out how to make money work for you. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably will have to end up working for money your entire life. I understand you work in the Bank, but learn finances and the tricks you can do with money and interest rates and ROI's. Risky? Yes, if you don't know how to manage it.

As for the car, if you were making 35k/year I'd say you couldn't afford it and should definitely not have done that. However, if you had been a real estate agent and making 35k/year, then no, don't sell the car as a nicer car is definitely one of the selling points for that profession (I wouldn't deal with a Real Estate agent driving say... a 95 Toyota Rav4, for example. He/she is probably not that good at their job atm). But for you, it's purely excess. Your car depreciates 30% annually, I really hope you love it that much you can afford to live a budgeted life and still factor in that kind of depreciation on any sort of enjoyment. That's not making money work for you. That's working for money.
      07-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #90
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
This is why I dont want to think about getting married/kids until my 30's. Im selfish and I want to live my 20's with no regrets. Still so many bucket list things to do.....
Totally agree. Your 20s are not something you can get back (best time period ever, only responsible for yourself. You would like a fool if you did the things you wanted to do in your 20s in your 30s.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #91
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
hhhmmm, lets see: his low paying job, a non working wife, his future 2 hungry children and the fact that he can barely afford the car payments

that about sums it up.....
where were you working when you were 21, fast food? what kind of piece of shit car were you driving then? did you live on your own or did you live with your parents? get your negativity out of here buddy

| It's not about the miles per gallon, it's about the smiles per gallon |
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #92
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep

I have read everyones comments so thank you for all the positive ones, and the negative responses that were irrelevant are a joke. Just a FYI I asked everyone where they were at 21 and about 80% of you didn't answer that rather critique me on where I am, and how I can't afford the car. Do you know how much I put down on the car, do you know what my payments are, do you know how much I paid for my car? No you don't I can afford a nice car, a nice place to live, food for my family, I have a college education without much debt. Seems as if most of you with the negative comments either didn't read my initial post, or are insecure about yourself and try to blatantly leave negative comments to try to bring someone down. Being who I am the negative comments will never bring me down just give me a good laugh! So thank you.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #93
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cKoNize View Post
where were you working when you were 21, fast food? what kind of piece of shit car were you driving then? did you live on your own or did you live with your parents? get your negativity out of here buddy
i was actually carrying around an M16 while proudly wearing a Marine Corps uniform.

when i was 21, this country was hit by the most devastating terrorist attack in the hirstory of the US - yeah, you better believe i was locked, cocked and ready to rock.

i would wake up at 5:30 in the morning almost everyday, stand in formation, account for myself amongst my peers and try my hardest everyday to uphold the traditions, values and expectations of being a United States Marine.

i was always clean shaven, my uniform was tighly pressed and starched to the point that i could have probably taken a 5.56 round to the chest and i wouldn't have felt a thing.

i was living on my own in California, going on deployments, training to protect the very shitbirds that start getto screen names on public forums by using numbers, capitalized and lowercased letters

i actually purchased my first car when i was 18 as well - a 1997 black Cavalier 5 speed. it was 1998 so it was only a year old with 5500 miles on it.

p.s.
i actually started doing all of that 4 weeks after i graduated high school.....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #94
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

I am sure I too owe a debt to U.S. Marines but I just don't know when or where.
Sometimes I wish I were American so I could join the military and get my inpenetrable badge of honor which endues me with the highest highest whateverzzzzz...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #95
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i was living on my own in California, going on deployments, training to protect the very shitbirds that start getto screen names on public forums by using numbers, capitalized and lowercased letters
Maybe if you contributed to my post I would respect you, instead you came in here with nothing but negativity trying to put someone down over the internet. r3cKoNiZe is just as "ghetto" as Litos, aka both aren't real words. Please learn to think before you speak because it will help you in the long run....

Quote:
p.s.
i actually started doing all of that 4 weeks after i graduated high school.....
I was in college classes 2 weeks after graduating high school when I was 17.....

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #96
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe if you contributed to my post I would respect you, instead you came in here with nothing but negativity trying to put someone down over the internet. r3cKoNiZe is just as "ghetto" as Litos, aka both aren't real words.
Litos is my son's name you moron.....and randomly capitalizing letters in the middle of a word is something a 13 year old would do...a 13 year old with a vagina and a deep love for Justin Bieber.....

Quote:
I was in college classes 2 weeks after graduating high school when I was 17.....
and you still lived at home and you were still a shitbird.

4 years later you're way in over your head with a car you can't afford and you're living in an apartment that houses an unemployed pregnant chick....

those decisions were made by you - you brought it upon yourself to feel unsuccessful.

i hope you enjoy your tax returns - some of that money used to belong to me.

you're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #97
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Quote:
I have read everyones comments so thank you for all the positive ones, and the negative responses that were irrelevant are a joke. Just a FYI I asked everyone where they were at 21 and about 80% of you didn't answer that rather critique me on where I am, and how I can't afford the car. Do you know how much I put down on the car, do you know what my payments are, do you know how much I paid for my car? No you don't I can afford a nice car, a nice place to live, food for my family, I have a college education without much debt. Seems as if most of you with the negative comments either didn't read my initial post, or are insecure about yourself and try to blatantly leave negative comments to try to bring someone down. Being who I am the negative comments will never bring me down just give me a good laugh! So thank you.
OP you should try to resist the urge to get defensive. I know you're getting a lot of advice, some better than others, but it was you that opened this can of worms. For many, including myself, your decisions up to this point have put you in a precarious position. Not the least of which is trying to maintain an impractical car for your situation. Yes, most of us neglected to mention where we were at 21 because, for the most part, it's irrelevant. Except that on some level you know you are behind the eight ball and you are looking for a success story with similar circumstances to your own.

However, that being said:

I moved out of the house at 18 rented an apt and was in a 4 year college @19. @21 After 2 years and much consternation decided to drop out of the University because i was bored to death and knowing that I would return, wanted to do so before my grades suffered. Being a long time patron of a particular alternative music scene, I started volunteering my time in a local club that was opening up. Not a huge place, some 3,000 sq.ft, but once it did I got a gig on the door, moved to bartender after 6 months, co-manager by the end of that first year (bought a Geo Metro). After a couple years I started a private speak-easy and had a DJ gig 3 nights a week at a more infamous club. I did this for 7 years living on my own and/or with GF's, living a dream of.... let's just say it was 'excessive'. With my oats fully soiled I returned to the University, earned a couple of degrees, got a job and eventually got married (much younger wife). We travel freely and often, we enjoy dual incomes and have all the toys we could ever want.

No, it's not the story that's going to help you at this point. However it is one of the ways that through realistic and rational decisions, even at 21, one can have their cake and eat it as too.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #98
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

yeyeyeyyeyeyeyeyeyyeyeyeyyeyeyeyeye!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #99
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos
Litos is my son's name you moron.....and randomly capitalizing letters in the middle of a word is something a 13 year old would do...a 13 year old with a vagina and a deep love for Justin Bieber.....

and you still lived at home and you were still a shitbird.

4 years later you're way in over your head with a car you can't afford and you're living in an apartment that houses an unemployed pregnant chick....

those decisions were made by you - you brought it upon yourself to feel unsuccessful.

i hope you enjoy your tax returns - some of that money used to belong to me.

you're welcome.
you're an idiot thank you for convincing me

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #100
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith.
Quote:
OP you should try to resist the urge to get defensive. I know you're getting a lot of advice, some better than others, but it was you that opened this can of worms. For many, including myself, your decisions up to this point have put you in a precarious position. Not the least of which is trying to maintain an impractical car for your situation. Yes, most of us neglected to mention where we were at 21 because, for the most part, it's irrelevant. Except that on some level you know you are behind the eight ball and you are looking for a success story with similar circumstances to your own.

However, that being said:

I moved out of the house at 18 rented an apt and was in a 4 year college @19. @21 After 2 years and much consternation decided to drop out of the University because i was bored to death and knowing that I would return, wanted to do so before my grades suffered. Being a long time patron of a particular alternative music scene, I started volunteering my time in a local club that was opening up. Not a huge place, some 3,000 sq.ft, but once it did I got a gig on the door, moved to bartender after 6 months, co-manager by the end of that first year (bought a Geo Metro). After a couple years I started a private speak-easy and had a DJ gig 3 nights a week at a more infamous club. I did this for 7 years living on my own and/or with GF's, living a dream of.... let's just say it was 'excessive'. With my oats fully soiled I returned to the University, earned a couple of degrees, got a job and eventually got married (much younger wife). We travel freely and often, we enjoy dual incomes and have all the toys we could ever want.

No, it's not the story that's going to help you at this point. However it is one of the ways that through realistic and rational decisions, even at 21, one can have their cake and eat it as too.
agreed, thank you for sharing your story and being informative. I just will never understand people that go on an Internet forum trying to talk you down when they themselves are the ones with problems, SMH.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #101
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you're an idiot thank you for convincing me
have you started your WIC paperwork yet !?!?

you'll qualify with your unfortunate situation.....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #102
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos
have you started your WIC paperwork yet !?!?

you'll qualify with your unfortunate situation.....
I'm sorry your son has a dad like you who has no common courtesy, this is going nowhere better for you to just not saying anything else

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #103
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry your son has a dad like you who has no common courtesy, this is going nowhere better for you to just not saying anything else
your sorry for MY son !?!?

you mean the son that has everything that he could ever want - the son that has a car seat in a 392 Challenger AND a 2012 lifted Ram Sport !??!

the same son that has clean clothes all the time, a Wii, a PS3, an iPad, a DSXL and all kinds of Spongebob and Mario toys !?!?

the son that drives around his powerwheels in the living room because he doesn't live in a 300sqft apartment.

the son that kisses me everytime before running upstairs to go to bed because his life is awesome !?!?

i think you're on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to "feeling sorry" for someone.....

p.s.
my son also has a mom...........and she works.......
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #104
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
your sorry for MY son !?!?

you mean the son that has everything that he could ever want - the son that has a car seat in a 392 Challenger AND a 2012 lifted Ram Sport !??!

the same son that has clean clothes all the time, a Wii, a PS3, an iPad, a DSXL and all kinds of Spongebob and Mario toys !?!?

the son that drives around his powerwheels in the living room because he doesn't live in a 300sqft apartment.

the son that kisses me everytime before running upstairs to go to bed because his life is awesome !?!?

i think you're on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to "feeling sorry" for someone.....

p.s.
my son also has a mom...........and she works.......
I'm jelly of you son.. I never had so many toys growing up and look what happened to me.
None of my business but if you make your son kiss you to thank you for his awesome life, he is going to be gay when he grows up - stop now
I feel sorry for myself every day, so nobody needs to give me any sympathy
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #105
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I'm jelly of you son.. I never had so many toys growing up and look what happened to me.
i didn't have shit growing up - i lived in a 3 bedroom trailer in a trailer park.

i shared a fold-out "bed couch" with my little brother - the living room was our bedroom........

i got a scholarship to go play baseball, but decided that going to the Marines was much better.

got out in 2002 - nowadays i make a comfortable living in the oil/gas business.

Quote:
None of my business but if you make your son kiss you to thank you for his awesome life, he is going to be gay when he grows up - stop now
lol - i don't make him do that.

and if you think a child kissing his dad is gay, then you are clearly not a parent.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #106
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

lol - i don't make him do that.

and if you think a child kissing his dad is gay, then you are clearly not a parent.
Actually you are right, I have no idea what makes people gay, or why I am trying to find out, maybe one too many 'gay' things I noticed recently (unrelated).. just wonder if gayness is related to parents forcing their kids to do things

anyways, sorry carry on..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #107
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually you are right, I have no idea what makes people gay,
watching soccer is one way.............................

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #108
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
What's important is where he is now and if he regrets anything. As time moves forward, the past matters less and less.

Quote:
No you don't I can afford a nice car, a nice place to live, food for my family, I have a college education without much debt.
But despite all these nice things, you still feel like something is lacking. Like it isn't enough. Otherwise you wouldn't have that sense of being unsuccessful.
Debt is bad, and since you said somewhere (can't be bothered to dig it up) that you can't afford certain things (I believe electronics or whatever?)
Now, that's awesome if you can live without that stuff, but if you have debt, can't afford to splurge, would I be correct to assume you don't have much in terms of savings? You're thinking of the "now", which when you have two kids, you should be thinking of the "future". Like saving up for college. A lot of people are telling you to ditch the car not because they are jealous (we all have a BMW here, some numerous) you have one at 21, but because it is something that can be sold for a very decent amount of money that can be put towards your kids' future, which is more important than your own if you want to be a good parent. Which is why most people think that kids at an age when you should be enjoying your life and being SELFISH should not be mixed with things like responsibility towards a helpless child that will not allow you to be selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
Unfortunately, young age is the time to have all those things...

Pure personal opinion but when I am over 60, I will absolutely care less about money... the same goes with a 401k, retirement and the like. When you are that old you.re needs should be minimal and you should have lived you're life to the fullest when you were young by that point. I feel like everone in this country has that backward only to be sorely disappointed when they hit that grandpa age and actually have that money and have no idea what to do with it or don't have that health to take advantage of it.

Just my honest 2c.
^ this!
Reminds me of this teller trying to convince me to increase the money I put into savings and RRSPs so that when I retire I can travel the world, to which I told her "I'd rather spend the money now and travel, what if I get hit by a bus and don't make it to retirement?"
      07-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #109
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

please get ur priority straight and dump ur BMW. This shit aint for you right now. You are the one that's on the internet asking for advice.

Get rid of the car (i dont care how much you put down, or how low you monthly payment is. The money that you put into the car is a luxury and deprecating object and you are not making enough to have a comfortable living right now)
spend the money on more education to build up yourself aka your resume
invest the money safely if you would like

bottom line, you dont make enough to have luxury RIGHT NOW. maybe in the future.

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust

Last edited by karliejai; 07-17-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #110
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Assets > Liabilities.

Once you understand thes difference between the two, life will be grand.

Your money can make money.
Appreciate 0