E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Kits compatible w/ APEX Arc-8

11-11-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Kits compatible w/ APEX Arc-8

Good morning all,

I did some digging prior to this, bear with me.
I see what APEX posted in their fitment guide. My question to those on Arc-8s AND with an aftermarket suspension kit, what are you running? I am coming from the BMW PS. Great setup, for sure. However, wanting something more. I like the ride height, where it is now. I do not mind a little bit harsher ride as long as it helps me stay planted. I am already on solid mounts and a LWFW installed, so comfort is already out the window. Budget? Ideally below 2000 USD. I checked out a few kits within this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454433
I still cannot determine what would be the subjective best bang for my buck, within my budget. If you got the time, please throw me your 2 cents!

Thanks for your time. <3
      11-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I run a square Arc-8 setup in 9", ET30 with 255/35/R18 all around. They work without issue on Koni Yellows and Eibach prokit springs. Doubt my setup is much different than the PS you're running now but figured you might appreciate the extra data point.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      11-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
I run a square Arc-8 setup in 9", ET30 with 255/35/R18 all around. They work without issue on Koni Yellows and Eibach prokit springs. Doubt my setup is much different than the PS you're running now but figured you might appreciate the extra data point.
Thank you so much for replying, I thought this post was going to get lost in the other threads... The setup you went with, does it feel stiffer than the PS setup (if you have driven on it)? I'm so daft coming into this realm. But I'm about to move into this part of the car since the drivetrain is practically complete in terms of modification. Again, thank you!
      11-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Thank you so much for replying, I thought this post was going to get lost in the other threads... The setup you went with, does it feel stiffer than the PS setup (if you have driven on it)? I'm so daft coming into this realm. But I'm about to move into this part of the car since the drivetrain is practically complete in terms of modification. Again, thank you!
I cannot comment about the feel vs. the PS setup as I've never experienced them first hand (or second hand for that matter). I came from the OEM sport setup that started to get pretty sloppy at the 180k km mark. Did a pretty comprehensive suspension refresh at that time. You can see the parts I threw at it in my garage pics. I went with the Koni yellows + prokit springs for their drop while maintaining great comfort and drivability. I've put nearly 100k on this setup and its still going strong. I was very happy with how much of an improvement this setup was vs. the OEM sport setup with regards to harshness. It was more comfortable yet handled and looked way better. I've done over 15 HPDE on this setup too and it's held up very well. Some people bitch about the progressive nature of the spring setup when tracking but I can't tell. I find the car VERY capable on the track and I'm not left wanting more out of my suspension (stickier tires on the other hand). I've heard that you can have Koni tune their shocks to specific spring combos if you buy direct from them, I'm not too sure how much more that would be but might be worth checking out.

Last edited by Volasko; 11-16-2020 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Quote:
I cannot comment about the feel vs. the PS setup as I've never experienced them first hand (or second hand for that matter). I came from the OEM sport setup that started to get pretty sloppy at the 180k km mark. Did a pretty comprehensive suspension refresh at that time. You can see the parts I threw at it in my garage pics. I went with the Koni yellows + prokit springs for their drop while maintaining great comfort and drivability. I've put nearly 100k on this setup and its still going strong. I was very happy with how much of an improvement this setup was vs. the OEM sport setup with regards to harshness. It was more comfortable yet handled and looked way better. I've done over 15 HPDE on this setup too and it's held up very well. Some people bitch about the progressive nature of the spring setup when tracking but I can't tell. I find the car VERY capable on the track and I'm not left wanting more out of my suspension (sticker tires on the other hand). I've heard that you can have Koni tune their shocks to specific spring combos if you buy direct from them, I'm not too sure how much more that would be but might be worth checking out.
Thank you SO much for the insight! I want to get into HPDE very soon! :,)
      11-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

@Noir when I was researching suspensions about 3 years ago there were 2 that kept coming up as being the next step above the BMW PS. For around $2k-$2.5k there’s an Ohlins coil over set up and then there was the TC Kline set ups also.

From memory the Ohlins is a better all around set up and the TC Kline more track focused.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      11-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
@Noir when I was researching suspensions about 3 years ago there were 2 that kept coming up as being the next step above the BMW PS. For around $2k-$2.5k there's an Ohlins coil over set up and then there was the TC Kline set ups also.

From memory the Ohlins is a better all around set up and the TC Kline more track focused.
Thank you so much, brother!!
      11-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

tetsuo111 ran the TC Kline set up on one of his e91’s. Might be worthwhile giving him a shout out to see what he thought.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      11-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #9
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

ST XTA. Best bang for the buck coilover setup that will ride decent as it's a good quality damper and have perform on track. Linear springs, camber plates, ride height adjustable, single adjustable shocks, and it's a KW damper in a ST body for under 1500$.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      11-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #10
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
tetsuo111 ran the TC Kline set up on one of his e91's. Might be worthwhile giving him a shout out to see what he thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
ST XTA. Best bang for the buck coilover setup that will ride decent as it's a good quality damper and have perform on track. Linear springs, camber plates, ride height adjustable, single adjustable shocks, and it's a KW damper in a ST body for under 1500$.
Thank you so much for the insight. Your build thread was a treat!! However, the parts listed say it's for the m3... unsure if these can swap over.

Quote:
tetsuo111 ran the TC Kline set up on one of his e91's. Might be worthwhile giving him a shout out to see what he thought.
I'm gonna DM here in a second :,)
      11-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Thank you so much for the insight. Your build thread was a treat!! However, the parts listed say it's for the m3... unsure if these can swap over.

I'm gonna DM here in a second :,)
There is ST XTA kit for the E90 non-M's.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      01-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #12
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

I am also interested in this discussion. I bought a car (2007 328xi sedan) with the ST X suspension (height adjustable, non-adjustable dampers). They are probably set too low at the present time for ideal track alignement, but there is no rubbing with street usage so far. Spring rates are apparently 210/550, but I have also read they are progressive. I find the springs and dampers are well matched for the street, but might not be adequate on a track. Upgraded rear springs should be easy as they are a standard race diametre, but upgraded front springs might be more of a challenge. I understand that camber plates are important to get adequate front camber for track usage. Interested in whether TSK94 can comment on the spring rates/damper settings of the ST XA versus the less expensive ST X set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #13
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

I'm currently running revalved Ohlins mi00 on my 128i with swift springs and can confirm they feel great. The ride is stiff over small bumps but the dampening over larger bumps and undulations feels amazing. The only downside is you have very limited height adjustment and at least on the e8x where space in the front wheel is tight it can be hard to fit some wheel/tire combos.
Appreciate 0