E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Has Anyone Fitted This Lip? New GT4 Lip for E92 M3 Rep/Style Bumper (Not a typo)

01-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
Nex_Gen
2007 335i M-Tech Space Grey
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M Spec

Has Anyone Fitted This Lip? New GT4 Lip for E92 M3 Rep/Style Bumper (Not a typo)

There was a new front lip that was put on the market recently. It is the GT4 lip now fitted to work on the M3 rep/style non-M bumpers. Those of us who own these bumpers know the struggle of variety when it comes to front lips.

I had been keeping my eye out on the market for one that last two years and found this one recently. Doubled checked with the vendor on fitment and application and they confirmed it IS for the M3 rep bumper. Hallelujah. The models shown with the lip installed looked completely legit and insanely appealing considering the GT4 lip is what I always had my eye on, but they were only offered for true M3s.

Long story short, put in the order for one, received the lip looking as advertised. Professional installation was recommended. Of course, I attempted to install it myself before resorting to having someone do it for me. I could not. Fitment was really tight, though it looks like it "could" work when mocked up to the bumper. I determined it definitely needed to be installed by professionals. Took the lip to four different shops. Two shops tried, and couldn't get it on. Two shops looked at it and didn't even want to attempt it.

I've been going back and forth with the vendor trying to find solutions (nothing really negative, just trying to make it work), but I exhausted all my options and could not find a way. So I'm in the process of returning it. At this point, I can't determine if I could have received the wrong lip (maybe got a true M3 lip instead), maybe I'm just incompetent (along with all the shops where I'm located), or maybe it's just a bad product. There's nothing out there to frame as reference. Vendor has stated nobody else has had issues mounting the lip and they have quite a few out there. So I'm wondering, has anyone one here tried and fitted this lip? I'm trying to find these people and get reviews and discussion going on it.

Disclaimer: This thread isn't meant to bash on the vendor I purchased this from, so it shall not be named. This same exact lip is being sold my multiple vendors and can found with a simple google search, "e92 m3 rep gt4 lip." I assume these lips are part of a group buy from a certain manufacturer probably in Asia by these vendors, who are then selling it to the public; as it's non-patented, and the same exact instruction guides and samples being shown by each vendor. I have not seen a true consumer feedback or review on this yet.

Here are links to a few:

https://coloradon5x.com/products/e9x...on-fiber-non-m

https://www.rushcustoms.com/products...ip-w-air-holes

Here is a pic of my own bumper from the mock up:
Attached Images

Last edited by Nex_Gen; 01-11-2021 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Sorry, don't know how to actually imbed the pictures. Here are links to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

When you say 2 shops tried but couldn't where did they have issue? Both coloradon5x and rush customs say professional installation is 100% required, but their instructions really don't look that difficult. Have you already drilled the lip and bumper?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #3
goblue30093
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i - Purple

Rush is a great shop that is local to me. I would call them and ask if they would measure it for you. Check if that matches what you have. It's also possible that your bumper is just a little different than most.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
From the pictures it does not look like the lip has a great fit.

See this picture:

When you zoom in on the website you can see large gaps. Interesting that on other cars the same lip seem to fit more flush. Perhaps they used more fasterns, they have more than 1 mold they come out of, or had some other tricks to make it more flush. I think if you follow their instructions it would fit 'ok'.

Those look like grade 1/4 inch 8 fasteners, I imagine you need fasteners like that with the washers etc to get it to 'pull' into position.

I had an original akrym cf lip for my mtech bumper. It got reked, bought the aftermarket copy. It fits like shit in my opinion. When I say shit, it has the same type of gaps as the lip on the grey car. 1 body shop said it was the wrong lip and would not even try and mount it. The other mounted it and said it's not great. Looking back I should have just done it myself but the body shop is literally a stone's throw from my house.
Appreciate 0