E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > eBay Bluetooth Streaming Box DIY and Reveiw

01-20-2021, 09:10 PM   #221
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If somebody would make one of those android head unit's that would attach
to the Most Bus the way the this box does it would be a pretty good thing.
Totally agreed. This is what's kept me from getting one for ages. I did, however, order the Andream MMI today, even though it does use the AUX port.

FYI, there are universal Android head units available now that have digital audio outputs. Doesn't quite help us with integrating them into our cars, but it's a step in the right direction, especially if you're running an external DSP with digital inputs.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #222
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-andro...b-rom-qb8060ci
https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-andro...b-rom-qb8060cc

Also Joy apprently.
See this thread.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...uality.432591/

Site Claims :"Amplifier System - Retains original fiber optic sound system, e.g., your Harman Kardon."
Not sure if that means it bypasses it or if the head unit output is optical. I have attempted to contact them without any luck.

Last edited by Aussieatlarge; 01-20-2021 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:41 PM   #223
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Does not make it clear how it connects to the orignal system most of
these use the aux for audio which is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:57 PM   #224
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

FYI, there are universal Android head units available now that have digital audio outputs. Doesn't quite help us with integrating them into our cars, but it's a step in the right direction, especially if you're running an external DSP with digital inputs.[/QUOTE]

The digital audio outs are optical? If so, is the issue that we use MOST protocol?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #225
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

They're coaxial, and you'll find them on the Intel based units. That, in itself, isn't an issue as there are cheap coaxial to optical converters. Yes, the issue is MOST.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #226
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

my guess is they use toslink which is the biggest optical standard .
Yes most is a different protocol developed for cars in Europe.
The first translators where Mobridges Most to toslink.
They are pretty expensive for what they do though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #227
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

All of the ones I've seen are coaxial and are only available on the recent Intel based units. Have not seen any of these trickle into the OEM replacement form factors, just universals at this time.

If they ever came out with an OEM replacement that integrated into the MOST bus and had digital output, I'd buy it. I'd run it to a DSP with digital inputs and build a system from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #228
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you happen to have Logic 7 Mobridge now makes a amp/dsp that has direct
Most Input. That's new. Also the newer EVO BMW head units have a lot more
of the functions that used to be in a seperate module integrated into the Head
Unit and much better software like android auto and other internet apps.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #229
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Avin sent me an email with these links:

https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-n...1-e92-e93.html

https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...7-e88-e89.html

I asked them whether the 8.8" radio incorporated the most-fibre-optic-amp-interface and am waiting for a response.

Can you gents clear something up for me please
1. With my old Dension500 gateway, the ipod is presented as though it were 5 CDS which allows for browsing.
2. The android head unit is selected via Aux.

With the BT units (either via the newer Dension gateways or the Grom or the unit that is the subject of this post, does it show up in Aux or as a CD?
Am I right in assuming the the most-fibre-optic-amp-interface would behave the same way and that anything requiring the Aux selection will sound bad?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #230
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

From the first link you posted,

Audio
Android Audio Output
All audio from the Android monitor is outputted to the BMW factory AUX input.
You MUST have a working AUX input for sound to work.

The 2nd link looks like it would work for any analog audio source straight into the factory amp, including the Android head units that use the AUX. The down side is that you have another format conversion happening, meaning the the head unit converts the signal from digital to analog, and then this device converts it back into digital. I'd also question the quality of both the DAC and ADC on both devices. Not ideal, by any means, but it would work
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #231
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

There really is no solution to integrating these head units. Like I said, I am happy to forego my 8.8 headunit and install a good 2DIN from the likes of Kenwood,.....
If I could get carplay to work through my factory amp, I would be stoked.
You saw that I was getting desperate to where I was going to use the carplay UI on my android unit and stream the audio directly from my phone via BT to a Grom unit.

Come on. You have been at this for a lot longer than me. What is the best solution?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #232
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you value Music you want to bail on the factory Amp.
Be it Hi Fi or Top Hi Fi.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #233
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
There really is no solution to integrating these head units. Like I said, I am happy to forego my 8.8 headunit and install a good 2DIN from the likes of Kenwood,.....
If I could get carplay to work through my factory amp, I would be stoked.
You saw that I was getting desperate to where I was going to use the carplay UI on my android unit and stream the audio directly from my phone via BT to a Grom unit.

Come on. You have been at this for a lot longer than me. What is the best solution?
To be honest, I think the most cost effective and easiest way to get BT audio, CarPlay and/or AndroidAuto in our cars is with one of the MMI boxes. Look at Andream and Wakaa - there are others, as well, as well as the expensive options from companies like BimmerTech, but those are the exact same thing. The MMIs also include the option to add rear view cameras and a 2nd video input that can be used for any other composite video source, i.e. front camera, TV tuner...

From there, you can take the analog audio that MMI outputs and...
A) Run it into your AUX.
B) Run it through that MOST adapter you linked.
C) Run it to an aftermarket amp/dsp.

I just ordered the Andream MMI and backup camera. It's not ideal, but it'll have to do. I'll use the AUX until I'm ready to rip the car apart and go with option C, above.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #234
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There might be a chance the AUX on the Bluetooth Box is better .
It would be interesting to find out.
People would talk about a component inserted in the cable of the
BMW Aux to prevent noise as a reason for the fidelity hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #235
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

I doubt it, I think it's the BMW input stage that's the problem. For what it's worth, my AUX input isn't noisy and doesn't sound any worse than CD on the base stereo. My only real gripe about it is that it can't take a high input voltage, so plugging my phone into it gets me decent sound quality, but not enough volume because when I start to turn up the volume on my phone, then the system starts distorting. Same thing goes when I use an external BT receiver that plugs into the AUX. At the same time, plugging my phone or using the same BT receiver on other(home) systems yields good results.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:54 PM   #236
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I honestly just skipped all that: got a Hiby R3 and connected it directly to my aftermarket amp. Controlled via my iPhone app. So source doesn't go thru the potential mess abs outputs to speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:10 AM   #237
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

This is a bit embarrassing but maybe now you will understand just how bad my Android unit's audio was and why I was so desperate. I found a lightening to USB and 2.5 audio adapter lying around. Plugged the USB into my CarPlay dongle and the 2.5 into the aux plug in the armrest. I muted the head unit and am using it only for the UI. The sound Quality is chalk and cheese compared to the head unit. One thing to note is that the aux plug in my armrest may be an add on with the Dension because it has no USB and includes a slider switch to select CD shuttle or iPod. I still select the aux option on the Bmw entertainment screen.
Honestly, I am satisfied.

Small issue is that i need to unplug the 2.5 from the adapter and plug it back in after each reboot or the volume is very low.

It just occurred to me that i might get the same end result by taking the rca from the head unit straight to the 2.5.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #238
coz_mo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

So is the ebay box still the go-to? Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123783948264

I have a 09' 335d with individual audio, non-idrive, bluetooth (for phone calls), and usb + aux in center console.

Looking for the best sound quality w/steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #239
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you already have usb not much point in getting one of these .
Bluetooth streaming will always be of lesser fidelity .
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #240
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Last chapter.
See the image of my menu options.
My gateway has the following inputs
iPod
USB
RCA (aux)

Note that the aux on this menu is different from the aux on the regular menu.
Connecting my lightening connector to RCA allows me to stream Spotify. Good enough quality.
Bluetooth adapter on the iPod connector does not work
USB will work but needs to be a music library (like the iPod)
I tried connecting the rca to the rca on the head unit and it was exactly as bad as the current setup which is aux.
I will try a bt to rca which should be ok.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 01:25 AM   #241
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I honestly just skipped all that: got a Hiby R3 and connected it directly to my aftermarket amp. Controlled via my iPhone app. So source doesn't go thru the potential mess abs outputs to speakers.
Whaddup bluewater328 , I'm on Maui. Care to expand on your setup? I have the stock amp , I believe Logic 7, in my 2006 330i. It has S663 and S677 VO. Do you have a connection diagram of your setup? Thinking about upgrading, but $$ lol.

thx.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #242
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivenene View Post
Whaddup bluewater328 , I'm on Maui. Care to expand on your setup? I have the stock amp , I believe Logic 7, in my 2006 330i. It has S663 and S677 VO. Do you have a connection diagram of your setup? Thinking about upgrading, but $$ lol.

thx.
Sorry, dunno if I still have my full diagram (I'll go search my stuff). If you're looking for the VXi TuN mobile traces to inputs and settings, I could probably provide screen shots (or possibly export the tune file). But that's not the physical setup, just how the processing goes.

I went from base audio, so its a little different in the options (a lot more intense actually). I had to recode, use the TechnicPNP harness, take the front signals and trace it back to a new JL vx800/8i (https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...plifiers-98633), run separate ch/wiring to doors for new tweets/mids; run separate lines to underseats mid-lows; bridge for sub in custom ported enclosure. Kept rear lines for backup and crossed it so its only getting the backup pitch. My amp has about 8 inputs...two are the stock front inputs, two I reserve for an optical connection (if I wanted to use something like a denison), and 4 open for RCAs: I use two for balanced input from my HibyR3 that I connect and leave in the center console. Since I dont have a screen, I just use my phone and my iphone has a HiBy app that allows me to control the R3 via bluetooth connection. So I navigate my playlists with the app, but the R3 is directly transmitting to the AMP.

I have a DRC-205 (https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...essories-98128) which allows me to toggle inputs. So if I want H0iRes direct stuff, I have a setting for the HibY inputs; If I want deck sound, its still there (As well as aux sound); if I want Tidal/Spotify via the phone, then I do that via Bluetooth. I suppose I could connect the phone as well, but I rather keep it separated. Waiting for some amplifier company to get a true clue and have wifi direct connections for music.

Yours might be pretty easy to just replace the amp (BAVSOUND has a rebranded amp that you plug and play for more power). Then you can just upgrade speakers as you desire.

If you're replacing/adding a deck/android system, there are actually a bunch of harnesses out there now that just intercept wiring to the deck as a plug and play. Your standard players have made harnesses already. Technic harness could be what you need to make it easy as it keeps most of the wiring and repurposes it. If you go with them, they give you the wiring diagram based on what harness you purchase/need.

Not sure if I answered your question, so lmk if you had specific questions beyond that.
Appreciate 0