E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > eBay Bluetooth Streaming Box DIY and Reveiw

06-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #111
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

So you buried it behind the stereo .
Maybe some heating issues there ?
Did you run extensions out for the USB/SD card slots?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #112
stamonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
So you buried it behind the stereo .
Maybe some heating issues there ?
Did you run extensions out for the USB/SD card slots?
Yeah, it's buried behind the stereo, there is decent space behind the climate control, but I suppose heat could be an issue.

I think all my box has is USB, but I only use the streaming bluetooth feature.

Where does everyone else have their boxes mounted?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #113
AlexNZL
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i (JDM)

I was looking at this link, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A...T/223506463442.

And it says "JAPANESE SPEC BMW NOT SUPPORTED"

My car is a Japanese Import 07 e92 335i, with CCC and a Stacker in the boot(but no insert for it) so I was hopefull that one of these units would work for me, but now im not sure.

Anyone see a reason it would not work?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #114
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNZL View Post
I was looking at this link, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A...T/223506463442.

And it says "JAPANESE SPEC BMW NOT SUPPORTED"

My car is a Japanese Import 07 e92 335i, with CCC and a Stacker in the boot(but no insert for it) so I was hopefull that one of these units would work for me, but now im not sure.

Anyone see a reason it would not work?
I don’t see why not. Also why not grab a new ccc from the US so you can have a working radio?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #115
AlexNZL
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i (JDM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I don’t see why not. Also why not grab a new ccc from the US so you can have a working radio?
Im actually in New Zealand so a US radio would not work here. But I have the CCC unlocked so the Japanese radio works I just have no nav.

I may just take a chance on one. I will probably get the one that doesnt say its not compatible then I may be able to get a refund if it wont work.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #116
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Do you have a Most Bus .
It would be best to get standard tools going first to see
whats in your car.
As long as they use the same Most Bus CDC player they use
in the US it should work.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #117
tuckerware
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

First off, big thanks to Nickco43 for the thorough DIY. Not sure if you are aware, but the Mr12Volt eBay seller links to this post as the install guide.

I essentially followed the hardware installation step by step but when it came to coding I figured it would be worth trying without. Lo and behold, it was recognized as a CDC on my 2008 M3 with Professional radio immediately. No coding needed. Made this a very simple install.
Appreciate 2
Thorin117.50
BSG33528.50
      07-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #118
vibroluxious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 3281 X-Drive

I pulled the trigger on the box without an SD Card since I didn't need it. I hooked it up and was all set to code the radio and lo and behold on my 2009 328i professional radio, CDC popped right up without coding. My car was not pre-wired for a cd changer so this was a bit of a surprise.
I set the volume levels for BT music to match my radio, aux, USB and CD player and all is well.
The sound is much better that the tunai firefly I was using. I didn't expect that so that was a happy discovery.
I use spotify to stream and the system will automatically call it up when I switch to CDC without having to open the app in my phone.
This was another happy surprise.
Overall I'm pretty stoked to have the steering wheel controls and display functional with BT streaming and still be able to use the factory BT phone system.

Thanks OP for bringing this box to light. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      09-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #119
thefrog1394
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Just installed this. Super easy install. Assuming you already have NCS Expert installed, coding the VO only takes a few mins. Just try not to drop the MOST connector under the seat and spend 10 minutes trying to find it like I did lol.

I used the crappy T-taps that came with the kit and tapped into the brown/green? (radio power) and brown (gnd) wires. Pushed the box behind the climate controls. There is plenty of room.

Compared to my blackberry music gateway (an a2dp bluetooth aux streaming box), I feel like songs have less bass, and maybe sound less "full". Its very possible that the blackberry box is doing some audio processing to "liven" up the music, so who knows. Also seems to be a little quieter than AUX or tuner inputs. It is nice not to have the background hiss when listening to podcasts or other speech.

So far I have a few outstanding questions on how this works that may have impact on day-to-day usage:

Turning off the car/radio pauses playback but doesn't disconnect bluetooth immediately. It seems to disconnect pretty quickly once I'm inside, but I'm not sure whether it is because I am going out of bluetooth range, or if there is just a few minute delay before the bluetooth shuts down. Re-connect is pretty much instant when I power back on the radio which is great.

Hopefully multiple device connections are handled well. That was always an annoyance on my old bluetooth aux device. If I need to reset the box when the bluetooth memory fills up or to change the device pairing order, it will be annoying to have to pull out the climate control to get to the box and its reset button.

It seems like the song title doesn't come across. I see "Track 2" displayed by default, but I can click around and see the artist name if I try.

I can't seem to find a way to pause playback other than switching away from the CD changer source. This would be nice for podcasts.

I'm operating under the assumption that the head unit power I tapped into shuts off after 20 mins and so this won't drain the battery. It doesn't seem to be a true switched power line.

Overall seems like a good upgrade. I'm one of those weirdos that really likes steering wheel controls. I hate having to switch between Waze and Spotify every time I want to jump to the next track.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #120
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I found I had to turn up the volume on the streaming bluetooth on the
phone in order to get better fidelity out of the streaming.
They mention this in the instructions.
The usb sd card playback is identical to the cd player as far as I can
tell.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:02 AM   #121
thefrog1394
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I found I had to turn up the volume on the streaming bluetooth on the
phone in order to get better fidelity out of the streaming.
They mention this in the instructions.
The usb sd card playback is identical to the cd player as far as I can
tell.
Phone volume is all the way up. In the world of Spotify, I can't imagine downloading songs onto an SD card to be honest lol. I suspect the weak link is the A2DP codec used. Probably just SBC, the basic Bluetooth A2DP codec, which is quite a bit worse than something like AAC or AptX which are supported on higher end headphones and stereo systems.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #122
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is not much Music that I consider worth listening to past the
early 70's. Some but not much.
I am probably missing something but it's well hidden .
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #123
mofugginyeti
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Installed the box without sd yesterday from the NJ seller. Everything is working good, put the included mic into the factory position and I'm told it has good call quality. My only issue is I can't seem to get into the settings menu to tweak volumes. When i press the right knob it jumps to currently playing. Is there a trick to this? I emailed the seller but havent heard back.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #124
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is no volume setting for individual sources.
I don't see this as being a problem. USB volume seems
to be the same a CD volume. You can set your phone
volume for Bluetooth phone or music streaming from
your phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #125
eyelobes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I've got a question regarding this. I have bluetooth phone in my 2007 non idrive already and would like to use this box for music and audio streaming only. My idea is to purchase the Avin 10.25" system for non-idrive (cutting up the dash). Since that is android I am wondering if I can just connect that to the bluetooth box instead of the aux like the system requires. I've heard the audio quality on the android units are crap due to that aux connector.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #126
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelobes View Post
I've got a question regarding this. I have bluetooth phone in my 2007 non idrive already and would like to use this box for music and audio streaming only. My idea is to purchase the Avin 10.25" system for non-idrive (cutting up the dash). Since that is android I am wondering if I can just connect that to the bluetooth box instead of the aux like the system requires. I've heard the audio quality on the android units are crap due to that aux connector.
It will work only if the AVIN unit supports A2DP. This box is not limited to what it can connect to as long as the transmitting side supports the A2DP profile.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #127
eyelobes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
It will work only if the AVIN unit supports A2DP. This box is not limited to what it can connect to as long as the transmitting side supports the A2DP profile.
Looks like it does. and the price isn't bad right now either

https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia...1-e92-e93.html
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #128
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I think the point is to run the Avin into the aux on the Bluetooth
Box via a hardwire thus avoiding the BMW aux. You would still have
two A2DP's the Avin's and the Bluetooth boxe's . You would have
to always select the bluetooth box aux to get the avin to run sound as you
would for the BMW aux.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #129
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Pre LCI 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
nice DIY....but it would have been much easier by getting a Kinivo BTC480 Bluetooth kit. You don't have to remove the stock headunit or any kind of wiring. Plus, it's WAYYY cheaper.
Looks wack af with aux bluetooth modules. This is the propper way to do it. If youre scared away by simply removing a headunit this probbably is the wrong place for you
      11-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #130
flyrr100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, F150 crew cab

Hi guys. I've been reading the posts on here. I have a 2008 328i with iDrive. I want a USB to hook up my iPhone. Right now I have the temporary $10 bluetooth adaptor in the AUX plug. It works surprisingly well, but needs recharging every week and as I drive 300+ miles weekly it's a pain in the behind if I forget. I want a full time, hard connected USB.
I'm looking at the GROM system. Installation looks pretty straight forward. But lots of talk about re-coding the car to make it work through the CD changer. Here I'm clueless. I've called dealers and installers and been told they won't do the work, or they don't know how to. I did have a Denison system on a Jag and my Jag guy activated this easily. But I'm thinking BMW systems are a little more complicated.
Looking for advise. Teach me like I'm a 5 year old how to, if necessary, re-code a BMW system.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #131
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

No matter which one of these you use cdc coding is one of the simplest
things to code.
If you live near a major city there is bound to be coders that can do it
for you if you don't want deal with it you can generally find coders.

Down loading and setting up the coding software on a PC only costs
you your time assuming you have a PC.

The trouble may be that coding of most bus modules may require
an ICOM Cable instead of cheap K/D can cable.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-03-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #132
judas
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Hi! Thanks for the DIY... Unfortunately it is not working for me.

E92 M3 w/ professional audio

Did the MOST loop adaptation and it seems to be working as I'm getting audio from radio, but when I switch to CDC it tells me to insert a CD. If I insert a CD in the trunk it plays.

I can connect to Car Kit Bluetooth but getting no audio from the device, seems as it is not recognized by the head unit. Any ideas? Thanks!
Appreciate 0