E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Stripped Transmission Filler Plug

11-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
soybmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91 328xi; 2013 e70 3.5x

Stripped Transmission Filler Plug

So this weekend I decided to tackle a few maintenance items on my e91. Specifically, I attempted to chang the transfer case fluid, front and rear differential fluid, and the transmission fluid.

The transfer case and differential fluids went without a hitch (although reinstalling that 18mm transfer case bracket was a pain). The transmission fluid, however, is where I'm stuck. Fortunately i started with trying to remove the fill plug first. However, the fill plug is seized and stripped. I initially used an off set box wrench to remove the plug, but it was so stuck (even after soaking in pb blaster) that the box wrench stripped the plug. I then tried a bolt extractor socket which connected well, but eventually stripped the plug even further. It is essentially round now.

My options now are: (1) simply foregoing changing the trans fluid, which I don't want to do because I'd like to keep the car as long as possible, or (2) taking it to an indy to see if they can remove the bolt. I just don't know if there are any tricks and indy would try that I haven't already.

As everyone here knows, BMW says trans fluid is "lifetime" fluid. I think the general consensus is that "lifetime" means 100K miles. My car has just over 100K miles and could easily go another 100K I think, though I don't know if the current trans fluid could (probably not).

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Since you tried using an open end wrench, I'm going to assume the fill plug has an external head. You can potentially try a big set of Vice Grips and lock them down as hard as possible. You can also possibly try filing flat spots on the rounded off head. Some heat by way of a MAPP gas torch might help.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

You didn't say what transmission you have, but I'm assuming you have the GA6L45R since the bolt is seized. I used vice grips like the previous poster and just replaced the drain plug altogether. That was at 50k on my e91. At your mileage, I'd be replacing the pan altogether or at least dropping it to replace the filter. Aside from being a better transmission in general, the ZF setup is much easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
soybmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91 328xi; 2013 e70 3.5x

Yeah, I have the GM transmission which has the fill plug with an external head, not an allen key bolt like, I believe, the ZF transmission has. Vice grips were a bust. I've ordered a different kind of extractor socket that appears to actually cut into to the bolt, rather than simply grip it. I'll try some heat as well. Assuming I can get this fill plug off, I will be replacing the filter as well. Keeping the pan though. Appreciate the advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Yeah, I don't know what it is about that GM transmission pan that makes that bolt seize so often. I have that in my E91 in the ZF transmission in my E60. Any other car that I've ever had with a metal drain pan hasn't had the same problems as the GM in BMWs to include other GMs. I'm also surprised at how for years that was produced in e90s, and yet there aren't any suppliers that offer the drain pan at a cheaper price than genuine because that would be the way to go.

On a side note, it's been a few years since I changed the fluid, so I can't really remember if I did it, but it probably would be a good idea to coat the threads of a new bolt with anti-seize.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Yeah, I don't know what it is about that GM transmission pan that makes that bolt seize so often. I have that in my E91 in the ZF transmission in my E60. Any other car that I've ever had with a metal drain pan hasn't had the same problems as the GM in BMWs to include other GMs. I'm also surprised at how for years that was produced in e90s, and yet there aren't any suppliers that offer the drain pan at a cheaper price than genuine because that would be the way to go.

On a side note, it's been a few years since I changed the fluid, so I can't really remember if I did it, but it probably would be a good idea to coat the threads of a new bolt with anti-seize.
There is a generic part available for the GM tranny drain that is steel and less likely to strip (ie is a normal bolt instead of an hex key). No solution for the fill though and I'm in the same boat. If you can estimate correctly, the dip stick plug sits along the top edge by the exhaust (passenger side). It's a two-stage pull plug (in a strange way sorta like your trunk interior plugs) but comes out pretty easy - I had to fill there in a pinch.
Appreciate 0